The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

My son does as well. Not competitively, but dating a VB player and really enjoys it.
    The volleyball or the dating?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

The volleyball or the dating?
      I assume he is talking about enjoying dating a beach volleyball player. Who wouldn't?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I assume he is talking about enjoying dating a beach volleyball player. Who wouldn't?
        He enjoys both.

Comment

• Interesting .. i do like that he appears to open to really taking advice as I'm guessing athletics aren't his strength.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Interesting .. i do like that he appears to open to really taking advice as I'm guessing athletics aren't his strength.
            We knew this would tell us a lot about his leadership and judging by the names of the people he's going to lean on for assistance, I like what I see. Having three former athletes who are still connected to WSU and the Wichita community goes a long way. Three respected former athletes at that. This definitely gives me some positive hope about the process.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last AD WSU hired from outside of the school was 2000 ish, correct? That's about when Jim Schaus came in. This hire is so important. I'm encouraged that Muma appears to not be taking this lightly. Good signs. This hire is huge!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

We knew this would tell us a lot about his leadership and judging by the names of the people he's going to lean on for assistance, I like what I see. Having three former athletes who are still connected to WSU and the Wichita community goes a long way. Three respected former athletes at that. This definitely gives me some positive hope about the process.
                Yup and appears a few will have some pretty good business connections going forward .. which can only help with repairing our donor base after the hire.

Comment

• I can speak for last two names. EXCELLENT choices.
                  78-65

Comment

• May 6, 2022 — The WSU athletic director is an important hire for the university, and while we will engage an experienced search firm to assist in the process, six members of the Wichita State community will join President Rick Muma in a Search Advisory Group.

Dear Shocker Nation: 

As I shared with you on Wednesday, Wichita State University has parted ways with Director of Athletics Darron Boatright, and we are grateful to Senior Associate Athletic Director Sarah Adams for stepping into the interim role. 

I noted in my previous message that WSU Athletics has a bright future and so much to offer. We will work expediently but diligently to identify a new leader of our athletics program and to get that person on board as quickly as possible.    

This is an important hire for our university, and while we will engage an experienced search firm to assist us in the process, I have asked six members of the Wichita State community to advise me throughout the search. These individuals all have a great passion for Wichita State, share our vision for leadership, and have the insight to assist me as I make a determination of what is next for Shocker Athletics.
                    I am extremely grateful to the following members of the Search Advisory Group:    
                    • Angela Buckner, former WSU Women’s Basketball student-athlete and recreation director for Woodard Recreation Center, Fairmount Community Center and Atwater Neighborhood Resource Center
                    • Lynn Nichols, chair-elect, WSU Foundation Board and CEO of Yingling Aviation   
                    • Nate Robertson, former WSU Men’s Baseball student-athlete
                    • John Rolfe, WSU alumnus and president and CEO, Wichita Regional Chamber of Commerce 
                    • Dr. Clay Stoldt, faculty athletic representative and interim dean of the College of Applied Studies 
                    • Evan Wessel, former WSU Men’s Basketball student-athlete and financial advisor, Stoutheart Financial Group   

I appreciate the patience and support of all of Shocker Nation as we look forward to the future.     

Sincerely,  

Dr. Richard Muma  
                    President  

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yup and appears a few will have some pretty good business connections going forward .. which can only help with repairing our donor base after the hire.
                      After the hire, I will be curious as to what we see/hear about certain things. We could use some new fundraising efforts on the athletics side and seeing how that goes early on, whenever something is put into place, will be telling.

But having these individuals on board with the hiring/approval process won't hurt in that regard and you know they have many ties to the deep pockets.

We could also end up seeing a number of new coaches in the next few years. No new AD is going to want to come into mediocrity and not do what they can to improve things. IB and Keitha will be under the microscope early on. The balance sheet is going to need to get better and we all know basketball leads that quest.

It's odd, but I'm optimistic for the first time in quite a while. Change can be good.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Muma is killing it in the press release department. He's either really good, or his PR team is excellent.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Muma is killing it in the press release department. He's either really good, or his PR team is excellent.
                          Agreed .. he's saying all the right things right now. He's also appears to be DOING the right things also at this point. Strong week for him.

Comment

Muma is killing it in the press release department. He's either really good, or his PR team is excellent.
                            Hopefully, he took to heart the complaints of Shocker Nation about the lack of transparency.

Comment

• It's a great list.

But which of those advisors is going to ask knowledgeable questions about the extremely important and novel NIL collective management strategy? None of them are knowledgeable about it (how could they be?). Personally, I'd like to see a leader of an NIL collective added to that list.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                It's a great list.

But which of those advisors is going to ask knowledgeable questions about the extremely important and novel NIL collective management strategy? None of them are knowledgeable about it (how could they be?). Personally, I'd like to see a leader of an NIL collective added to that list.
                                I may not be remembering this correctly, long time ago since high school, but I thought Nate Robertson and Tymber Lee were cousins?

Comment

Working...
                                X