Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're the coach, who do you bring back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i said it then, and i'll say it again... the previous staff was planning on being outta here after the sweet 16 season so they wouldnt have to deal with the aftermath... the cupboards were emptying and they knew it. turg didn't recruit well and it was no secret - he had to get outta town - otherwise another year like last year with a lackluster recruiting class, we would have run him outta town.

Comment

With four new recruits (1-Jr & 3 Fr), AJ, and perhaps two more to be signed later, we'd had damn well hope that all present starters return if we expect to have any depth and experience at all. OE is just too much of a uncertainty to call.

Comment

roster

If wholesale changes are made, and it is likely, then we should expect another .500 season next year. We may have more talent, but they will be freshmen and it will take time to learn the system. Next year's class will be much like the first Turgeon class, when he brought in Howard, Miller, Burns, Kampman. They were the foundation for the turnaround and that will be what we should expect from next year's freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
          With four new recruits (1-Jr & 3 Fr), AJ, and perhaps two more to be signed later, we'd had damn well hope that all present starters return if we expect to have any depth and experience at all. OE is just too much of a uncertainty to call.

I'm beginning to think OE is just a myth.
          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Butler is the only one I can be somewhat confident may not be back. It's tough to justify a scholarship for a guy who never plays, for whatever reason.

Comment

Who will be back--who will not? Maybe a little early to tell for sure. Who wants to win in this System, learn to better execute on both sides of the floor, and work hard just as HCGM works very hard? As this Season continues, who will get more minutes and who will sink deeper on the bench? No doubt, every solitary player we have will be given an opportunity to earn playing time. That should give us some perspective as to who returns and who does not next Season.

One thing about HCGM, is that he is a "square shooter" and will make sure each player knows if they have a solid shot at some minutes played with in influx of new talent coming in. Competition at each and every position next year will be fierce. If something happens and OE does not come, a solid plan B will be already in place and will be administered and we will be gravitating forward. However, I really still hope EO does show.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

We have been over this ground before, but assuming the Nigerian shows up, either this spring or next fall, we are one over (if there are no surprises or disappointments). This will mean Butler will not return. If Coach picks up two more additional new guys, as been hinted, the two leaving will most likely come from MT's guys; Mekel, Preadom, Durley, or Hatch.

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
                  Originally posted by 60Shock

I'm beginning to think OE is just a myth.
                  We already know OE is not a myth. He plays for Illinois St.

:D

Comment

I think somewhere between 2-4 players will not be back next year because:

1) Marshall does not like to lose!!! He was the 2nd winnest active coach in the country when he arrived, and losing goes down hard for him, very hard.

2) The attitudes of the players at the 2,3, and 4 positions, excepting Clemente, pretty much stinks. They play like timid lil mice, they fail to help the team by creating something by dribble penetrating, or creating a diversion that will open up a man to kick it out to - they all leave it up to Gal. JT does something every now and then on Offense.
                    Basically, they have not bought into the coach's idea of teamwork.
                    (lets see, how many of Creighton's players layed 3's on us???)

3) PJ will be gone, but at least AJ will be here to play, and he seems to be aggressive and athletic on the court.

4) There are a few teams this year, with only 1 or 2 returning starters, playing 'new guys' and they are doing fine.

5) Basketball concepts are not that hard to grasp, and using the new system excuse wears thin pretty fast halfway into the season.

6) We always seem to have to rely on our recruits to be a 'darkhorse' player. By that I mean, it seems like we end up with the 2nd or 3rd best in lieu of the best off of a team. We got David Kyles, but why weren't we recruiting London (Cotton) Giles? We got Clevin Hannah, but why weren't we going after Mario Little? And why does Creighton and SIU consistently recruit higher rated players than us? You don't have to explain recruiting to me, I am aware of most of the aspects, but these type of questions have loomed over our past as a team, and are reflected on the court.

7) I believe the coach will be straight forward and honest with the players at the end of the season, and I do see 2-4 leaving at some point, perhaps to go to other schools, Jucos, Div 2 or other Div 1 schools.

8) If you are trying to build an A team, you can't carry C or D players on it, and expect the team to perform on an A level. I am sure most will understand this by relating it to their work environment.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                      Uhhhh, I think when your million-dollar-a-year job depends on winning games, you go get guys that will win games for you. The end.
                      We arent KU man.
                      We dont go out and buy our players.
                      "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                      CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                        6) We always seem to have to rely on our recruits to be a 'darkhorse' player. By that I mean, it seems like we end up with the 2nd or 3rd best in lieu of the best off of a team. We got David Kyles, but why weren't we recruiting London (Cotton) Giles? We got Clevin Hannah, but why weren't we going after Mario Little? And why does Creighton and SIU consistently recruit higher rated players than us? You don't have to explain recruiting to me, I am aware of most of the aspects, but these type of questions have loomed over our past as a team, and are reflected on the court.
                        I’d say revisit this in another season or two. I’m surprised your btching about Hannah yet conveniently left off Stutz. It seems you’re complaining about past recruiting failures.

Comment

Yes, mostly I am. And no, Garrett wasn't on my mind, and he is clearly the best player on his current team, and exactly what we need. Garrett, currently is a 3 star, I believe, with great potential and height. If he aspires to being like Dirk, then we have many great Shocker moments ahead of us.

The reason I mentioned Giles and Little is because they are obviously the top rated player on their respective teams for their positions, and although Kyles and Hannah are both good players, the other 2 are, indicated to be better players.

But, yes, I think the 'mindset' of our recruiting process has changed somewhat with Coach Marshall from Turgeon, and I think he will get better recruits in the future, ones that will achieve being a better team year in and year out, especially considering our MVC opponents are also improving each year.

And, I am pretty sure, KU does not 'buy' its recruits as the NCAA and the Big 12 would make sure of that, but they are considered an 'elite' program in Basketball, and I am pretty sure they complement that fact in everyway they can to get top recruits. This, very well, could be their year for another National Championship.

Comment

Where do you get the notion that Giles is higher rated than Kyles. Kyles was 2nd Team all metro in Dallas last year and is the highest rated returning player on last years all metro team

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
                              Where do you get the notion that Giles is higher rated than Kyles. Kyles was 2nd Team all metro in Dallas last year and is the highest rated returning player on last years all metro team
                              I'm glad you mentioned this, because I was confused too.

I had thought that Hatch wouldn't be returning next year, but with his extra playing time, and seeming to be the only person on the team who can consistently make the 3, I think he'll be back. He might not be the most athletic, or fastest, or whatever, but he appears to be doing what coach wants and can hit that ever so coveted shot. He could end up being a good one for WSU, maybe not in his playing time, but a guy like this would be alot like having Ledford or Matt Clark around.

Comment

I really don't think many kids will leave after this season. Butler or a big maybe in Griskenas would probably be my only guess since Hatch is starting to play more.

Why is everybody thinking Gal is going to leave? If you look at our returning players for next year; Gal is clearly the best with maybe some competition from Hawkins.

Think about our starting five for next year: (next yeargrades by the way)

Mekel Jr.
                                Hawkins Jr.
                                Ellis So.
                                Clemente Sr.
                                Stutz Fr.

Bench:
                                Durley So.
                                Hatch So.
                                Kyles Fr.
                                Murray Fr.
                                Hannah Fr.
                                Preadom Sr.

Marshall is building a huge future for us. Just wait a few years and us and SIU will be competing for the Valley Title.

:wsu_posters:
                                Shocker Forever!!

Comment

Working...
                                X