The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I'm also curious what search firm they're going to use. That's usually announced, or at least leaked, is it not?

This is very possibly the most important hire that Muma will be responsible for no matter how long he remains president.
    Considering the current landscape of college athletics, this might be the most important hire in WSU history. Yes, it's that important.
    You get what you pay for... shoot for the stars.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post
      Hire Mario Moccia from New Mexico State.

Moccia has great respect for Wichita State - as evidenced by his Home Run hires of Chris Jans and Greg Heiar.

With Moccia at the helm, I strongly believe the coaching piece will fall into place next.

https://nmstatesports.com/staff-dire...rio-moccia/178
      What a great choice. Also his wife was a women’s soccer standout and a color commentator for a professional team. Can he be lured away is the question?

Comment

• Ted Bredehoft (RIP)... at least he was a visionary and a real character. Camel races, ski slopes, you name it.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          Ted Bredehoft (RIP)... at least he was a visionary and a real character. Camel races, ski slopes, you name it.
          Shocker Bread.

Comment

• John Cooper

Comment

• Originally posted by sck41903 View Post
              John Cooper
              Do you think he's ready to give up coaching?

I'd see someone like him as being possibly brought in to be an associate AD of some kind. I don't think you take someone right off the bench and give them the keys to the entire athletic department but in the most special of circumstances.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I haven't read this entire thread, so if this has already been asked, I apologize. But, will the local talking heads of sports media be as fast to demand we hire the interim AD permanently, as they were the coach?

Comment

• From what I can gather, it seems that all of these efforts got the attention of not only the university leadership, but also donors. The publicity surrounding the athletic department in the last three weeks, including MBB players leaving and no NIL plan in particular, accelerated the already foregone conclusion that DB would be let go. The frustration was already mounting, but if I had to guess, donors realized what was at stake and stepped up, either by contributing financially or putting pressure on Muma. If the billboard wasn't the nail in the coffin, it closed the coffin.

Now the hard part begins. We all have to support this university's athletes and their programs. Go to games, buy tickets, contribute to SASO, contribute to the NIL fund. Do what you can to support...anything. If we want our athletic programs to be successful, it has to start with us as fans creating an environment where recruits and coaches want to come here because of the community support. TBT can be a glimpse of what the future of Shocker sports looks like...I said it then and I'll say it now, no other place in the country filled up their arena like we did for TBT. This is a special place.

I realize I'm not saying much that others haven't alluded to already, but I think these points are important.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                    I haven't read this entire thread, so if this has already been asked, I apologize. But, will the local talking heads of sports media be as fast to demand we hire the interim AD permanently, as they were the coach?
                    To make it a fair comparison .. if during her interim tag she lands a 500 million dollar investment from local businesses to fund football or something else we have never done (like winning the AAC) .. then probably. To make it an even fairer comparison .. that 500 million dollar investment might have been put in some rich person's will and they died so she did very little to land it but gets all the credit lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                      From what I can gather, it seems that all of these efforts got the attention of not only the university leadership, but also donors. The publicity surrounding the athletic department in the last three weeks, including MBB players leaving and no NIL plan in particular, accelerated the already foregone conclusion that DB would be let go. The frustration was already mounting, but if I had to guess, donors realized what was at stake and stepped up, either by contributing financially or putting pressure on Muma. If the billboard wasn't the nail in the coffin, it closed the coffin.

Now the hard part begins. We all have to support this university's athletes and their programs. Go to games, buy tickets, contribute to SASO, contribute to the NIL fund. Do what you can to support...anything. If we want our athletic programs to be successful, it has to start with us as fans creating an environment where recruits and coaches want to come here because of the community support. TBT can be a glimpse of what the future of Shocker sports looks like...I said it then and I'll say it now, no other place in the country filled up their arena like we did for TBT. This is a special place.

I realize I'm not saying much that others haven't alluded to already, but I think these points are important.
                      Yup .. i know many said they wouldn't donate until DB is gone .. well he is now .. and having money to fund a good replacement is important.

For those not donating until IB is gone .. reconsider that .. getting a good AD is 10x more important that waiting until IB is gone. That AD is the one that will hire IBs replacement (if he can't turn it around). So getting a good one is paramount to the long term success here.

If you want the entire thing blown up before you donate .. i'm guessing you were never going to actually donate anyways or were just looking for a reason to save the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post
                        Hire Mario Moccia from New Mexico State.

Moccia has great respect for Wichita State - as evidenced by his Home Run hires of Chris Jans and Greg Heiar.

With Moccia at the helm, I strongly believe the coaching piece will fall into place next.

https://nmstatesports.com/staff-dire...rio-moccia/178

Agreed. NMSU faces quite a few inherent challenges, and it's not an easy job. From all indications, Moccia has done a great job.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yup .. i know many said they wouldn't donate until DB is gone .. well he is now .. and having money to fund a good replacement is important.

For those not donating until IB is gone .. reconsider that .. getting a good AD is 10x more important that waiting until IB is gone. That AD is the one that will hire IBs replacement (if he can't turn it around). So getting a good one is paramount to the long term success here.

If you want the entire thing blown up before you donate .. i'm guessing you were never going to actually donate anyways or were just looking for a reason to save the money.
                          Many, if not most, of us always said that getting rid of DB was more important that IB for this very reason. We didn't want DB to hire the next guy. And IB's contract hasn't changed, so firing him now is still not a doable option. He was going to get next year no matter what and will probably get the year after that, no matter what. Unless the new AD can convince the moneybags that paying out his full contract would be worthwhile.

But getting back to funding and supporting the department now that DB is gone is going to be crucial. Motivating people to buy season tickets for men's basketball still might be quite the ask for some because that is a big investment and the entertainment value may not be there, but those funds, at least in part, can be directed strictly to SASO or other avenues that don't directly "show support" for IB and what he's doing right now. If IB turns things around now that this team will be 92% his guys and the direction of things works out, great. If not, at least we will hopefully have someone in place that is going to do the search needed to bring in the type of leader that is not only right for the team, but will engage with and excite the fan base which I do believe is important.

We've gotten rid of the most important piece, the rest will take care of itself in due time.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Agreed. NMSU faces quite a few inherent challenges, and it's not an easy job. From all indications, Moccia has done a great job.
                            And I just remembered that they're about to start transitioning to CUSA.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I humbly request and strongly welcome new blood in the program. I’m all for people working their way up in their chosen profession but we are in dire need of a fresh perspective.
                              The last two ADs have promotions or were already with the University. Sometimes to get the promotion or opportunity you desire you have to change employers and sometimes to get the job done you desire you needed to hire from a different talent pool and sometimes the talent you have at lower levels are ready to take the wheel. All approaches can work it’s just that bringing in JS was 10X the hire than the last two promotions.
                              Yes, it has to be the right hire regardless of where they come from but recent history shows getting a proven talent outside of the campus would be the right move.
                              If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

And I just remembered that they're about to start transitioning to CUSA.
                                Conference affiliation and state politics are two of its biggest challenges. Kinda sounds familiar...
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X