Wichita State at UCF Game Thread 2-8-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Settling for 8th place feels pretty good.
    Yes, he is making better in game decisions/adjustments and learning. But since when is Wichita State a 'learning on the job' level program?
    Really?

The slim chance they had to avoid Thursday in Dallas went poof last night.
    No way they beat Memphis and Houston or even Cincy on the road. That ensures they finish down in the bottom with the league dregs in ECU, USF and Tulsa.
    Kinda reminds of the years of finishing in bottom 4 in The Valley and playing the dreadful Thursday night game.

But hey, IB is learning more and more each game. Woohoo!

That is all.
    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
      I understand the "learning on the job" criticism of IB's hire, but I've been happier with in-game adjustments and rotations the last 3-4 games.
      In my job, with 20 years in the business and having been an assistant to a true winner (not to mention, involved with the biz nearly my entire life), I’d be expected to produce pretty much right from the get go. There wouldn’t be a “probationary period”.

Comment

Settling for 8th place feels pretty good.
        Recognizing progress isn't settling.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Good point.

Other than CF, who have we signed through the portal that has really panned out over the last ten years? Blair, Coleby, Grady were okay. It has definitely been a negative sum game for us and one of the reasons I am bitter about college basketball.

I would like to go through the other AAC rosters and see how many transfers each one of them have and who are solid contributors. You can turn a good nucleus into a shell because of the portal, or you can turn a mediocre team into a good one in a years time.
          One thing's for sure, you got to do a hell of a lot better than Pleasant and Grant. In this day and age you can't effectively compete if you're so far off the mark in portal transactions.

Comment

• Progress??

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Yes, he is making better in game decisions/adjustments and learning. But since when is Wichita State a 'learning on the job' level program?
              Really?

The slim chance they had to avoid Thursday in Dallas went poof last night.
              No way they beat Memphis and Houston or even Cincy on the road. That ensures they finish down in the bottom with the league dregs in ECU, USF and Tulsa.
              Kinda reminds of the years of finishing in bottom 4 in The Valley and playing the dreadful Thursday night game.

But hey, IB is learning more and more each game. Woohoo!

That is all.
              I never said it was, and also said I recognized and understood the criticism. It is good that our coach, who we're going to be stuck with for a while, is getting better at coaching.

Comment

Since when is winning the AAC last year and trending to finish 8th this year progress? I will hang up and listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Since when is winning the AAC last year and trending to finish 8th this year progress? I will hang up and listen.
                  Aren't you one of the guys that says winning the AAC last year was pure luck?

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

One thing's for sure, you got to do a hell of a lot better than Pleasant and Grant. In this day and age you can't effectively compete if you're so far off the mark in portal transactions.
                    Pleasant was a head scratcher from the beginning but Grant had offers from other P5 programs. Going into the season Taylor Eldridge thought Grant would be a solid contributor. The adjustment to D1 has been a challenge for QG but you can tell he has some skill.

Comment

Progress from what? The “adjustments” have come about a month too late. A progressive coach doesn’t wait til the last couple of weeks in the season to implement new things. There were glaring issues at the beginning of the year masked by “wins” over crappy schools.

Shot selection is still an issue and turnovers seemed to have actually gotten worse.

Also, 3 road games were wiped off the table. We’re actually 3-9 and 12-12 if those get played.

Progress doesn’t mean **** unless it’s affecting the win/loss column unless we’re really THAT bad to begin with.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I understand the "learning on the job" criticism of IB's hire, but I've been happier with in-game adjustments and rotations the last 3-4 games.
                        I watched the every game this year and am curious what adjustments have impressed you?

Comment

• nm

Comment

Shot selection is still an issue and turnovers seemed to have actually gotten worse.
                            How do you fix these issues during the season when you don't have a bench you can rely on to hold the starters accountable for making these mistakes? I've never coached a basketball team, but it seems most coaches just pull players when they are making low-BBIQ mistakes.

Comment

Progress from what? The “adjustments” have come about a month too late. A progressive coach doesn’t wait til the last couple of weeks in the season to implement new things. There were glaring issues at the beginning of the year masked by “wins” over crappy schools.

Also, 3 road games were wiped off the table. We’re actually 3-9 and 12-12 if those get played.

Progress doesn’t mean **** unless it’s affecting the win/loss column unless we’re really THAT bad to begin with.
                              Agreed adjustments are late, once again never said they weren't. Hilarious that we're just assigning results of games that haven't/won't be played to try to continue with a narrative.

Some that I can remember from the last couple games:

Defensive adjustments - zone, zone with a high trap.

Offensive adjustments - RC4 in the middle of the zone, running sets to find the corner in the SMU game in the second half, putting Tyson primarily off ball, going iso with guards against UCF when they started to switch everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Good point.

Other than CF, who have we signed through the portal that has really panned out over the last ten years? Blair, Coleby, Grady were okay. It has definitely been a negative sum game for us and one of the reasons I am bitter about college basketball.

I would like to go through the other AAC rosters and see how many transfers each one of them have and who are solid contributors. You can turn a good nucleus into a shell because of the portal, or you can turn a mediocre team into a good one in a years time.
                                I hear you on the "bitter" part. I'm getting close to being done with college sports. The NIL deal makes me want to . That's one of the issues with this year's team... they needed to focus on basketball and not the other crap (NIL).

We know cheating has always been rampant, but now it's 'legal' and has been taken to a new level.

If you have enough football money, you can quickly 'polish a turd' with a few key transfers.

Back in the day, Al McGuire called it a "Jet Job"; when a "mediocre" program became good overnight... they paid to get "Aircraft Carriers" (a large Center - another one of Al's McGuire-isms).

Sorry, I'm getting old and bitter.

Ole Ross is spinning in his grave. RIP brother!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X