2022 TBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
    Maybe unpopular option…but IF the money is there, I think the winners should get $2M, 2nd place ~$500k. Surely there is that kind of money out there after several years of this tournament.
    I agree and throw a little bit to the region winners too so they don’t have to fundraise to get to the Final Round.

Comment

• Got to like the broadly dispersed balance scoring for the After Shocks. The After Shocks will ge tough if they can keep that up. That said the key to extended success might be the defense and rebounding.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 23, 2022, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• I made it clear I wasn't all that interested in this event, but I changed my mind at the last minute and headed to the Chuck around game time.

It's really cool for the alumni and you can just see how much value there is to them in the event. I'd be hard pressed to list all the former players I saw, but every single one had a smile on their face and the few I interacted with or watched others interact with.....you can literally feel the emotion. The smiles don't leave their faces. Jamar Howard was grinning from ear to ear and was down right giddy when people would say hi. Coach Brown spent the entire game talking to players and fans. You cannot place a value on things like that.

I'm known for being a stubborn stick in the mud at times (basically the entire time, in my best Chetty voice) but this event is important for the program, the kids, the alumni, the University and the city. I'm glad I went. If you didn't, I hope you'll reconsider. And if you do, when you see a player, like Jamar, or Garrett Stutz, or Mike Denny, or Asbjorn Midtgaard, or Rauno Nurger or Jamie Echinique or any of the other 20-50 plus alumni that are there, wave at them, and tell them thank you for all the joy they brought you over the years.

It matters. I promise you they will enjoy it. And you will too.

Comment

• Great article by Paul.

"The ambiance, the crowd – anybody who's played here and watched a game knows there are a lot of reasons to come back to Koch Arena," said former Shocker Mike Denny, who lives in San Antonio.

You could spend hours listening to stories from Big Tex (Mike Denny). I wish I could have seen Kalocinski. I wonder where John Kobar is these days?

Jamie's comment is fantastic.....these guys have no idea what a tough practice is....they think they do, but they have no idea.

The other thing that's really cool, I think for us as fans, is the reaction from the kids that enjoy the atmosphere, and I realize that's not everyone. Some people enjoy the crowd, others are able to tune them out. I think as fans, we love the ones that can find that happy medium where the player feeds off the crowd's energy...it gives us a feeling of being part of the game. I especially enjoy seeing kids that may have never enjoyed an atmosphere like last night. The kid from Greensboro, Dickey, seriously enjoyed the crowd noise. That's awesome. You could tell Markis missed that energy. And you could see some of the new team members looking around like "sheesh, what's a real game going to be like".

Really happy for each and every former player that got to enjoy that moment again, in whatever capacity they could.

Comment

• Was there any sort of crowd reaction, positive or negative, when Morris entered the game?
            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• I appreciate that Shaq wanted to play but he’s not in any sort of basketball shape at all. Willis and Dickey can take up all the post minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I agree and throw a little bit to the region winners too so they don’t have to fundraise to get to the Final Round.
                I would say 100k for regional winners would suffice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                  Was there any sort of crowd reaction, positive or negative, when Morris entered the game?
                  First time, almost no reaction because he entered after a timeout. Later in the game he did get a pretty big cheer. I think I might have heard one person booing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

First time, almost no reaction because he entered after a timeout. Later in the game he did get a pretty big cheer. I think I might have heard one person booing.
                    Absolutely spot on.
                    Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I appreciate that Shaq wanted to play but he’s not in any sort of basketball shape at all. Willis and Dickey can take up all the post minutes.
                      I thought the reason he got as many minutes as he did last night was that he was obviously out of shape and they were essentially using him up in a blowout instead of some of the others. He wont be able to compete much with the TTech team tonight. Save the legs of the guys that are going to be able to contribute a little more. Near the end of the game he was signaling to come out and they left him on the court for another possession or two.
                      Go Shocks!

Comment

• Did anyone else on Shockernet enter the TBT bracket challenge? If so, how are you doing? I am just above the cutoff line for prizes. 965 to start the day.
                        Go Shocks!

Comment

• He did have one pretty awesome shaq wall moment when a forward made a power move into his chest and almost knocked himself out. Meanwhile shaq gets called for the “being fat in the wrong place at the wrong time” foul as usual. The other guy was crossed eyed and wobbly after getting back up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                            He did have one pretty awesome shaq wall moment when a forward made a power move into his chest and almost knocked himself out. Meanwhile shaq gets called for the “being fat in the wrong place at the wrong time” foul as usual. The other guy was crossed eyed and wobbly after getting back up.
                            Saw that, on replay there was a little bit of a hip check by Morris. “Little” being relative in this case. It would’ve hospitalized most of us.

Comment

• He's in good enough shape to run with a weight inflated innertube around his belly. That is the Shaq, our coaches recruited out of high school.

Comment

• AfterShocks vs We Are D3 box score available here if anyone is interested: https://thetournament.com/news/1-aft...-we-are-d3-52/

Kelly, Frankamp, Haynes-Jones, Dickey and Willis were a combined 21-29 (72.4%) from the field including 4-10 (40%) from three. The rest of the team was 12-33 (36.4%) and 4-18 (22.2%). Frankamp (4) and Haynes-Jones (3) had 7 of he AfterShocks 11 assists.

The free throw shooting was not great at 9-16 (56.3%). Only outrebounded the D-3 boys 41-40.

We Are D3 could only manage 19-67 (28.4%) from the field including 6-35 (17.1%) from three.

Comment

Working...
                                X