Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're the coach, who do you bring back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sully's column refers to the quote.....

Q: Last monday G.M. said he was looking to sign to additional players. What position would you guess ... that would be?
    ***** ****, wichiat ks 1/04/08

A: Any and all positions. I think Gregg has made it pretty clear he is looking to upgrade talent. The possible exception might be center, assuming Ehimen Orukpe arrives and they get a look at him. I think perhaps a freshman point guard might be a high priority.
    Paul Suellentrop 1/04/08

Comment

You will never see AB take the floor again in a WSU uni during a game (sorry Sub). Trust SR. 8)
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
        Royal, can you find that "two more guys" quote, context, etc.? I dunno0 when/where it was.
        It was during a coach's show around mid-December. I remember it pretty clear in my mind, as he was talking about the quality kids and families in the recruiting class. He ended it with (paraphrased) "and a couple more may be joining the Shocker family soon."

Obviously he's still recruiting. I just think it's premature to say, without a doubt, he is going to bring two more in.

Comment

Yep, that's pretty close; the "joining the family" thing. You are right, it probably is premature to say that he is definately bringing two more guys. It may also be pretty optomistic to say that he is bringing in ONLY two more guys.

Comment

Maybe Mrs. CGM is going to have twins. :shock:
            "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
              recruiting is like shaving, you miss a day and you look like a bum
              Turg missed for about two years.
              Egotism is the anesthetic of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
                You will never see AB take the floor again in a WSU uni during a game (sorry Sub). Trust SR. 8)
                And I'm saddened by that but understand it. The athletic potential is there but........
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

To some extent, I think you look at who is playing now and who has potential and drive.

In terms of minutes on the court per game, we have
                  Braeuer, Matt 34.9
                  Mekel, Gal 31.7
                  Couisnard, PJ 30.1
                  Thomasson, Phillip 26.1
                  Clemente, Ramon 25.4
                  Griskenas, Mantas 16.4
                  Durley, JT 15.7
                  Preadom, Wendell 12.1
                  Ellis, Aaron 11.2
                  Hatch, Graham 9.3

Everyone with 20+ minutes per game returns. (What do you mean Matt and PJ can't play next year? :D )

In terms of potential, Ellis returns. Durley has huge potential if he ever "gets it" (like Gene said a few nights ago). Hatch shoots well, is mature and might have potential.

Anyone who will be a senior and wants to work hard returns. Griskenas and Preadom if they are willing to do what Marshall wants; shooting for Wendell and mental toughness for Mantas.

Assuming all buy-in: Mekel, Clemente, Griskenas, Preadom, Ellis with the possibility of Durley and/or Hatch. Also anyone who wants to walk-on.
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                    Im starting to think JT durley is not suited for the way Gregg Marshall wants to play. It seems to me that Marshall likes the more athletic post players.
                    That wasn't a zone, it was five statues.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Assuming we can get Orupke into the fold then we will be one over the 13 scholarship limit.

Arbry would probably be happier elsewhere.

Whether or not Gal will return seems to be a question that has to be addressed on an annual basis, although I would hope that HGCM insists that Gal make a decision about returning sooner than later, although HCGM can not legally enforce any commitment Gal may make to returning.

Assuming that all 6 newcomers show up and are eligible to play and assuming Arbry "decides" it is in his best interest to move on, I think I go with what we've got today. Unless, we have a shot at a no-brainer recruit who would be a star from day 1.

For one thing we would have a real nice balance among classes, with 3 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 3 Sophomores and 4 Freshmen, including two 7 footers and some badly needed help at the guard position.

There is too much potential with Aaron Ellis and J.T. Durley to give up on those guys after one year. I think Mantas will also get better.

Ideally, 8 or 9 guys are going to get the bulk of the minutes, so it's not bad to have some guys like Wendell Preadom and Graham Hatch who won't be sitting on the bench pouting because they are not playing much.

Then next year you bring in 3 more studs to take the place of Ramon, Mantas and Wendell and then we are off and running.

Comment

i believe it was two coachs show back. What i remember is close to royal's take. I thought he said "we will probably sign two more players this spring for next year. I took that as a, not for sure, but do not be suprised if it does happen type of deal.

Comment

Height will cure many of the current problems. Its going to be very hard to collapse on a 7 ft guy, it will take at least 2 to 3 inside defenders. This will open up slashing lanes for your forwards . This draws the defending guards back to help prevent the forwards driving. Thus your guards will have more open looks. I keep Mantas, Ellis, JT, Hatch, Gal, WP and RC. All will be experinced and a great compliment to our centers

:posterwu: 8)
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Honestly with the recruits coming in, I dont think most of the recruits brought in by Turgeon will be back next year. Gal can be a good player but he doesnt listen to Marshall and tries to do it all himself. The others such as Hatch and Preadom are talented but just not good enough to play here. Marshall has signed good recruits that will fill the roster much better and will probably sign a few more before its over. I think a few guys will be fighting for spots against better players if they decide to try and stay on.

Comment

Originally posted by fairmount_man
                              Honestly with the recruits coming in, I dont think most of the recruits brought in by Turgeon will be back next year. Gal can be a good player but he doesnt listen to Marshall and tries to do it all himself. The others such as Hatch and Preadom are talented but just not good enough to play here. Marshall has signed good recruits that will fill the roster much better and will probably sign a few more before its over. I think a few guys will be fighting for spots against better players if they decide to try and stay on.
                              I'm willing to wait and see. In fact, we don't even know how this season will end.
                              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I won't be surprised at all if we have a freshman or two starting next season. With at least two getting significant minutes by the end of the season.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X