Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Pac is kinda screwed

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

San Diego State, Gonzaga, Utah State, CSU would all be the second or third best bball program in the AAC. Oregon State, Wazzou, Boise top 4. Play our games at 3 am for all I care if we play the best teams possible, I’ll find a way to watch lol.

and I really enjoy the west coast and would love a lot of these trips
      It would be awful. We would be on a massive island. We would have no footing in the South and East where we recruit the most. Tip times would be horrible for us. The school as a whole would lose connection to where they pull students from. The only way it would even remotely be something to be considered is if we got a full 10-15 million share like Gonzaga

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

Utah State gonna be the one that causes the MWC collapse

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Quick reaction ....

1) There is safety in numbers
          2) There is a better opportunity to form reasonable East and West divisions that would prevent stupid travel expenses from exploding
          3) There are a lot more marquee football and basketball games baked into the schedule
          First of all, I should have had Army as a Football Member only.

Next, we need to go for this merger and add Gonzaga, Grand Canyon, and Saint Mary's from West Coast Conference. Then move Air Force and Colorado State to the East Division. That would give each Division 15 Teams. Then create a 20-game Conference Schedule against your division. You play Home and Away against 6 teams. Then you play either home or away against 8 teams to get to a total of 20.

In addition, you are required to play four games against the other division, i.e., two-home and two-away each season. However, these are not considered conference games. The Conference Senior Director decides each year who you play, i.e., what is in the best interest of the Conference. There would still be a winner take all for the Conference Tournament each year to be held in Las Vegas, East versus West. The top team in each Division gets a first-round bye as all 30 Teams make the conference Tournament. You would have to either win 4 or 5 games to get the automatic birth.

This could possibly generate, 2-3 teams for the football playoffs each year.
          This would generate, 5-7 teams each year for the NCAA Tournament.

Comment

• Comment

• So Utah State appears to be out the door. UNLV might be. IF UNLV joins that gives the PAC 8 and they're safe as a conference for the time being. IF UNLV decides to stay, the PAC's next decision would be interesting. Would they have to end up offering Hawaii a full membership? They're currently in the MWC as football only and in the Big West I think for everything else.

San Jose doesn't really have options. Them backing the MWC is no surprise. The PAC wants nothing to do with New Mexico, but I do. Wyoming is in a tough spot because the state is mostly forests and has something like a 10-1 cow to human ratio. Nevada isn't a bad school, but doesn't seem to be in play, at least for now. I could see the PAC eventually coming around to them.

Interesting that Utah State might be the straw that broke the MWC back.

While part of me hates the massive conference realignment that we've seen over the past decade+, I still kind of enjoy the chaos and speculation.

Utah State and UNLV to the PAC with AFA and New Mexico to the AAC and call it good.

Then the MWC can rebuild with FCS schools like CUSA had to do. The west could use more of those anyway. First targets would be the two Dakota States. Pretty sure those two could afford the jump if they really wanted to. The Montana schools might be looked at, but it seems like a while back one of them was struggling a bit.

Cal State-Sacramento? Eastern Washington has had some good football. Would Idaho come back to FBS? Northern Arizona? Portland State? Stephen F. Austin? Cal-Davis? Northern Colorado? Weber State? Abilene Christian? Tarleton State? Texas Southern?

That's really about all of the options. I'm sure there are a few others but I also didn't want to go beyond Texas and the Dakota's. A MWC without the schools they've lost and the ones they might lose isn't going to pull much. I suppose they could definitely get New Mexico State and possibly UTEP, which would make great travel partners for the non-revenue schools.

Nevada
              San Jose State
              Wyoming
              *Hawaii

New Mexico State
              UTEP

NDSU
              SDSU

That wouldn't be an atrocious lineup. Not sexy either, but the Dakota schools do bring some prestige with them, especially NDSU. That at least gets you safe for football. If they wanted travel partners for other sports, Wyoming would be the one most isolated and there aren't a lot of options outside of Northern Colorado.

