Fred Van Vleet a Shocker Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Van Vleet a Shocker Star

With the good news that GM will stay at WSU, I think we should have a new thread for FVV in this forum. He deserves it, don't you think?:bball_spin:
    OK! Let start with this fine article submitted by Mrclove4 yesterday
    Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Why not start from the very beginning with the 36 pages and 886 replies from the Recruiting site and transfer them if that is possible?

Comment

I'm lovin' me some FVV. I would love to see him become the Valley's 2012-2013 version of Nic Moore next season, but wondering with MA in the mix how much playing time he'll get in order to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
        Why not start from the very beginning with the 36 pages and 886 replies from the Recruiting site and transfer them if that is possible?
        Good idea! Kai, can you do that?
        Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

In a 55-45 game at the State level in Illinois, a 6' PG goes for 18 and 10 with 5 assists. And leads a team with no players taller than 6' against a team with 7 guys from 6'3" to 6'7". That's got to be one "no fear" basketball player. His team went to the State finals and a 32-3 record without a player taller than 6'. In Illinois! Soak that in for just a minute. WSU is likely to be picked "mid-pack" in the Valley next year. FVV is likely to live being in that underdog role. It seems he's been in that role all through HS and every summer he played AAU bll. All he does is lead his team to wins.

A 6' point guard with a double-double including 10 boards. Think about that for a minute. He was the team's leading scorer and led his team in assists with 6.6 a game.

Tyrone will love his crossovers. He's got at least 3 that I've seen. Standard, behind the back, and between the legs. He uses the between-the-legs crossover in a stop-and-go dribble drive. (All-out drive to the right, dead stop with left leg extended forward, crossover between the legs, all-out drive to the left with his defender still backpedaling to cover the drive to the right.) I've seen video of a game where he did the behind-the-back crossover while dribbling backwards to get out of the lane and in position to make a pass. He didn't need to make a pass after that move. His defender was fooled so bad that Fred had an uncontested route to the basket, with the help of a nice screen down the lane to seal off the help defender.

He's got some handles. He could declare for the Globetrotters and skip college if he wanted.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The title of this thread is not really accurate. FVV hasn't played a second of Shocker basketball, so he's not a Shocker star yet. He's just a high school basketball star. Let's wait until he's been here at least a year before making him a star at Wichita State.

Comment

Ya know, he said Coach would be there next year 4 him
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                The title of this thread is not really accurate. FVV hasn't played a second of Shocker basketball, so he's not a Shocker star yet. He's just a high school basketball star. Let's wait until he's been here at least a year before making him a star at Wichita State.
                I would have to agree with 1979shocker on this. I have been the biggest FVV fan on this borad and been very vocal about it. I know FVV will be a great PG at WSU. But, lets take a deep breath for a moment(including myself) I just don't want to set expectations to high. Yes, Fred is a outstanding H.S player, just give him time to adjust to the college game. FVV will be the kind of player that at first will defer to the older more experience players, but once he gets comfortable he will show more and more of his game. FVV will become a star, just give him time to do it...

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                  Like the scores and scores of pages that we posted about Orupke before he became a Shocker star.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                    Like the scores and scores of pages that we posted about Orupke before he became a Shocker star.
                    I was going to say the same thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by shox1989

Originally Posted by KC Shox
                      I was going to say the same thing.

I am assuming this is sarcasm about EO, as he has one more season to prove he is a star. I do expect FVV to be a legit star for our Shockers however.

Comment

I have pretty good faith that FVV will be a star here at WSU. Maybe not his first year, and maybe not even his 2nd. But soon, he'll be a big name in the Valley.

Comment

Isn't the EO thread really more of a novelty thread whose primary reason for staying alive is simply to have it stay alive.

Also, EO is a fan favorite if for nothing else than the trials and tribulations he went through to actually become a Shocker and for loyalty that both the Coaching staff showed to him and the EO showed to WSU.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Isn't the EO thread really more of a novelty thread whose primary reason for staying alive is simply to have it stay alive.

Also, EO is a fan favorite for nothing else than the trials and tribtulations he went through to actually become a Shocker and for loyalty that both the Coaching staff showed to him and the EO showed to WSU.
                            This.

Plus the struggle for him to get out of Nigeria. That thread is about a lot more than Orukpe's production on the court. I suspect Orukpe is the most popular and interesting to watch 1.3 points per game player in WSU's history.

I expect FVV will end up a lot like Braeuer. A player everybody admired and respected, who we follow long after his playing days at WSU are over.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              I expect FVV will end up a lot like Braeuer. A player everybody admired and respected, who we follow long after his playing days at WSU are over.
                              I assume you're talking character and not career. In that case I agree.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                              X