The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
    Turg is too much of an introvert to successfully fund raise in this community. I wonder if Matt Baty, who was on the staff here at one time might be in the mix. He is involved with the KU NIL program.
    Hold on...Matt Baty runs the KU nil collective and is also a member running the WSU one too. I was never considering a dime of my money to go to armchair anyway but this whole thing seems fishy. The response to Sticks question on transparency was totally sidestepped which rubbed me the wrong way too.

I'm not totally against the idea of a NIL collective but I'd rather see someone more respected in the WSU community such as Dave Dahl leading it.
    Last edited by Ta Town Shocker; May 4, 2022, 09:52 PM.
    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
      He has some Shocker history and now at Notre Dame-- BRIAN PRACHT!
      I like
      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Marcus Bowman.
        Looks very qualified.

Coming from a respected athletic department like OU is a good endorsement too.
        The Assman

Comment

• Gene Stephenson…

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
            Gene Stephenson…
            On multiple levels, absolutely not

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

On multiple levels, absolutely not
              Sarcasm mi amigo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

Hold on...Matt Baty runs the KU nil collective and is also a member running the WSU one too. I was never considering a dime of my money to go to armchair anyway but this whole thing seems fishy. The response to Sticks question on transparency was totally sidestepped which rubbed me the wrong way too.

I'm not totally against the idea of a NIL collective but I'd rather see someone more respected in the WSU community such as Dave Dahl leading it.
                This is a great point to clear up! Tyler/Tymber (former shocker baseball players) own and operate Armchair Strategies. They both have deep ties at WSU and are leading all the efforts. Armchair is partnering with Matt Baty and the team at 6th man for their experience in the NIL space as they were a leader in the industry at KU. Matt has extensive experience in fundraising, working in an athletic department (@ WSU/KU), and NIL industry experience.

Our goal is always transparency. Donors will always know what their funds are being used for, in fact we allow donors to dictate exactly how their funds can be used. No question the goal of any productive fundraising initiatives is to obtain as many “general” funding as possible to be used for any and all athletes on a need basis. However, if you want funds to only be used for softball, basketball or a future soccer team we can do that too!

Most of our contracts between businesses and players do have non-disclosure agreements attached to them. We will not publicly announce dollar amounts unless all parties have agreed. we saw how some of that has played out at Miami and it got pretty expensive.

But in an effort of full transparency that is why we want to be on here interacting and answering questions. There is so much education on this space that everyone is seeking.

The goal is to have a personal relationship with the donors/fans.

Thanks!
                Last edited by Armchair Strategies; May 4, 2022, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Armchair Strategies View Post

This is a great point to clear up! Tyler/Tymber (former shocker baseball players) own and operate Armchair Strategies. They both have deep ties at WSU and are leading all the efforts. Armchair is partnering with Matt Baty and the team at 6th man for their experience in the NIL space as they were a leader in the industry at KU. Matt has extensive experience in fundraising, working in an athletic department (@ WSU/KU), and NIL industry experience.

Thanks!
                  This was my understanding as well. Baty is essentially consulting / advising them on the mechanics of the NIL not directing anything with respect to funding, etc. I got no problem with that. You need to know what you don't know in order to be successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

I can hear his pitch to recruits now: “In 4 of the last 6 recruiting battles, the WSU NIL collective has offered 50% more than the competition”

Jokes aside, agree with the need for transparency.

Comment

• Hire Mario Moccia from New Mexico State.

Moccia has great respect for Wichita State - as evidenced by his Home Run hires of Chris Jans and Greg Heiar.

With Moccia at the helm, I strongly believe the coaching piece will fall into place next.

Mario Moccia returned to his alma mater on Jan. 5, 2015, as the 23rd Director of Athletics at New Mexico State University after serving for nine years as the Director

Comment

• Originally posted by ky-mike View Post
                        Business rule #1 - Never hire back a terminated employee.

I wonder if former Louisville AD Tom Jurich might be interested. He did a hell of a job at Louisville in raising money. His firing there was a fallout related to the Rick Pitino issues.

Jurich would be a home run hire too. He's a basketball minded AD.

Comment

• I do like that we can apparently earmark our donations to certain teams essentially. Most will np doubt go to a general fund or basketball, and most of the general will probably go to basketball, but those with other interests or concerns can build up a focused fund elsewhere.

That's definitely something to consider
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post
                            Hire Mario Moccia from New Mexico State.

Moccia has great respect for Wichita State - as evidenced by his Home Run hires of Chris Jans and Greg Heiar.

With Moccia at the helm, I strongly believe the coaching piece will fall into place next.

https://nmstatesports.com/staff-dire...rio-moccia/178
                            This is the kind of AD hire that could get Chris Jans to come back. Yes, even though that would mean CJ leaving an SEC school. Basically just match his salary or at least come pretty close, and I think he would make the jump.

Mario is mid 50s, so that’s old enough to be very experienced but not look for next job…yet young enough that he could still be here 10 years to get department back on solid footing.

Only slight concern would be that Mario is making very similar money to what DB made. To get MM to make a move, we probably have to bump up that salary another $50-100K.
                            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

This is the kind of AD hire that could get Chris Jans to come back. Yes, even though that would mean CJ leaving an SEC school. Basically just match his salary or at least come pretty close, and I think he would make the jump.

Mario is mid 50s, so that’s old enough to be very experienced but not look for next job…yet young enough that he could still be here 10 years to get department back on solid footing.

Only slight concern would be that Mario is making very similar money to what DB made. To get MM to make a move, we probably have to bump up that salary another $50-100K.
                              Pay Mario 300k to move from Las Cruces to Wichita. Though he'd also no longer have football under him, which may or may not matter. He did a good job at SIU and he's done well at NMSU so it would definitely be a good hire.

Cost of living is around 3% less in Wichita and housing around 25% less.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm also curious what search firm they're going to use. That's usually announced, or at least leaked, is it not?

This is very possibly the most important hire that Muma will be responsible for no matter how long he remains president.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X