2022-23 Coaches Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

17 turnovers is significant, but not much of a change from last year when we had a PG who's now playing for the Cavs.
    We averaged 12.5 TOs last year. We averaged 12.6 TOs our recent F4 year. We averaged 12.5 TOs last year. TOs on their own doesn't necessarily tell a lot. We also got spoiled with 4 years of Fred.

However, those are about as high an average that you would want to see. With this rebuild, I expect higher than that. We'll see how our new coach's system can adjust for that, but it could be rough, long season. I hope not.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

We averaged 12.5 TOs last year. We averaged 12.6 TOs our recent F4 year. We averaged 12.5 TOs last year. TOs on their own doesn't necessarily tell a lot. We also got spoiled with 4 years of Fred.

However, those are about as high an average that you would want to see. With this rebuild, I expect higher than that. We'll see how our new coach's system can adjust for that, but it could be rough, long season. I hope not.
      Comparing a season average with a single exhibition game at the beginning of a season is nowhere near an apples/apples comparison. As I recall there were some 20 TO games last year. Those were outliers, but you would expect the first game of a season with some unusual floor combinations to be an outlier as well.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Comparing a season average with a single exhibition game at the beginning of a season is nowhere near an apples/apples comparison. As I recall there were some 20 TO games last year. Those were outliers, but you would expect the first game of a season with some unusual floor combinations to be an outlier as well.
        Yes, there were 3 games 20 or more TOs. 20 in an OT loss to Missouri, 25 in a double OT win over SMU and 20 in a loss to Houston.

Comment

Mills recruited a PG. Everything that's hit the public indicates his eligibility may have been in question, but was expected to have a straight forward resolution.

At that point any further PG recruits would have seen the situation as signing up to be the backup PG. That probably eliminated any that would have been acceptable to the coaching staff. There weren't that many PG's in the portal and they were in high demand.

If Mills had played reasonable rotations instead of playing everybody and playing some strange combinations, the Shox would have blown out Rogers by 40+. Getting down on the Shox because they didn't blow out a DII team in an exhibition game while not looking at why the game was as close as it was is probably a result of confirmation bias, where results are viewed as confirmation of a previously held bias.

17 turnovers is significant, but not much of a change from last year when we had a PG who's now playing for the Cavs.

What's more concerning than not having "a true PG" is the fact that we only have 10 available scholarship players and 3 of them are named Abidde, Bamba, and Ighovodja. Stuff like that can happen with a coaching change.
          Kinda odd to make up statement out of thin air (how much we would have won by in some other scenario that didn't happen) in order to try to confirm your own beliefs .... then turn around and accuse OTHERS of confirmation bias.

Comment

• We should play guys with different names

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              We should play guys with different names
              You are right, but that was my point in my earlier post. I have some friends who have had excellent results with the latest Alzheimer's meds. You might want to check with your doc.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Even if Cortes was eligible, only having one PG on a roster is suicide. We all talked about that when trying to fill out the lineup. Some of us even mentioned if something happened to Cortes we would be screwed.

I'm all for having multiple people on the court that can handle the ball, but there's a difference between handling it and being able to handle the pressure and such that comes with bringing the ball up the court or getting things going or being able to truly create for yourself or others.

This could be a very painful season.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Even if Cortes was eligible, only having one PG on a roster is suicide. We all talked about that when trying to fill out the lineup. Some of us even mentioned if something happened to Cortes we would be screwed.

I'm all for having multiple people on the court that can handle the ball, but there's a difference between handling it and being able to handle the pressure and such that comes with bringing the ball up the court or getting things going or being able to truly create for yourself or others.

This could be a very painful season.
                  Meh. It could be.

I sat through too many "who is our PG?" seasons with 3G to get too riled up about it this early. We had a bunch of SG and no PG really since Fred left.

I am not saying it is going to workout, but I think the fixation is a product of having nothing else to talk about more than anything else.

I was very pro Mills using that final scholarship on a PG as well - he clearly thought it was better served elsewhere. He does not value that spot as much as many on this board do, and I trust his judgment more than most on the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                    I was very pro Mills using that final scholarship on a PG as well - he clearly thought it was better served elsewhere. He does not value that spot as much as many on this board do, and I trust his judgment more than most on the board.
                    I for one am unable to determine what HCPM was thinking. He may have wanted to pull in another point guard but was simply unable to attract a player in the that position that he was interested in or vice-versa. Or maybe he didn't care about another point guard. I really don't think any of us now that answer for sure.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 1, 2023, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Meh. It could be.

I sat through too many "who is our PG?" seasons with 3G to get too riled up about it this early. We had a bunch of SG and no PG really since Fred left.

I am not saying it is going to workout, but I think the fixation is a product of having nothing else to talk about more than anything else.

Historical evidence would point to the importance of having a good PG, or two, in successful seasons and not just at WSU.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Mills recruited a PG. Everything that's hit the public indicates his eligibility may have been in question, but was expected to have a straight forward resolution.

At that point any further PG recruits would have seen the situation as signing up to be the backup PG. That probably eliminated any that would have been acceptable to the coaching staff. There weren't that many PG's in the portal and they were in high demand.

If Mills had played reasonable rotations instead of playing everybody and playing some strange combinations, the Shox would have blown out Rogers by 40+. Getting down on the Shox because they didn't blow out a DII team in an exhibition game while not looking at why the game was as close as it was is probably a result of confirmation bias, where results are viewed as confirmation of a previously held bias.

What's more concerning than not having "a true PG" is the fact that we only have 10 available scholarship players and 3 of them are named Abidde, Bamba, and Ighovodja. Stuff like that can happen with a coaching change.
                        Bingo!! Very logical and rational post. I particularly agree about the confirmation of a previously held bias. I think there is a good amount of that going on with HCPM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I for one an unable to determine what HCPM was thinking. He may have wanted to pull in another point guard but was simply unable to attract a player in the that position that he was interested. Or maybe he didn't care about another point guard. I really don't think any of us now that answer for sure.
                          I agree, I think he was just unable to get one interested. Which for his credit, is in part due to starting in the middle of the portal season. Or he might have really been banking on Abmas and he was left without a plan B once Max took his time then went elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Kinda odd to make up statement out of thin air (how much we would have won by in some other scenario that didn't happen) in order to try to confirm your own beliefs .... then turn around and accuse OTHERS of confirmation bias.
                            Almost as odd as putting so much stock in a single exhibition games against Rogers State...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Almost as odd as putting so much stock in a single exhibition games against Rogers State...
                              Not really. One of those things is real, the other is made up. Right now all we have to go off of is the Rogers State game. If things are drastically different on Monday, then the story will be different because we have more data.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Not really. One of those things is real, the other is made up. Right now all we have to go off of is the Rogers State game. If things are drastically different on Monday, then the story will be different because we have more data.
                                "real" Lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X