Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

You may be worried about ivy leagues. That's your prerogative. I have zero concern because they're not ever going to admit enough elite athletes to matter. Most elite athletes don't even care about going to class or have intentions of graduating.

I agree endowments, NIL, whatever matter in order to compete against peer athletic institutions (not ivy leagues). I'm simply concerned about competent leadership (both administrators and coaches) can lead the way in getting butts in the seats and rengaging the donor base. I just find it really bizarre you seem worried about Yale and Havard. You may be right but I'd bet a healthy sum you're way off.
    I'm not worried about just Yale and Harvard. I'm worried about all schools way out ahead of endowments. Texas is the biggest biting fish in the pond, that's for darn sure.

I agree. We need very strong leadership right now, but it's leadership with vision not a great "operator" we need. Someone thinking along the lines of getting the endowment ball rolling.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I'm not worried about just Yale and Harvard. I'm worried about all schools way out ahead of endowments. Texas is the biggest biting fish in the pond, that's for darn sure.

I agree. We need very strong leadership right now, but it's leadership with vision not a great "operator" we need. Someone thinking along the lines of getting the endowment ball rolling.
      We're not far off in regards to the need for endowments in general. We'll just have to agree to disagree on ivy's ever being a threat in athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
        None of this matters. Ivy league school endowments are there for a reason and none of it will ever be mixed with athletics. So what's the point?
        I think the point is that the Ivy League schools that have the giant endowments have the mechanisms to hit big donors for big contributions for NIL's without even worrying about touching their endowments.

Here is the problem:
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

I think the point is that the Ivy League schools that have the giant endowments have the mechanisms to hit big donors for big contributions for NIL's without even worrying about touching their endowments.

Here is the problem:
          https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...on-their-team/
          No the point is 4-5 star recruits and ivy's aren't interested in one another from an academic aspect. It's a 2 way street and neither side aligns academically.

Now I can see big time southern football schools filling their war chest and buying the best basketball players. That is a very real possibility.
          Last edited by BostonWu; May 19, 2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• The Ivy's still care much more about academics than they do athletics and they're not going to compromise that by allowing in guys who either don't really care about academics or simply aren't "good enough" to be a part of their club.

There are a few elite level players who maybe could still fit in academically, but they're more likely to end up at Duke or Stanford and such as they'll get a great education as well as more exposure and be challenged more by playing against the best competition on a more regular basis.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I understand the Ivy's aren't going to jump into the big-time NIL circus, the point is, they could. As could USC, UCLA, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, Penn State and more. These schools have the ability to start a bidding war right now. All they need is the desire to rule college basketball.

Hell, Alabama can't keep up, Saban is whining that A&M bought their whole roster. Finebaum just opined that when Texas joins the SEC that they will outbid A&M. So the pint is valid, while the Ivy's won't sacrifice academics for athletics, they certainly could.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Nobody has ever doubted that those other schools you listed can't or won't do such things. The argument about the Ivy's is just weird. Could they? Of course. They can pretty much raise any funds they want whenever they want considering the prestige of their schools and the graduates they have. But they never will and therefor aren't a threat.

We've all been saying for a long time that the big money programs are what could be dangerous, especially if any of them ever start caring about basketball. The good news is, that's not where they're focused and most of the football powers simply don't care about basketball and the donors probably don't see the reward in throwing **** tons of money at basketball because the fans don't care. There are and will be some exceptions, but football is going to be the major focus and where the vast majority of money is spent for NIL at said schools.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  The Ivy's still care much more about academics than they do athletics and they're not going to compromise that by allowing in guys who either don't really care about academics or simply aren't "good enough" to be a part of their club.

