No announcement yet.

UCF at Wichita State Game Thread 1-26-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is pretty clear that opponents, especially in AAC play, are not going to let Tyson beat them and most have the ability to take that away. So the other guys are going to have to step up and make teams pay for that strategy. Last night Ricky made that happen with the assistance of Mo, Dex and Craig. Unfortunately, this has been the exception instead of the rule this year.

I'm sure the coaching staff is aware this is the case, but I am not sure they have done much game planning with this in mind. Perhaps they simply do not have the confidence that the other guys can step up consistently. And so far that seems to have been the case. Ricky's done it in a few games. Dex seems to be coming on a little lately but has shot the ball very poorly this year. Mo is pretty solid when he plays to his strengths but he struggles when double teamed and is a very poor passer. Craig is not going to score a lot but he makes everyone better.

At this point any win is a good win but it does not appear that they will come easy. It will be interesting to see how the guys play at Tulane on Saturday. The first time going on the road in 3 weeks. It will be only the 4th true road game so far this year but the Shock have wins over Mizzou and Oklahoma State in 2 of the previous road games. Tulane has kind of been up and down this year.

Tyson had a decent game in the 1 point loss to Tulane in Wichita and Craig had his best game of the year in that one. However, Mo and Dex did not play in that game. I think the Shocks have a decent shot in that game.

Comment

• Overall better performance in regard to effort and teamwork. Pleasant was more aggressive, diving on the floor and taking it too the basket. ( albeit a charge) we actually had a stronger second half which hasn’t always been the case. Council had a great game and deserves a start with Etienne coming off the bench. Photo had moments and Dexter is getting his shot back. Porter needs to be on the court as much as possible. Hopefully we can back this game up with a similar effort and result. I don’t think we’re as bad as our record is as long as there’s effort, teamwork and intelligent play.

Comment

• Glad the Shox were able to get the win. Team looked much better from a hustle and effort standpoint. Dexter continues to work his a$$ off and I am so impressed with him. By far the best player on this team. Council has the talent but lacks the defensive intensity. Mo looked good in the first half. What happened to Monzy? Did I miss something? I still find it amusing that Bob Hull is so shocked when TE misses shots. It's like he simply can't believe it.

Comment

• This team will win games if they don't have 6+ minute scoring droughts. Consistency is key. They don't have a play a perfect game but they can't play 7 good minutes and then 7 god-awful minutes and expect to win.

Comment

• There are two major weaknesses that I saw last night...well, three if you count Mo with the ball making a move anytime....ANY team that does not double him once he gets the ball is stupid.

First, there is NO sense of killer mindset...NONE.....no one has it ...recruit a hoop KILLER....

Second, for a bunch of pretty smart academic kids, there is a a shocking (no pun intended) lack of high BBIQ.....case in point(no pun intended) point guard CP2 who on both his FOURTH AND FIFTH FOULS DID NOT COMPREHEND THAT HE NEEDED TO BE ON THE COURT!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO FOULS RIGHT THERE!!!! LET THEM SCORE!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
              Glad the Shox were able to get the win. Team looked much better from a hustle and effort standpoint. Dexter continues to work his a$$ off and I am so impressed with him. By far the best player on this team. Council has the talent but lacks the defensive intensity. Mo looked good in the first half. What happened to Monzy? Did I miss something? I still find it amusing that Bob Hull is so shocked when TE misses shots. It's like he simply can't believe it.
              Monzy managed 2 Fouls and a TO in the 5 min of gametime he had. I don't think he went back in after he got an offensive rebound .. proceeded to try to drive through a double team, got stripped, then committed a dumb foul on top of that.

Monzy also likely lost some minutes last night because Pleasant had one of his better games and was hustling all over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                This team will win games if they don't have 6+ minute scoring droughts. Consistency is key. They don't have a play a perfect game but they can't play 7 good minutes and then 7 god-awful minutes and expect to win.
                The game has always been about runs. A good coach will adjust to stop them in a reasonable time. Other coaches miss the mark.

