No announcement yet.

NIL Collective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder how long until the bubble pops on this stuff, or legal action happens. Not the first time it's been tossed around that schools are promising massive amounts then delivering peanuts.

Comment

• Players better get the promises from the people who are actually paying the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
        Players better get the promises from the people who are actually paying the money.
        That might not even matter. Gotta have it in a contract that can't be signed until after commiting. It's not like the people with money won't pull shenanigans either

Comment

• I thought I recalled that NIL payments were supposed to be in the ballpark of market value for the services performed, which clearly isn't what's happening on some of these insane deals we keep hearing about. I realize it's difficult to pinpoint market value for things like commercial appearances and such.

Am I remembering that wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            I thought I recalled that NIL payments were supposed to be in the ballpark of market value for the services performed, which clearly isn't what's happening on some of these insane deals we keep hearing about. I realize it's difficult to pinpoint market value for things like commercial appearances and such.

according to Jay Bilas it was so they can do simple things like host camps over the summer and make some change signing autographs, LOL. We all knew where this was headed.

Since it's been determined that they aren't amateurs, I suppose they can get paid $10 million to show up on campus. If the market dictates value and expected services, value can be anything and expected services can be nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              I thought I recalled that NIL payments were supposed to be in the ballpark of market value for the services performed, which clearly isn't what's happening on some of these insane deals we keep hearing about. I realize it's difficult to pinpoint market value for things like commercial appearances and such.

You're remembering it right. Players are not supposed to be paid any more than an actor appearing in an ad would be paid. or someone making personal appearances, signing autographs, etc.

The loophole is that someone "buys" their NIL rights from them at some exorbitant amount and then "fails" to find them enough "appearances" to recoup their money. Instead of the player being overpaid, the "investor" made a bad investment.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• When there are no consequences... The rules are whatever you want them to be

Comment

• Isn't market value simply what someone is willing to pay?
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Isn't market value simply what someone is willing to pay?
                    Pretty much .. and would be really hard to prove in court otherwise. The NCAA has already lost multiple times in court .. they aren't going to do anything to try to potentially limit a players ability to earn money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Pretty much .. and would be really hard to prove in court otherwise. The NCAA has already lost multiple times in court .. they aren't going to do anything to try to potentially limit a players ability to earn money.
                      We'll have to live with the fustercluck...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• the concept of amateur athletics is illegal, apparently

Comment

• I love how instantly people start blaming the school and NIL investors.

A key piece that has reared up recently surrounds players not showing up for engagements, photo shoots, etc. one even sent a different player.

Some of the deals involve value added benefits and no cash. Like a car with gas card to pay for gas. Then the player used said card for alcohol and snacks.

When amounts were deducted based on not showing, or charging up a gas card, players kicked and screamed.

There is a lot of blame to go around with this new system, and most lands squarely on Ed O’Bannon and Jay Bilas.

Comment

• I will say that I am surprised that we haven't seen more local businesses use Shocker athletes. I know there are some who have used Twitter, TikTok or IG to promote a business, but I figured we'd see more of that, or even commercials. I don't know if the local business community is still just unsure of how it all works or if the athletes haven't been as interested in some of those things or if the price point just doesn't work for both parties.

I know if I owned a local business I'd be interested in generating more publicity using different athletes and probably reach people I never could on my own. It will be interesting to see if we get more of that over the next year or so as NIL becomes a more known quantity and people have had time to figure out how it works for them and the athletes.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              I will say that I am surprised that we haven't seen more local businesses use Shocker athletes. I know there are some who have used Twitter, TikTok or IG to promote a business, but I figured we'd see more of that, or even commercials. I don't know if the local business community is still just unsure of how it all works or if the athletes haven't been as interested in some of those things or if the price point just doesn't work for both parties.

I know if I owned a local business I'd be interested in generating more publicity using different athletes and probably reach people I never could on my own. It will be interesting to see if we get more of that over the next year or so as NIL becomes a more known quantity and people have had time to figure out how it works for them and the athletes.
                              If I'm a business owner I'm asking myself which athletes are really marketable? Too much roster churn creates an identity crisis.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

If I'm a business owner I'm asking myself which athletes are really marketable? Too much roster churn creates an identity crisis.
                                I wasn't even thinking about basketball when I posted that. It's the biggest sport, but recently hasn't had the most marketable players. Syd has a decently strong social media presence. Addie could have more selling power, but I get the idea that she's not one to bask in the spotlight in that way. You probably could have used Craig though, as he was an easy guy to like and cheer for and I think could have helped a local business if marketed correctly. The volleyball team still has some good recognition and some of those girls might be able to generate some buzz. I haven't dug into who has what kind of following online. I know I follow a lot of athletes from different sports here and most are pretty much unseen on Twitter or IG. Not sure if there's a lack of interest by them or if they simply don't know how to utilize it to benefit them yet. Syd has figured it out, at least to some degree.

Then you can also simply get into who are the most attractive athletes on campus? They generate followers and buzz. There's a reason that the most successful college athletes in regards to money generally aren't playing on money making teams.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X