There are a few elite level players who maybe could still fit in academically, but they're more likely to end up at Duke or Stanford and such as they'll get a great education as well as more exposure and be challenged more by playing against the best competition on a more regular basis.
                  Today, that's true. But we have seen a shift into athletic endowments at the Ivy level -- and that's a game changer. It takes awhile for those endowments to change the game, but it DOES change the game. Small at first and then it grows into a behemoth. This is something you HAVE to get way out ahead of, because once you recognize you missed the boat, that ship is half way across the ocean and it isn't coming back. And it isn't just Ivys.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Nobody has ever doubted that those other schools you listed can't or won't do such things. The argument about the Ivy's is just weird. Could they? Of course. They can pretty much raise any funds they want whenever they want considering the prestige of their schools and the graduates they have. But they never will and therefor aren't a threat.

We've all been saying for a long time that the big money programs are what could be dangerous, especially if any of them ever start caring about basketball. The good news is, that's not where they're focused and most of the football powers simply don't care about basketball and the donors probably don't see the reward in throwing **** tons of money at basketball because the fans don't care. There are and will be some exceptions, but football is going to be the major focus and where the vast majority of money is spent for NIL at said schools.
                    The point is the Ivy's are LEADING THE WAY in athletic endowments TODAY. They are starting the war, whether they decide to participate in it or not. Other non-Ivy schools WILL follow suit.

Comment

• Not understanding what the Ivy's are doing TODAY with athletic endowments, and getting your own engine churning is _exactly_ what Darron Boatright did regarding NIL. You cannot "wait and see" regarding athletic endowments. By the time the big school's new athletic endowments grow you are just a tiny little turd stain on the silk bedsheet of college athletics.

Comment

• You also forget that schools can't directly pay for athletes, so schools with athletic endowments are restricted to paying coaches, which isn't a bad thing at all.

The NIL collectives are the ones that can create endowments in other respects and that's still not going to change the Ivy focus on academics. That is first and foremost on their agenda and athletics is just a distraction from the rest and something fun to follow. The Ivy's are not now, nor will they be a threat in the future in regards to NIL simply because of academics. Once they drop their standards there, they lose prestige elsewhere and most of their donors are NOT going to go for that. They really only care about competing with the other Ivy's fro bragging rights and taking and academic hit lessens what it means to be a graduate of one of those institutions.

This is also why the TV contracts mean jack **** when it comes to NIL and attracting athletes. Schools aren't directly involved and they're not funneling their TV money to boosters to pay athletes. It still comes down to the fans/graduates/businesses that are willing to put forth funds from their own resources. That's still wear DB dropped the ball in not trying to assist in that development and reaching out to those with the ability to set something up and let them know what is and isn't within compliance.

If you drop you obsession with the Ivy's, and focus on those with the resources, ability and desire to pay the high NIL fees to attract players you have more footing. But we've already talked about those and again, it comes down to those individuals and businesses seeing value in funneling money to athletes of sports that the locals don't care about. A lot of those football schools have had at least moments of success on the court in the past and still the fans didn't give a ****. Most of those schools aren't going to see a huge influx in talent for sports the fans don't care about as even winning doesn't move the needle much in those places. Most businesses and individuals are going to focus on those that can and will be noticed to help get their names out there and they see benefit in. Sure, you might see a few at least temporarily throw obscene money into sports the fans don't care about but I don't think that lasts, especially if the fans continue to not care.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• As a wavering "college" basketball fan...I don't think I would mind at all seeing Havard and Yale participating in a Final Four. It would do two things for me. One would be a big middle finger to the traditional blue-bloods crashing their parade...and two...it would be nice to see 4 and 5 star "show me the money" type players becoming engaged to get a high quality Ivy league education. I wouldn't mind seeing those optics.
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• * sigh *

Comment

• Tulane just got a nice commitment today from Collin Holloway. Transfer from G'Town.

View the profile of Tulane Green Wave Forward Collin Holloway on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                                Tulane just got a nice commitment today from Collin Holloway. Transfer from G'Town.

View the profile of Tulane Green Wave Forward Collin Holloway on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.
                                That does look like a good pickup. Certainly puts Holloway much closer to home.

Comment

Working...
                                X