Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PAC taking UNLV and Utah State would be great as it would guarantee that we could pull AFA (I think that's already going to happen) and New Mexico. I don't care much about Wyoming but Nevada wouldn't be bad, outside of being on a bit of an island at that point. Still worth considering. But I think AFA and New Mexico have to be targets to go after hard. AFA will help football a bit and New Mexico should help basketball a fair amount.

Wyoming can be decent at either, but I'm not sure they're reliable. There was a time I was willing to bring them in should we land the other three front range schools and they insisted. I'm pretty indifferent on them. Was really hoping Utah State would remain in play, but it sounds like they may not be an option. Nevada would make a little more sense if we had them.

Would the AAC be interested in another non-football school and go after a Grand Canyon just so there was a 4th western team for most sports?

It will be interesting to see what the MWC does should the AAC and PAC end up taking a couple more schools. I'd be curious as to which FCS schools, or new FBS Texas schools might consider joining. Because that would really be their only course of action to maintain football as a conference. Hawaii and San Jose State are pretty much guaranteed to be left and maybe a couple of others.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Serious question. From a football only perspective, who has the greater draw, audience, history, future etc., New Mexico or Wyoming? Basketball and probably most of the other sports…I would assume is New Mexico. But just looking at football only, I am not sure. Interested to hear what others think.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
        Serious question. From a football only perspective, who has the greater draw, audience, history, future etc., New Mexico or Wyoming? Basketball and probably most of the other sports…I would assume is New Mexico. But just looking at football only, I am not sure. Interested to hear what others think.
        I'm not sure if either bring much of a draw to football in general. Wyoming is hurt by being in one of the least populated states in the union. The state population is about 70k less than the Wichita metro area. I'm guessing Wyoming doesn't have much of a national or regional fan base either. New Mexico isn't a large state (2.1M), smaller than Kansas, but New Mexico is the flagship of the state. How popular is football in New Mexico in general? I have no idea, but I think from a viewing numbers perspective that UNM would bring more value than UW.

When it comes to attendance, Wyoming has an edge of about 3k per game on average over the past 5 years. Not significant nor overly relevant to media deals. UNM does have a bigger stadium which means more potential growth of game day fans.

Neither school has ever won the MWC. Same with AFA, Hawaii, UNLV, Nevada, and Colorado State.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm skeptical that UNM could add enough eyes for broadcast FB to cover their revenue share. It seems they would dilute the revenue pool. AFA should be revenue positive. Maybe between the two of them it might be revenue neutral.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Apparently the AAC schools have been leery about adding schools to the west of their current footprint.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
              Apparently the AAC schools have been leery about adding schools to the west of their current footprint.
              That only happened when AFA and CSU backed out on us a few years ago. And I believe we had our eyes on more if that worked out. I think the west was always going to be a target when the timing worked out. With the PAC picking pieces now, the timing is right.

But if there's too much concern about going too far west, AFA and UNM still make sense. UNM would also bring in one of the best basketball venues in the country. If we lose Memphis and Tulane, I say just add those two and call it good. I don't like the jump from Colorado Springs to Reno should Utah State and UNLV both go to the PAC. I'd get the hesitancy there, even though Nevada would be a pretty solid add if it worked out.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm not sure if either bring much of a draw to football in general. Wyoming is hurt by being in one of the least populated states in the union. The state population is about 70k less than the Wichita metro area. I'm guessing Wyoming doesn't have much of a national or regional fan base either. New Mexico isn't a large state (2.1M), smaller than Kansas, but New Mexico is the flagship of the state. How popular is football in New Mexico in general? I have no idea, but I think from a viewing numbers perspective that UNM would bring more value than UW.

When it comes to attendance, Wyoming has an edge of about 3k per game on average over the past 5 years. Not significant nor overly relevant to media deals. UNM does have a bigger stadium which means more potential growth of game day fans.

Neither school has ever won the MWC. Same with AFA, Hawaii, UNLV, Nevada, and Colorado State.
                UNM unlike UW does bring a major metro area which fits the AAC model.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Starting football would be a great use of that surplus $100 million sitting in athletic department coffers. All we have to do is put a tax an a ballot to have the city build a 60,000 seat stadium. There's no doubt that would pass in a landslide. The excitement of that new team starting up in a new stadium in Wichita wouldn't have any trouble attracting 60,000 rabid football fans away from supporting KU or K-State, or even OU.

