Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

"real" Lol!
    Are you challenging that the game did not actually happen on Sunday?

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Historical evidence would point to the importance of having a good PG, or two, in successful seasons and not just at WSU.
      There were many seasons where off guards were made into PG. Like... Almost every year since Fred.
      I remember getting F'ing rolled by Oklahoma State at IBA because we still had a SG Connor F playing PG still early that season. Took weeks for 3G to find which guard he wanted to be the point. Then we used Landry as a PG, who was a SG (and truly should have been a SG) and we got better once he settled into it.

There are no Landry's or Connor's on this team - But the principle is exactly the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

There were many seasons where off guards were made into PG. Like... Almost every year since Fred.
        I remember getting F'ing rolled by Oklahoma State at IBA because we still had a SG Connor F playing PG still early that season. Took weeks for 3G to find which guard he wanted to be the point. Then we used Landry as a PG, who was a SG (and truly should have been a SG) and we got better once he settled into it.

There are no Landry's or Connor's on this team - But the principle is exactly the same.
        So as long as we have a first round NBA draft pick at SG to play PG we are ok without a true PG is what you are saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

So as long as we have a first round NBA draft pick at SG to play PG we are ok without a true PG is what you are saying.
          I am saying there have been multiple seasons where WSU functioned without a "true PG" and the head coach did not go out of his way to recruit a "true PG".

It just isn't as unusual as everyone here is pretending.

Comment

• I'm going to listen to his show for the 3rd time later today.

A lot of people don't like change. I'm old, and I'm one of those people. I also wasn't shy about my feelings of our program, but more directly, college sports in general. My enthusiasm for all this has been diminished, a lot, and I don't know how much, if any, will ever return.

And I certainly wasn't giddy about our new hire. But the more I listen, the more I pay attention, the more I like. Will he be great here? I don't know, I doubt HCPM knows. In fact, I know he doesn't. But what I do know is this....he's got a different way of doing things in an environment of college athletics that is completely different from the one I grew up, and old, watching.

The best managers observe, adapt, change and are successful. I think HCPM is pretty well situated to make his program successful.

And unless I'm really, really, REALLY wrong, he's going to do it the right way with the right people. And personally, I'm okay with that, even if Marshall like success doesn't come with it.

And yes, we need a PG or more correctly, ball handlers. There's plenty of blame to go around in regards to why we don't have more. You can blame the previous AD for a bad hire. You can blame the kids that haven't done their classwork one way or the other. You can blame compliance at both schools. You can blame the coaching staff for not finding someone else (probably the least amount of blame imho) and you can blame the support of the fans, you and me, for not doing our part including NIL so the staff have access to more options. Lots of blame to go around.

But I challenge everyone to go back and listen to the show again. There's fluff, for sure, but there's good stuff in there too, if you're willing to listen (not about a PG for sure but still, good stuff).

This is still likely to be a rough season. The schedule is challenging. The only real gimmie I see is SIU and don't think they won't be fired up coming in here. I still think 9X is number for the over under on wins. Anything about 13 seems like an awful lot of progress/success. Or our league is terrible (possibly a combination of both).

Comment

He does not value that spot as much as many on this board do, and I trust his judgment more than ANYONE on the board.
              FIFY

Comment

• All I want to see this year is progress over the course of the year. It is possible that wins may be tough and dicey part if not all of this season. If that comes to pass, I hope we progress to the point where we are one of those "oh ****, not them" teams come conference tournament time.

I think Doc is spot on that HCPM seems to be doing things suited for the way the college game is NOW, not the way it was in the past. I do think HCPM's focus on data and metrics is what players need to learn more about if they plan on playing professionally, as that is a huge part of preparation now. Am I convinced that all that data is the be-all-end-all of everything? No, but it sure helps reveal things that may have not been noticed before.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I am saying there have been multiple seasons where WSU functioned without a "true PG" and the head coach did not go out of his way to recruit a "true PG".

It just isn't as unusual as everyone here is pretending.
                  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think it's unusual to go into a season with no eligible PG on the roster. It's not a death sentence, but it's not unfair to be skeptical, in my opinion.

The most recent seasons where WSU did not have a PG on the roster were 2016-2017 and 2017-2018, but even then the guys handling the rock were very, very elite players. Before that you're probably going pre-Final Four before you find a WSU squad without a true PG on the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think it's unusual to go into a season with no eligible PG on the roster. It's not a death sentence, but it's not unfair to be skeptical, in my opinion.

The most recent seasons where WSU did not have a PG on the roster were 2016-2017 and 2017-2018, but even then the guys handling the rock were very, very elite players. Before that you're probably going pre-Final Four before you find a WSU squad without a true PG on the roster.
                    Depends on how you define Toure.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

This is probably spot on. Agreed.

I think my annoyance comes between being skeptical and writing the team off already. I want to see them play for a few weeks / months and see how things are progressing before I label having no PG as a disaster.

Comment

• I prefer to keep wearing my rose colored glasses. Hell, if Jerome Tang can win his first year with 100% turnover, why can't Mills?

Now, LFG!!!

Comment

This is probably spot on. Agreed.

I think my annoyance comes between being skeptical and writing the team off already. I want to see them play for a few weeks / months and see how things are progressing before I label having no PG as a disaster.
                          and I think people are getting equally annoyed that any sort of acknowledgment of negative items is being equated to "writing the team off" or "confirmation bias". All of us are giving the team a chance .. or else we wouldn't be talking about their games on the message boards. But just talking about negative things doesn't mean you are jumping off a cliff. Acknowledging that we have no true PG that is eligible AND we committed 17 TOs against a mid tier D2 team isn't a great start doesn't mean we have given up.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            Hell, if Jerome Tang can win his first year with 100% turnover, why can't Mills?
                            Because Tang had a future NBA point guard.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Because Tang had a future NBA point guard.
                              Stop it!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                Even if Cortes was eligible, only having one PG on a roster is suicide. We all talked about that when trying to fill out the lineup. Some of us even mentioned if something happened to Cortes we would be screwed.

I'm all for having multiple people on the court that can handle the ball, but there's a difference between handling it and being able to handle the pressure and such that comes with bringing the ball up the court or getting things going or being able to truly create for yourself or others.

This could be a very painful season.
                                I guess we need to just call the season over and wait for baseball if we have no one at point

Comment

Working...
                                X