The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I'm sure that Kevin Saal is not sleeping well with the number of problems he has to solve with the basketball program struggling.

The next step to save money is to "kill" our basketball program, or our entire athletic program, or move down to Div. 2.

I would think that a good number of our businesses in Wichita, know that the university is important to our community future, and their corporate hiring needs. The Athletic program contributes to the university in many ways. The problem is that losing brings out a climate of despair, and Covid didn't help. We saw the fire given to our community with the hiring of Jim Schaus, Mark Turgeon, and Gregg Marshall. Kevin Saal needs to do this again.
    I don't think I said anything about killing the program or trying to save money. I was just adding that on top of paying any buyouts and existing costs for running the athletic department, the NIL is an added layer. I'm sure the money out there exists from donors large and small. That is ADKS's giant task right now - to harness that desire in the community to give towards something we aren't achieving right now.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Well of course it does. My point is that the NIL world adds another wrinkle in the revenue side of things that didn't exist (officially) prior to the last year or so.
      I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just piling on. You are spot on.

Comment

• One thing with NIL is that it enables smaller donors to make a serious impact when grouped together. I have never had the means to significantly impact donations. I don't feel like SASO would even notice me. Through the directed giving that I have access to with NIL I at least feel my donations are important and going where I want. The big fish are much needed and always will be, but NIL can give up s small fish a better way to help imo.
        Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just piling on. You are spot on.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• The problems right now may be:

1) Big donors giving to SASO now versus holding funds back not wanting to look like "a continue approval of IB as head coach"

2) Wokeness crowd - WSU looking like they didn't give IB a good chance of succeeding regardless of the fact that he was way overpaid (with sweet $ guarantees) for an inexperienced head coach and his "success" as interim coach, even though it was "covid boosted".

Comment

• I have little doubt that ADKS pretty much knows what he wants to do. The question is what will he be able to do. That said a huge turn around could get him to change his mind but I have not seen anything at this point to think this team is capable of that. To many me, me, me players and the toughness of this team is certainly open to question as well. We will know a lot more about this team after the next 3 games but coming out those with a 4-game losing streak certainly doesn't see like a crazy bet at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                One thing with NIL is that it enables smaller donors to make a serious impact when grouped together. I have never had the means to significantly impact donations. I don't feel like SASO would even notice me. Through the directed giving that I have access to with NIL I at least feel my donations are important and going where I want. The big fish are much needed and always will be, but NIL can give up s small fish a better way to help imo.
                Can't think like this. Oklahoma started a new collective that will make a go of it with donors at $25 a month. That's not a lot. And I get it's Oklahoma.

Just 2000 people do that....that's 50K per month to make differences for some student athletes. Not many are going to get 100K a year. If any at WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Can't think like this. Oklahoma started a new collective that will make a go of it with donors at $25 a month. That's not a lot. And I get it's Oklahoma.

Just 2000 people do that....that's 50K per month to make differences for some student athletes. Not many are going to get 100K a year. If any at WSU.
                  We could make it performance based. Did you run the sets? Here’s $5k. Oh, you jacked up a bunch of threes and played terrible? Here’s $1.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

We could make it performance based. Did you run the sets? Here’s $5k. Oh, you jacked up a bunch of threes and played terrible? Here’s $1.
                    Can we make it like a swear jar? If they jack up a 3 or take a horrible shot .. they put a dollar in the YMCA-ball Jar. First player to play a whole game without that crap gets the jar.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I may not have expressed it very well. I see the NIL collectives as the perfect way for small donors to be involved in a meaningful manner. That is where I will focus my donations anyway.
                      Go Shocks!

Comment

• I think there is a realistic chance that Kevin has to hire 3 head coaches between now and July 1st. I am not sure that has ever happened to a previous AD at WSU.

Comment

• “He wont coach here again, he wont coach here again, he wont coach here again, he wont wont wont, oh boo boo hoo, please don’t talk about him coaching here again! I am stickboy and I am concerned …………from a liability standpoint “.

Comment

• Well, he won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

I don't think I said anything about killing the program or trying to save money. I was just adding that on top of paying any buyouts and existing costs for running the athletic department, the NIL is an added layer. I'm sure the money out there exists from donors large and small. That is ADKS's giant task right now - to harness that desire in the community to give towards something we aren't achieving right now.
                              I didn't say you said anything about "killing" the program. But WSU (the Innovation Campus, etc.) will have a huge downturn in momentum if we stick with the status quo, The last time, our athletic department had money difficulties, in the 1980's, the solution by Lew Perkins was to "kill" the football program. That is the task that Kevin Saal took on. He has to solve the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
                                I think there is a realistic chance that Kevin has to hire 3 head coaches between now and July 1st. I am not sure that has ever happened to a previous AD at WSU.
                                2 is a mortal lock. I'd set the over under at 3X

Comment

Working...
                                X