Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LoneStar48 View Post
    I wonder how many seasons it will take before there will be one division, maybe 40 schools, involved with the NIL, and the rest of the schools making up a division of non-NIL schools? The guys who have no aspirations of going pro but playing college ball. Not wanting pay, but wanting a scholarship, or maybe just playing time.
    Yep. This is the P5 split that has always been talked out. NIL is going to cause that split.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoneStar48 View Post
      I wonder how many seasons it will take before there will be one division, maybe 40 schools, involved with the NIL, and the rest of the schools making up a division of non-NIL schools? The guys who have no aspirations of going pro but playing college ball. Not wanting pay, but wanting a scholarship, or maybe just playing time.
      My initial thought is, that if this comes to pass, the rules would be you can pay for NIL or you can provide scholarships and maybe a small stipend of $250/month or so for each athlete. If a player wants to go the NIL route he can do that but he doesn't have to take classes. If he wants to take some classes he is free to do that but he will have pay for that out of his own pocket. The players going to the scholarship route will need to be a full-time student and maintain academic eligibility as is the case now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

My initial thought is, that if this comes to pass, the rules would be you can pay for NIL or you can provide scholarships and maybe a small stipend of $250/month or so for each athlete. If a player wants to go the NIL route he can do that but he doesn't have to take classes. If he wants to take some classes he is free to do that but he will have pay for that out of his own pocket. The players going to the scholarship route will need to be a full-time student and maintain academic eligibility as is the case now.
        This whole mess was caused by the weak NCAA president. He's stepping down because he, like our AD, has no vision, plan, or actionable plan to tackle the larger issues.

Comment

• Wong backtracks...

Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong has elected not to enter the transfer portal, he told ESPN, less than 24 hours after his agent said he would transfer if his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation wasn't increased.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
            So, are you saying Wong pulls out?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post

So, are you saying Wong pulls out?
              I think what you're saying about Wong sounds about right :)
              Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• From https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...260892162.html

Wong already had a non-exclusive NIL contract with billionaire Hurricanes fan John Ruiz, who has struck NIL deals with 111 Hurricanes players to promote either or both his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing.

But Ruiz declined to re-negotiate Wong’s deal in discussions with Wong’s agent earlier this week and in conversations with Wong on Friday. Neither Ruiz nor Wong has disclosed the value of Wong’s deal with LifeWallet, but Canesport.com reported it to be $100,000.

Papas told the Miami Herald on Thursday that Wong was hoping “anyone in Miami” would step forward and give him an additional NIL deal. That apparently did not happen.
                Hopefully Wong can get by on only 100K.
                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Not sure it means much, but saw two players (both of whom are in the portal) just now on campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by ventichai View Post
                    Not sure it means much, but saw two players (both of whom are in the portal) just now on campus.
                    Players of ours from last year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Players of ours from last year?
                      Yep

Comment

Yep
                        They are still attending classes .. so that makes sense. I think Tyson is the only one that fully bailed

Comment

Yep
                          Probably just finishing out classes for the semester would be my guess. May or may not mean anything.

Comment

• makes sense!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
                              Did the agent forget to tell Wong that contracts have obligations that go both ways? Even if he sucked last year, he was going to get paid. Would he have taken less for this coming season if he had had a bad year?
                              Has anyone seen his contract? Maybe there are no penalties for leaving (if so, a poorly written contract).

Comment

Not sure it means much, but saw two players (both of whom are in the portal) just now on campus.
                                I think they need to stay academically eligible to be able to play next fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X