2022-23 Coaches Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "True" PG's on recent WSU rosters

2015-2016 - Fred VanVleet, Ty Taylor (How'd that backup PG work out?)
    2016-2017 - Was Daishon Smith a "true" PG - I can't remember much about him, Kaelen Malone (walkon) , J.R. Simon (walkon)
    2017-2018 - Samajae Haynes-Jones (?), Kaelen Malone (walkon)
    2018-2019 - Ricky Torres, Samajae Haynes-Jones, Eli Farrakhan
    2019-2020 - Noah Fernandes, Grant Sherfield
    2020-2021 - Alterique Gilbert, (Porter was primarily a SG that year)
    2021-2022 -
    Qua Grant (Porter began transitioning to PG that year)
    2022-2023 - Porter, Shammah Scott

There were actual point guards on teams after FVV. Gilbert and Porter were effective. Other than those two, there's a lot of 1-year guys and a lot of ho-hum guys. Bell can probably be nearly as effective as Haynes-Jones and that would put him in the mid-range of the PG's after FVV. And I'm not certain Haynes-Jones wasn't a "combo" and not a "true" PG.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      "True" PG's on recent WSU rosters

2020-2021 - Alterique Gilbert, (Porter was primarily a SG that year)
      2021-2022 - [/B]Qua Grant (Porter began transitioning to PG that year)

I still do not understand why you seem to insist that Porter was a SG. Could he play it......Yes. Was that his primary position......No.

Craig came here as a PG. As a Juco sophomore, he was a PG and ranked 13th nationally in assists (6.5).

The only 2 games he started was at PG, the 2 games Gilbert didn't start. Out of the total minutes that Gilbert did not play (238), Trevin Wade played 72. That left 166 minutes for Porter at PG which was just better than 2/3s of his total minutes. He was NOT primarily a SG and was brought here as a PG, but could play both.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I'm going to listen to his show for the 3rd time later today.

A lot of people don't like change. I'm old, and I'm one of those people. I also wasn't shy about my feelings of our program, but more directly, college sports in general. My enthusiasm for all this has been diminished, a lot, and I don't know how much, if any, will ever return.

And I certainly wasn't giddy about our new hire. But the more I listen, the more I pay attention, the more I like. Will he be great here? I don't know, I doubt HCPM knows. In fact, I know he doesn't. But what I do know is this....he's got a different way of doing things in an environment of college athletics that is completely different from the one I grew up, and old, watching.

The best managers observe, adapt, change and are successful. I think HCPM is pretty well situated to make his program successful.

And unless I'm really, really, REALLY wrong, he's going to do it the right way with the right people. And personally, I'm okay with that, even if Marshall like success doesn't come with it.

And yes, we need a PG or more correctly, ball handlers. There's plenty of blame to go around in regards to why we don't have more. You can blame the previous AD for a bad hire. You can blame the kids that haven't done their classwork one way or the other. You can blame compliance at both schools. You can blame the coaching staff for not finding someone else (probably the least amount of blame imho) and you can blame the support of the fans, you and me, for not doing our part including NIL so the staff have access to more options. Lots of blame to go around.

But I challenge everyone to go back and listen to the show again. There's fluff, for sure, but there's good stuff in there too, if you're willing to listen (not about a PG for sure but still, good stuff).

This is still likely to be a rough season. The schedule is challenging. The only real gimmie I see is SIU and don't think they won't be fired up coming in here. I still think 9X is number for the over under on wins. Anything about 13 seems like an awful lot of progress/success. Or our league is terrible (possibly a combination of both).
        KenPom has the projected win total at 14. I think there are a few reasons to believe this team would be a bit undervalued in that metric. So, 9 seems low to me.

That being said, anything about 14 or 15 to the eye seems optimistic.

Comment

Working...
        X