Those first couple of years when we'd likely be playing teams like McNeese State, Houston Christian, Northwestern State, Incarnate Word, and others in the Southland Conference would ensure some lopsided wins and maintain the fan level and support at a fever pitch.

Can't miss!
                  I believe you're totally underestimating the ICT cavers.

Comment

• Is there any benefit in the AAC and PAC merging into one conference?
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Is there any benefit in the AAC and PAC merging into one conference?
                      I think so. Here is my thought on a full merger:
                      Conference Team Division Football Basketball
                      AAC Army Black Knights East Yes Yes
                      AAC Charlotte 49ers East Yes Yes
                      AAC East Carolina Pirates East Yes Yes
                      AAC Florida Atlantic Owls East Yes Yes
                      AAC Memphis Tigers East Yes Yes
                      AAC Navy Midshipmen East Yes No
                      AAC N. Texas Mean Green East Yes Yes
                      AAC Rice Owls East Yes Yes
                      AAC S. Florida Bulls East Yes Yes
                      AAC Temple Owls East Yes Yes
                      AAC Tulane Green Wave East Yes Yes
                      AAC Tulsa Golden Hurricane East Yes Yes
                      AAC UAB Blazers East Yes Yes
                      AAC UTSA Roadrunners East Yes Yes
                      AAC Wichita St. Shockers East No Yes
                      MWC Air Force Falcons West Yes Yes
                      MWC Boise State Broncos West Yes Yes
                      MWC Colorado State Rams West Yes Yes
                      MWC Fresno State Bulldogs West Yes Yes
                      MWC Hawai'i Rainbow Warrior West Yes Yes
                      MWC Nevada Wolf Pack West Yes Yes
                      MWC New Mexico Lobos West Yes Yes
                      MWC San Diego St. Aztecs West Yes Yes
                      MWC San José St. Spartans West Yes Yes
                      MWC UNLV Rebels West Yes Yes
                      MWC Utah State Aggies West Yes Yes
                      MWC Wyoming Cowboys West Yes Yes
                      PAC-12 Oregon State Beavers West Yes Yes
                      PAC-12 Washington St. Cougars West Yes Yes
                      How many teams out of this would make the FBS 12 or 16 (future) team playoff in football?
                      How many teams each year would make the NCAA Basketball Tournament?​

Comment

• AAC saved for the time being.

Comment

• Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post

AAC saved for the time being.
                          Should be poaching time now.

Comment

• Some other context .. P-E is private equity

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

I think so. Here is my thought on a full merger:
                                Conference Team Division Football Basketball
                                AAC Army Black Knights East Yes Yes
                                AAC Charlotte 49ers East Yes Yes
                                AAC East Carolina Pirates East Yes Yes
                                AAC Florida Atlantic Owls East Yes Yes
                                AAC Memphis Tigers East Yes Yes
                                AAC Navy Midshipmen East Yes No
                                AAC N. Texas Mean Green East Yes Yes
                                AAC Rice Owls East Yes Yes
                                AAC S. Florida Bulls East Yes Yes
                                AAC Temple Owls East Yes Yes
                                AAC Tulane Green Wave East Yes Yes
                                AAC Tulsa Golden Hurricane East Yes Yes
                                AAC UAB Blazers East Yes Yes
                                AAC UTSA Roadrunners East Yes Yes
                                AAC Wichita St. Shockers East No Yes
                                MWC Air Force Falcons West Yes Yes
                                MWC Boise State Broncos West Yes Yes
                                MWC Colorado State Rams West Yes Yes
                                MWC Fresno State Bulldogs West Yes Yes
                                MWC Hawai'i Rainbow Warrior West Yes Yes
                                MWC Nevada Wolf Pack West Yes Yes
                                MWC New Mexico Lobos West Yes Yes
                                MWC San Diego St. Aztecs West Yes Yes
                                MWC San José St. Spartans West Yes Yes
                                MWC UNLV Rebels West Yes Yes
                                MWC Utah State Aggies West Yes Yes
                                MWC Wyoming Cowboys West Yes Yes
                                PAC-12 Oregon State Beavers West Yes Yes
                                PAC-12 Washington St. Cougars West Yes Yes
                                How many teams out of this would make the FBS 12 or 16 (future) team playoff in football?
                                How many teams each year would make the NCAA Basketball Tournament?​
                                Quick reaction ....

1) There is safety in numbers
                                2) There is a better opportunity to form reasonable East and West divisions that would prevent stupid travel expenses from exploding
                                3) There are a lot more marquee football and basketball games baked into the schedule
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X