No announcement yet.

The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets brig back John Bardo or how about Shocker Football while we are at it.

Comment

• It's nice to dream a little, even if not realistic. However, really I'd just like to bring back the yearly confidence in achieving a "respected", and "winning" product. 2nd/3rd or even 5th/6th in a "tough" AAC still felt relatively good. Eighth or ninth place in the AAC (especially in a downward trending AAC) and losing in the 1st Round in the AAC Tournament isn't close to "Winning or Respect". This year felt like the Cohen/Thompson days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        It's nice to dream a little, even if not realistic. However, really I'd just like to bring back the yearly confidence in achieving a "respected", and "winning" product. 2nd/3rd or even 5th/6th in a "tough" AAC still felt relatively good. Eighth or ninth place in the AAC (especially in a downward trending AAC) and losing in the 1st Round in the AAC Tournament isn't close to "Winning or Respect". This year felt like the Cohen/Thompson days.
        I agree whole heartedly

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

you sure about that?

It is not that simple. There are many reasons why. Winning cures a lot of woes. Whether you want to admit it or not, COVID does still impact attendance. Aging population base of fans. Economic issues are another. Not having Gregg as coach is another. Should I keep going?
          Accurate assessment. I’m 64. The wife and I have had season tickets since GM’s third year. We had our son get us general admission tickets prior to the season tickets. We live in Topeka so it is a bit of trouble making it to the games. We weren’t going to renew this year until the athletic director was changed. I really disliked DB. Spent several hours in Hawaii airport with him. He was very arrogant and dismissive with the Shocker fans. Kinda of rambling here but our fan base is aging and Democrat’s inflation is also taking a toll. I am looking forward to the season. I think we will be better than the preseason pick.

Comment

• The annual financial statements for the WSU Intercollegiate Athletic Association (ICAA) for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2022 are now posted on goShockers.com.

https://goshockers.com/documents/202...ments_2022.pdf

My initial impressions are that while the WSU athletic department is not rolling in dough they are actually better than what I thought they might be.

The ICAA's net assets have increased from $3.9 million at June 30, 2021 to $6.9 million at June 30, 2022. However, their cash position is only up $363 thousand. Most of the increase in net assets was due to retiring liabilities as those dropped $2.6 million year-over-year. However, most of that was a $1.9 million reduction in deferred revenue which is monies that were paid or pledged in prior years but not reported as income until this year so that number is not as impressive at it may seem. About $800 thousand was a reduction in severance pay liabilities. The $1.25 million paid to 3G offset partially by the severance pay obligation to ADDB recorded in fiscal 2022.

Going forward the ICAA has total severance pay obligations of $5.8 million mostly due to 3G. $1.56 million is owed in fiscal 2023 to 3G and ADDB.

When you are in WSU's financial position cash in the bank and positive cash flow are king. So while the $363 thousand net cash flow in fiscal 2022 is not great it is a far sight better than the net decrease in available cash of $1.2 million sustained in the previous fiscal year.

Interestingly, cash generated from ticket sales was around $3.7 million in fiscal 2022 vs $1.5 million generated in fiscal 2021. I think that is largely reflective of the double whammy of COVID-1984 and the firing of HCGM.

If you want a clear indication of why basketball is so important here are the % of ticket sale revenues generated in fiscal 2022:
            Men's Basketball - 76.2%
            Men's Baseball - 6.4%
            All Other Sports - 4.4%
            Special Activities - 13.0% (I assume these are for the various auctions and fund raising events)

The ICAA generated about $1.25 million in media rights in fiscal 2022. Which was down about $1 million from fiscal 2021. NCAA distributions were $548 thousand and Conference distributions were $589 thousand in fiscal 2022 up about $197 thousand in total from fiscal 2021.

So this is the starting point from which ADKS is starting from. Let's see what he can do.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 18, 2022, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• His hands are definitely full right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                The annual financial statements for the WSU Intercollegiate Athletic Association (ICAA) for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2022 are now posted on goShockers.com.

https://goshockers.com/documents/202...ments_2022.pdf

My initial impressions are that while the WSU athletic department is not rolling in dough they are actually better than what I thought they might be.

