Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Can someone explain to me what the point is to a 24-team conference? Yah I know it’s all financial. But what’s the point? Would you even play a member of your conference every 5 years? I mean it’s just beyond dumb and yes I believe the more casual fans will lose interest in that mess. I hope it kills them.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        Lmao.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

This **** is pretty funny. I guarantee the Big 12 is having buyer's remorse now. They could have scooped up AZ, AZ State...maybe even Oregon at this point which is much better than the AAC schools. Washington, CU and Utah

Oh and BTW, WSU basketball is pretty much irrelevant now. The next few years will be a swan song. In 5 years, the NCAA tourney will be all power 4 schools and maybe the Big East. But it sure was fun for a while.

ACC, Big 10, SEC and Big 12/Pac 12 leftover conference will be all that matters.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Things have been chancing quickly in the college athletics; mainly for the worst.

To think everyone was talking about 4-5 conferences going to 16 teams as “super conferences”. This is just crazy. I’m fine with conferences realignment and expansion when it makes sense, but this is just crazy and makes no sense, even with the additional $$$ they will get. Regional rivalries are good for all involved; fans, schools, players, TV, etc. It gives a sense of relationship and tradition that makes (made) colleges sports so great. It’s fun to travel to close games. It’s fun to hate other schools and teams. It’s good to have games in the same time zones for TV. It’s less taxing on the athletes. The value of nostalgia is a real thing. Lots of positives that don’t show up on the balance sheet, but definitely effect the bottom line.

NIL and the transfer portal is all well and good in theory, but this Wild West regulations they have now are a clown show. Players should have the opportunity to earn some extra coin off their image and efforts, but pay-to-play is not the answer. If you want to do that, nothing is stoping you from going pro overseas. Make your money if you want, but you can’t get the benefit of playing overseas for $$$ and the eyeballs your get on you by playing college basketball increasing your odds of going to the NBA. Make your choice and live with it.

Likewise, if someone wants to transfer because they want more playing time, or they want to be closer to home, or their coach leaves, or they want to go to a better academic institution, that should be allowed. Letting players transfer when and where ever they want and how often they want, should not be allowed though. I know people say “if you got offered a better job somewhere else you would take it” and you are right; but also often times their are other factors that go into that (pay back of bonuses, salary clawback, breach of contract, etc.) and its not as wide opening and wheeling and dealing as the transfer world.

Another factor to the portal, is the fans can develop the relationship with the players and teams. It’s fun to see players come in and grow and develop as an athlete and a person. To go from a boy/girl to a man/woman. If the whole roster is overturn, the fans are basically rooting for hired mercenaries. With no connection, those special moments become far less meaningful, because you aren’t as invest in the athletes as people.

These decisions also kill the little guy, especially women’s sports they claim to care some much about. You think the UCLA volleyball and softball team are psyched for their trips to NJ and Maryland in the winter? Are Minnesota and Iowa going to take up water polo? I’m starting to think the NCAA should look into ending conference affiliation for football and keep them for everything else, since that really is what this is all about. Let football programs all operate like Norte Dame, and go back to the P5-6 model for all other sports. Maybe college athletics can be saved.

TL:DR I wonder how long the college athletics system can sustain itself before people get burnt out and stop tuning in.
            The Assman

Comment

UCLA not in the “Conference of Champions”!?! Has anyone conducted a welfare check on Bill Walton?

Comment

I think we are moving to a Power 3 Conferences and everybody else will be the mid-majors and below.

The Big 12 and Pac 12 leftovers are being left behind.

The next 2 things I expect are for the Power 3 Conferences to move to full scholarships for all athletes and a division of the basketball tournament into at least 2 divisions if not 3 like football.

Actually, basketball has been going downhill ever since we stopped shooting the ball into peach baskets.

Some of you don't do change well. Life changes, get used to it.

Comment

Realignment makes me feel like we're a dinghy in a harbor full of freighters and cruise ships.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    Realignment makes me feel like we're a dinghy in a harbor full of freighters and cruise ships.
                    You feel that way because.......well........that's exactly what it is.

Comment

I think I'm going to take a moment to go into my safe space and reminisce about Fairmount College beating Southwestern with the first forward football pass west of the mississippi river under coleman lanterns. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh those were the days. [wipes tear]

Comment

Originally posted by calfan View Post
                        I think we are moving to a Power 3 Conferences and everybody else will be the mid-majors and below.

The Big 12 and Pac 12 leftovers are being left behind.

The next 2 things I expect are for the Power 3 Conferences to move to full scholarships for all athletes and a division of the basketball tournament into at least 2 divisions if not 3 like football.

Actually, basketball has been going downhill ever since we stopped shooting the ball into peach baskets.

Some of you don't do change well. Life changes, get used to it.

lol horrible take
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm obviously making **** up and haven't had a lot of time to really think things through.
                          Don't rack your brain too hard. After all is said and done, you'll be just as close to right as those who will rack their brain, but you'll avoid a trip to the nut house.

Comment

College sports is merely moving into an era for now where the line between major conference and mid-major are seriously blurred. If Stanford of all schools is technically a mid-major after all this, we got problems lol

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                              College sports is merely moving into an era for now where the line between major conference and mid-major are seriously blurred. If Stanford of all schools is technically a mid-major after all this, we got problems lol
                              Technically there is mid major. It's just the medias way of downgrading the smaller schools. I didn't think the NCAA has a major, mid major or low major category. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Technically there is no mid major. It's just the medias way of downgrading the smaller schools. I didn't think the NCAA has a major, mid major or low major category. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X