But this also assumes we take New Mexico and I have no idea if that's even on the mind of the AAC leadership. I'd just love for The Pit to be involved in the AAC.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Infant Jesus, don't even know a word yet, just a little infant, so cuddly, but still omnipotent - please let us latch on with Gonzaga and get a PAC-12 invite
                As an AFA football fan I follow MWC fan boards and I have yet to see WSU on anyone's radar. The obvious basketball only school paired with Gonzaga is St Mary's.

Comment

• These "commitments" mean absolutely nothing. Everything is fluid.

Comment

• This is all absolutely dumb. Basically all of this back-and-forth between what will be the same conference members plus the addition of Washington State and Oregon State. Big freaking deal.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

As an AFA football fan I follow MWC fan boards and I have yet to see WSU on anyone's radar. The obvious basketball only school paired with Gonzaga is St Mary's.
                      St. Mary's, from what I understand, is basically HC Randy Bennett. They play in an arena that makes FAU and UTSA look good.

Grand Canyon makes more sense for a league with growth aspirations.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

St. Mary's, from what I understand, is basically HC Randy Bennett. They play in an arena that makes FAU and UTSA look good.

Grand Canyon makes more sense for a league with growth aspirations.
                        Probably depends on who the Zags want to tag along. They most likely can dictate terms. Amazing when you think that not too long ago we were on similar footing with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Utah State and UNLV to the PAC with AFA and New Mexico to the AAC and call it good.

Then the MWC can rebuild with FCS schools like CUSA had to do. The west could use more of those anyway. First targets would be the two Dakota States. Pretty sure those two could afford the jump if they really wanted to. The Montana schools might be looked at, but it seems like a while back one of them was struggling a bit.

Cal State-Sacramento? Eastern Washington has had some good football. Would Idaho come back to FBS? Northern Arizona? Portland State? Stephen F. Austin? Cal-Davis? Northern Colorado? Weber State? Abilene Christian? Tarleton State? Texas Southern?

That's really about all of the options. I'm sure there are a few others but I also didn't want to go beyond Texas and the Dakota's. A MWC without the schools they've lost and the ones they might lose isn't going to pull much. I suppose they could definitely get New Mexico State and possibly UTEP, which would make great travel partners for the non-revenue schools.

Nevada
                          San Jose State
                          Wyoming
                          *Hawaii

New Mexico State
                          UTEP

NDSU
                          SDSU

That wouldn't be an atrocious lineup. Not sexy either, but the Dakota schools do bring some prestige with them, especially NDSU. That at least gets you safe for football. If they wanted travel partners for other sports, Wyoming would be the one most isolated and there aren't a lot of options outside of Northern Colorado.

But this also assumes we take New Mexico and I have no idea if that's even on the mind of the AAC leadership. I'd just love for The Pit to be involved in the AAC.

Seems like Texas State and UTEP would be good options for the MWC under this scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            This is all absolutely dumb. Basically all of this back-and-forth between what will be the same conference members plus the addition of Washington State and Oregon State. Big freaking deal.
                            It's about money bro; the P12 conference has a lot of it. Have you been paying attention? You sound jealous.

The conference brand means something. Why do you think all the podunk catholic schools shelled out 9 figures to keep the Big East name? I mean yeah... it was silly and slightly embarrassing for a non-power basketball conference to adorn themselves with a brand whose substance is nothing like what the name formally represented... but... it was better than creating a new name all things considered.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

It's about money bro; the P12 conference has a lot of it. Have you been paying attention? You sound jealous.

The conference brand means something. Why do you think all the podunk catholic schools shelled out 9 figures to keep the Big East name? I mean yeah... it was silly and slightly embarrassing for a non-power basketball conference to adorn themselves with a brand whose substance is nothing like what the name formally represented... but... it was better than creating a new name all things considered.
                              A brand?? With Fresno State and Washington State representing? There’s is NO way that league is gonna get anything close to decent TV money. It’s MWC 2.0 with a meaningless PAC12 logo. This isn’t even close to a new Big East comparison.

Apparently they didn’t have enough $$ to help bring Memphis, Tulane, and USF into that hodgepodge of P4 rejects.

Jealous? lol, of 10:00 basketball games against Fresno State on FS2?

I’ll pass.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Utah State and UNLV to the PAC with AFA and New Mexico to the AAC and call it good...........................for now

Comment

Working...
                                X