2022 TBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The Shocks did not totally shut down the Raiders' Warren and Jones but they did hold them well below the 64 points they scored on Friday on 60% shooting.

The Air Raiders duo combined for 39 points on 12-31 shooting which was enough to get the job done.

Attendance of 3,354 for a Saturday game was a little disappointing.

Did James Dickey have his Puma's on when he scored the game winner?
    Yes he did! Guessing he had to pick up the tab for the teams drinks afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      The Shocks did not totally shut down the Raiders' Warren and Jones but they did hold them well below the 64 points they scored on Friday on 60% shooting.

The Air Raiders duo combined for 39 points on 12-31 shooting which was enough to get the job done.

Attendance of 3,354 for a Saturday game was a little disappointing.

Did James Dickey have his Puma's on when he scored the game winner?
      So peeling the onion back, why the low attendance?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

So peeling the onion back, why the low attendance?
          I think the novelty of the event has worn off compared to 2019. It was such a big deal then, and there was a drop-off in attendance last year compared to 2019.

The lack of success this year also plays a role in diminished enthusiasm around the program, which flows to the Aftershocks.

There is also diminished enthusiasm for the program because of Marshall’s departure, which carries over to the Aftershocks as well. Couple that with the fact that the players on this team are becoming farther removed from their time at WSU, and that hurts attendance.

I think Shaq’s addition to the team has played a marginal role at best.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I think the novelty of the event has worn off compared to 2019. It was such a big deal then, and there was a drop-off in attendance last year compared to 2019.

The lack of success this year also plays a role in diminished enthusiasm around the program, which flows to the Aftershocks.

There is also diminished enthusiasm for the program because of Marshall’s departure, which carries over to the Aftershocks as well. Couple that with the fact that the players on this team are becoming farther removed from their time at WSU, and that hurts attendance.

I think Shaq’s addition to the team has played a marginal role at best.
            All excellent points. In addition, I believe there's Covid fatigue, and I don't think it's going anywhere for a very long time. There are some (admittedly not a large number) in this area still scared of going out (even though the numbers were few, I just can't believe people are still masking up at games, which means there are some staying away).

Socializing in general is down. I'm amazed at the lack of traffic I see when I'm out and about vs pre pandemic times. I just think there are some people that are happy to stay home. Can't say that I'm immune from that thinking either. Also, given the lack of youth among a large plurality of Shocker fans, it's likely to affect that group a little harder as well.

Comment

• I think as our fanbase continues to age, our athletic department is going to have to be strategic in getting younger people invested. I think this challenge isn’t unique to WSU though.

Comment

• I'm sure it being 105 out and with Friday being pretty toasty inside due to the electrical outage, some people that went Friday might have stayed home Saturday

Comment

• I think a lot of people just got used to not going to live events during Covid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                    I think as our fanbase continues to age, our athletic department is going to have to be strategic in getting younger people invested. I think this challenge isn’t unique to WSU though.

Well, one way to get "younger" is to treat a "family" just like they do a family business which "buys" the tickets and contributes regardless of who actually owns the business. The athletic department does let an offspring to continue to keep the family's seats as long as they continue the same level of giving. However, all points go away and you are now at the back of the line point-wise for other perks. IBA tickets for example.

Comment

• I believe some of the 'apathy' can be attributed to the fact that, so far, the Aftershocks haven't known much success in this tournament, i.e., advancing.

I was surprised they're the #1 seed this year (in their region). I was doubly surprised (pleasantly) when they won 2 games in a row. I'll be really surprised if they advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                        I believe some of the 'apathy' can be attributed to the fact that, so far, the Aftershocks haven't known much success in this tournament, i.e., advancing.

I was surprised they're the #1 seed this year (in their region). I was doubly surprised (pleasantly) when they won 2 games in a row. I'll be really surprised if they advance.
                        The Aftershocks have enjoyed very good success at CKA. They are 6-1 in their three years in the tournament. 1-1 in 2019, 3-0 in 2021, 2-0 so far this year. It is true that they have won 0 games (0-1) in Dayton.

I was a bit surprised by the #1 seed. I thought probably a #2 seed. The core of the team has been together and they do have TBT success and professional experience though. Those are a couple of things that TBT looks at in seeding. It doesn't hurt to have a definite home court advantage as well.
                        ​​​​​
                        IMO this is the best Aftershocks team to date. I do expect them to win on Monday night, but make no mistake, Bleed Green is a very good 7 seed. I hope people turn out and cheer on this team. They are fun to watch. I think the guys having a few years of TBT under their belts has helped a lot. They get after it on the defensive end.
                        ​​
                        Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post

The Aftershocks have enjoyed very good success at CKA. They are 6-1 in their three years in the tournament. 1-1 in 2019, 3-0 in 2021, 2-0 so far this year. It is true that they have won 0 games (0-1) in Dayton.

I was a bit surprised by the #1 seed. I thought probably a #2 seed. The core of the team has been together and they do have TBT success and professional experience though. Those are a couple of things that TBT looks at in seeding. It doesn't hurt to have a definite home court advantage as well.
                          ​​​​​
                          IMO this is the best Aftershocks team to date. I do expect them to win on Monday night, but make no mistake, Bleed Green is a very good 7 seed. I hope people turn out and cheer on this team. They are fun to watch. I think the guys having a few years of TBT under their belts has helped a lot. They get after it on the defensive end.
                          ​​
                          Yea... Saying they haven't enjoyed success is a bit weird. Only 1 loss in 3 years at CKA and pretty much every game except the first one this year have been extremely exciting. Some of the most exciting games year round in CKA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea... Saying they haven't enjoyed success is a bit weird.
                            Success to me is advancing to the championship game. We obviously have two different views of what success in this tournament looks like. On that we agree. The Shocks haven't come close, thus arousing disappointment in some, I'm sure....

That being said; weird? How may quarter finals have they made it to? Did they advance? Did they even play well?

But, I have a sneaky feeling maybe this will be the year they perform well in the quarters, especially since the Roundhouse is a quarter finals site this year. But first they have to win their regional tomorrow night.

There will be bigger crowd tomorrow. And an even bigger crowd for the quarter's, of course if the Afershocks are participants.
                            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; July 24, 2022, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Success to me is advancing to the championship game. We obviously have two different views of what success in this tournament looks like. On that we agree. The Shocks haven't come close, thus arousing disappointment in some, I'm sure....

That being said; weird? How may quarter finals have they made it to? Did they advance? Did they even play well?

But, I have a sneaky feeling maybe this will be the year they perform well in the quarters, especially since the Roundhouse is a quarter finals site this year. But first they have to win their regional tomorrow night.

There will be bigger crowd tomorrow. And an even bigger crowd for the quarter's, of course if the Afershocks are participants.
                              Yea .. i think you have an odd definition of success required to watch a game at CKA .... That's basically a bandwagon fan defintion .. "i'll only watch if they win championships." Which to be fair, I'm sure a chunk of our fanbase is proudly wearing their KU gear recently ... just didn't figure it was anyone on here.

Kstate had a pretty damn decent number of fans this year at TBT...and I'm not sure they have won a game in the TBT in any of the years before.

I repeat again .. the games at Koch Arena (which is what we are discussing here .. the attendance at Koch arena) .. have for the most part, been the most exciting games to happen there in the last few years ...

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X