Comment

• Ricky got his points due to the attention given to Tyson. You don't get the same production when Tyson is on the bench. Next game might be someone else. Our guys just have to recognize cause and effect and not get big heads or get down to to their personal numbers from game to game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    While am at it, Mo still may have time to learn how to kickout from the post and not always try to force shots through taller opponents (although I am somewhat amazed he is as successful as he is).

He has 5 total assists for the season as a senior playing 24.4 mpg. Pohto has 7 assists for the season as a freshman playing 14.3 mpg.
                    There was one play in particular where I realized Mo is probably never going to get it. He received the ball about 6 feet from the basket, defender right behind him. He had two open teammates spotted up right in his field of view - one on the high wing, another on the baseline. Rather than quickly pass it back to one of them, he probed his opportunities first. I don't know how any decent, unselfish post player doesn't see that he is only the third best option in that situation.

Until a coach makes Mo do sprints and push-ups every time he doesn't kick it out, he'll never get it. And even then, I have my doubts.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

There was one play in particular where I realized Mo is probably never going to get it. He received the ball about 6 feet from the basket, defender right behind him. He had two open teammates spotted up right in his field of view - one on the high wing, another on the baseline. Rather than quickly pass it back to one of them, he probed his opportunities first. I don't know how any decent, unselfish post player doesn't see that he is only the third best option in that situation.

Until a coach makes Mo do sprints and push-ups every time he doesn't kick it out, he'll never get it. And even then, I have my doubts.
                      This is probably my biggest gripe from last night. This is not hard... he cannot win going 2-1 - unless maybe he is right in front of the basket. PASS!! How IB hasn't rectified that is ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

This is probably my biggest gripe from last night. This is not hard... he cannot win going 2-1 - unless maybe he is right in front of the basket. PASS!! How IB hasn't rectified that is ridiculous.
                        I think Mo knows hes the best option ... and Pohto isn't close to being able to replace him. IB may or may not be able to get through to him. Not saying I know for sure IB is trying to rectify it .. but we really have no options at the 5. Pohto has been abused since conference season started. He oozes potential, but he's not holding his own right now.

Comment

He's such a frustrating player to watch. If he'd only realize his opportunities would increase if he did pass out of the double team and let his teammates punish the defense. It wouldn't take long for an opposing coach to back out that defensive scheme if they hit a couple 3s or back door cuts. Then he could get some 1 on 1 chances and work on trying to make a 1ft layup (another issue).

One other thing that drives me nuts with him (and others) is that he can have 3 or 4 horrible plays in a row and then make a basket and celebrates like he hit a game winner in the championship. He's not the only one like that though. Don't get me wrong, I like the emotion. Just need to be aware to the situation. Half the time those celebrations seem to turn into a fast break for the other team.

Comment

• Originally posted by eeshocker View Post

He's such a frustrating player to watch. If he'd only realize his opportunities would increase if he did pass out of the double team and let his teammates punish the defense. It wouldn't take long for an opposing coach to back out that defensive scheme if they hit a couple 3s or back door cuts. Then he could get some 1 on 1 chances and work on trying to make a 1ft layup (another issue).

One other thing that drives me nuts with him (and others) is that he can have 3 or 4 horrible plays in a row and then make a basket and celebrates like he hit a game winner in the championship. He's not the only one like that though. Don't get me wrong, I like the emotion. Just need to be aware to the situation. Half the time those celebrations seem to turn into a fast break for the other team.
                            I know how this will sound, but I miss the days when the first thought after the ball went through the net was, "what defense are we in, where's my man, or where do I need to be on the press".

Comment

• Originally posted by eeshocker View Post

Ricky had one of those “celebrations” following a nifty baseline move in the Cincinnati game (or could have been Tulane?); he celebrated like we won the game and Cincinnati hit back-to-back threes and tied the game… it went downhill from there.

Ricky is my favorite player and I hope we keep him… he has an big upside. I overheard a guy sitting in front of me last night say Ricky will sure look good in crimson and blue next year. He’s a huge Shocker fan, so I’m sure it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but noteworthy.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I know how this will sound, but I miss the days when the first thought after the ball went through the net was, "what defense are we in, where's my man, or where do I need to be on the press".
                                "Act like you've been there before".

Comment

Working...
                                X