The ICAA's net assets have increased from $3.9 million at June 30, 2021 to $6.9 million at June 30, 2022. However, their cash position is only up $363 thousand. Most of the increase in net assets was due to retiring liabilities as those dropped $2.6 million year-over-year. However, most of that was a $1.9 million reduction in deferred revenue which is monies that were paid or pledged in prior years but not reported as income until this year so that number is not as impressive at it may seem. About $800 thousand was a reduction in severance pay liabilities. The $1.25 million paid to 3G offset partially by the severance pay obligation to ADDB recorded in fiscal 2022.

Going forward the ICAA has total severance pay obligations of $5.8 million mostly due to 3G. $1.56 million is owed in fiscal 2023 to 3G and ADDB.

When you are in WSU's financial position cash in the bank and positive cash flow are king. So while the $363 thousand net cash flow in fiscal 2022 is not great it is a far sight better than the net decrease in available cash of $1.2 million sustained in the previous fiscal year.

Interestingly, cash generated from ticket sales was around $3.7 million in fiscal 2022 vs $1.5 million generated in fiscal 2021. I think that is largely reflective of the double whammy of COVID-1984 and the firing of HCGM.

If you want a clear indication of why basketball is so important here are the % of ticket sale revenues generated in fiscal 2022:
                Men's Basketball - 76.2%
                Men's Baseball - 6.4%
                All Other Sports - 4.4%
                Special Activities - 13.0% (I assume these are for the various auctions and fund raising events)

The ICAA generated about $1.25 in media rights in fiscal 2022. Which was down about $1 million from fiscal 2021. NCAA distributions were $548 thousand and Conference distributions were $589 thousand in fiscal 2022 up about $197 thousand in total from fiscal 2021.

So this is the starting point from which ADKS is starting from. Let's see what he can do.
                Thanks for the breakdown 1972Shocker. I could look at those financials all day and never figure all of that out. I am happy that the picture his a little brighter than last year. That trajectory was disturbing.
                Go Shocks!

Comment

• Something that struck me today, as I see AD Saal post on Twitter, is he's much more engaged on that platform than a certain previous individual who sat in his seat. He's constantly supporting and promoting each program and trying to bring awareness to anything and everything that he can.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Something that struck me today, as I see AD Saal post on Twitter, is he's much more engaged on that platform than a certain previous individual who sat in his seat. He's constantly supporting and promoting each program and trying to bring awareness to anything and everything that he can.
                    15:1

Comment

Something that struck me today, as I see AD Saal post on Twitter, is he's much more engaged on that platform than a certain previous individual who sat in his seat. He's constantly supporting and promoting each program and trying to bring awareness to anything and everything that he can.
                      I'm pretty sure ADKS is probably putting effort above and beyond a normal AD .. but its kind of sad that basic things like promoting your Athletic teams as an AD are seen as shocking levels of effort for us. Just really highlights how bad it was before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm pretty sure ADKS is probably putting effort above and beyond a normal AD .. but its kind of sad that basic things like promoting your Athletic teams as an AD are seen as shocking levels of effort for us. Just really highlights how bad it was before.
                        Or ithe effort could be just the norm for college AD's and we never saw that level of engagement. On the other hand most everyone agreed that FADDB's main job/function was to keep FHCGM happy.so in the end he really had no functionality and no clue how to be an AD.

Comment

Yep, and it literally encompasses the WHOLE athletic department. I know spirit squads probably seem pretty low on the totem pole for most. But ADKS has been WAYYYY more involved and committed to Cheer and Dance than the previous dipwad. Even met with the squads recently to show his commitment and let them know he values them greatly and wants to see them succeed as much as any other team. FWIW Kentucky is known for their Cheer squad (always a national title contender).
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Well, ADKS has been making quick decisions and changes to help improve the “Gameday Experience”

Perhaps, a clean out of the coaching staff ASAP could be the next decision/change he makes….
                            The Assman

Comment

• The only thing that is going to improve our "game day experience" is a new HC..............and soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                                The only thing that is going to improve our "game day experience" is a new HC..............and soon.
                                An interim HC isn't going to help. If he were fired today or at the end of the season it's all the same in that regard
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X