No announcement yet.

Boatright Stealth Extended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a close friend who was a long-term department head at WSU. That person was involved with Muma on many occasions and assures me that Muma can make hard decisions and act decisively when needed. I asked what would happen if donors went to Muma and explained why they are withholding donations and that they might contribute again if Boatright was gone. The answer was that Muma would replace Boatright.

This is my take. Removing Boatright might not be possible with the financial situation in the athletic department - unless the donors are willing to pay Boatright off. I think Muma got painted into a corner from previous commitments to Boatright and found it difficult to renege on previous agreements when there was an investigation into the basketball program.

There was speculation on the worst possible scenario for moving into the AAC. What actually happened was worse than any worst possible scenario imagined at that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
      I have a close friend who was a long-term department head at WSU. That person was involved with Muma on many occasions and assures me that Muma can make hard decisions and act decisively when needed. I asked what would happen if donors went to Muma and explained why they are withholding donations and that they might contribute again if Boatright was gone. The answer was that Muma would replace Boatright.

This is my take. Removing Boatright might not be possible with the financial situation in the athletic department - unless the donors are willing to pay Boatright off. I think Muma got painted into a corner from previous commitments to Boatright and found it difficult to renege on previous agreements when there was an investigation into the basketball program.

There was speculation on the worst possible scenario for moving into the AAC. What actually happened was worse than any worst possible scenario imagined at that time.
      That’s good to hear. With that said, who taught all these guys how to negotiate? We should be renamed to “How to suck at negotiating Univerisry”

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

That’s good to hear. With that said, who taught all these guys how to negotiate? We should be renamed to “How to suck at negotiating Univerisry”
        Amen to that.

Comment

Negotiation strategy:
          "What are your Demands?" ..... "Ok, Sign here"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

How much season ticket and donation revenue is going to be lost? How much value was the WSU brand two years ago and how much is it worth going into next year?

Not only was DB extended, but he was given an unthinkable raise when the coffers were already beginning to tap out and they NEVER bothered telling anybody about it. That’s an extremely slimy look. 3 strikes already for him IMO.
            This is a sports fan site, so most people's telescopes are pointed squarely at Koch Arena and at Eck. I get it, and nothing wrong with that, if that's your total interest in WSU (also nothing wrong with that).

I have reasons for pointing my telescope at many parts of WSU beyond sports, and will not overlook some of the excellent things being done under the current administration even though I am equally frustrated by the current AD.

I don't like that Boatright was extended, but a two year extension is fairly small mistake to make, if you are going to make the mistake.

I think the increase in compensation may have actually been a step in the RIGHT direction (even though it's unfortunate it's going to the current AD) -- if we get compensation where it should be, it will allow us to attract an experienced AD instead of another inexperienced Boatright. If our compensation is way below market value, we are going to replace Curly with Moe.

The increase in compensation was well under way before Muma stepped in as interim president. It's actually possible that a former president was trying to get compensation competitive so that they could replace Boatright.

Regardless, IF compensation is now competitive with major market ADs (I have no clue if the increase was enough) then I expect major market AD decision making. It won't happen, but that's the new expectation.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

This is a sports fan site, so most people's telescopes are pointed squarely at Koch Arena and at Eck. I get it, and nothing wrong with that, if that's your total interest in WSU (also nothing wrong with that).

I have reasons for pointing my telescope at many parts of WSU beyond sports, and will not overlook some of the excellent things being done under the current administration even though I am equally frustrated by the current AD.

I don't like that Boatright was extended, but a two year extension is fairly small mistake to make, if you are going to make the mistake.

I think the increase in compensation may have actually been a step in the RIGHT direction (even though it's unfortunate it's going to the current AD) -- if we get compensation where it should be, it will allow us to attract an experienced AD instead of another inexperienced Boatright. If our compensation is way below market value, we are going to replace Curly with Moe.

The increase in compensation was well under way before Muma stepped in as interim president. It's actually possible that a former president was trying to get compensation competitive so that they could replace Boatright.

Regardless, IF compensation is now competitive with major market ADs (I have no clue if the increase was enough) then I expect major market AD decision making. It won't happen, but that's the new expectation.
              I ask Muma of two things:

1. Have high expectations for this university (including athletics)
              2. Hold your employees to these high expectations and make changes when number 1 isn't happening

Comment

I ask Muma of two things:

1. Have high expectations for this university (including athletics)
                2. Hold your employees to these high expectations and make changes when number 1 isn't happening
                Agreed.

Comment

Two year extension to do enough damage to the basketball program took almost twenty years to build.

I’m sorry, I can’t agree on the fact that it’s a “small mistake”.
                  The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Two year extension to do enough damage to the basketball program took almost twenty years to build.

I’m sorry, I can’t agree on the fact that it’s a “small mistake”.
                    Relative to a $100,000,000 award (biggest in history), foot in the door to a new medical facility, multiple multi-million dollar buildings being negotiated and erected, while being plopped right into the middle of the worst pandemic in history?

It's a small mistake. Gimme a freakin' break.

Comment

Relative to a $100,000,000 award (biggest in history), foot in the door to a new medical facility, multiple multi-million dollar buildings being negotiated and erected, while being plopped right into the middle of the worst pandemic in history?

Weren’t multiple of those projects in the works before Muma? Is he the brain child behind everything?
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Weren’t multiple of those projects in the works before Muma? Is he the brain child behind everything?
                        Some were some weren't. What's your point? He can only take blame for direct reports that aren't performing well, but he's not going to be given credit for direct reports that are? Is that how this works?

Comment

• Is it a “small mistake” that they:

Spurned keeping 3G,
                          THEN keep an AD that was working in the department at the time,
                          THEN extended his contract,
                          THEN gave him a raise during that “worst pandemic in history”,
                          THEN keep it quiet from the public,
                          THEN tried to brush it off as nothing,
                          THEN stated he was happy with the direction of athletics?

Muma may excelling in some areas, but this wasn’t a “oops, my bad” chest pat.
                          The Assman

Comment

Honestly, almost everything you find to be a bright spot in the WSU picture overall (validly) are almost entirely John Tomblin. The perfect president for WSU might just be staring us straight in the eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Honestly, almost everything you find to be a bright spot in the WSU picture overall (validly) are almost entirely John Tomblin. The perfect president for WSU might just be staring us straight in the eyes.
                              Could be!

Comment

We're going to give you one helluva raise so we better position ourselves to find a higher quality (errrr competent) replacement!

Comment

Working...
                                X