Blame Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

Tell me, how hard do you tough guys get thinking about adults physically abusing kids that really have no choice but to take it?

I mean, after all. You guys were abused I guess..... and look how you turned out! Well adjusted, condoning violence just so the team you root for can maybe win more games. That's not sad at all.
    Yes, these words you use so freely “abuse” and “violence” without having seen anything, considered any context, or the fact that Shaq didn’t even consider it worthy of mention until 5 years later after being hotly pursued by self aggrandizing sports reporter…rich…and accurate too. Tough is right!

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

Violence? I said a smack on the back on the head if they're misbehaving...that's not violence, it's discipline. Something this world needs A LOT more of.
      Some kids are just raised to be meth heads. Society needs someone to stamp license plates.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

Violence? I said a smack on the back on the head if they're misbehaving...that's not violence, it's discipline. Something this world needs A LOT more of.
        If your only tool is a hammer...
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

If your only tool is a hammer...
          I know of a guy (high end contractor in the ICT area) that also builds houses in 3rd world countries with a hammer and a chainsaw.

it’s not the tool, it’s how you use it.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• When I was a high school freshman many moons ago, we had a legendary snowball fight during a heavy ‘wet’ snow; we were hitting kids as they attempted to board the school busses. School had been let out early that day, so it was a ‘party’ type atmosphere. Several buddies and I participated (think Elf firing snowballs) and were blasting everyone in sight.

After several minutes of fun, we heard a loud whistle and it was the school principal. He summoned us to his office (I recall about a dozen guys). The ‘legend’ around school was this 6’ 5” Paul Bunyan of a man could lift your a$$ off the ground with one swat. Well, you guessed it, old Paul (Paul Paul tell it all) gave us a short preachin’ and pulled out the biggest a$$ whippin’ board I’d ever seen; he had it custom made to fit his large frame (it was rumored to be balanced and blueprinted); it was much larger than the traditional Greek paddles you see today at antique stores. This was a ‘monster’ paddle that made you want to hug your momma.

Old Paul asked the boys (participating girls were omitted) who wanted to be first? Well, old WstateU has (had) a big set of cajones back in the day and volunteered first. I thought it might take Paul a few swats to get his rhythm, but no, he was on his game immediately. The first swat (I honestly don’t recall if there were multiples) took me to my knees and I’m sure raised me off the floor a little. Nothing was said and I immediately exited his office and ‘waddled’ to my vehicle and headed home. I don’t recall crying, but holy $hit, that swat was a ‘grand slam’ for old Paul… he definitely hit the sweet spot. I couldn’t feel my butt for a couple of hours.

Paul was a good old soul and I never held any animosity towards him throughout high school; he was simply doing his job and protecting other students. We had been told not to have snow ball fights (it snowed a lot back in those days before global warming:) and we disobeyed and deserved what we got.

We all laughed about it the next day in school, but we NEVER had a school yard snowball fight again. When I make a snowball today (I made one this morning), I’m reminded of that vicious swat before I select a target.

“Spare the rod and spoil the child.” There’s discipline and there’s abuse… there’s a big difference between the two. A simple swat on the butt isn’t a beating. As a parent, you have to use your brain and use a little common sense.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              When I was a high school freshman many moons ago, we had a legendary snowball fight during a heavy ‘wet’ snow; we were hitting kids as they attempted to board the school busses. School had been let out early that day, so it was a ‘party’ type atmosphere. Several buddies and I participated (think Elf firing snowballs) and were blasting everyone in sight.

After several minutes of fun, we heard a loud whistle and it was the school principal. He summoned us to his office (I recall about a dozen guys). The ‘legend’ around school was this 6’ 5” Paul Bunyan of a man could lift your a$$ off the ground with one swat. Well, you guessed it, old Paul (Paul Paul tell it all) gave us a short preachin’ and pulled out the biggest a$$ whippin’ board I’d ever seen; he had it custom made to fit his large frame (it was rumored to be balanced and blueprinted); it was much larger than the traditional Greek paddles you see today at antique stores. This was a ‘monster’ paddle that made you want to hug your momma.

Old Paul asked the boys (participating girls were omitted) who wanted to be first? Well, old WstateU has (had) a big set of cajones back in the day and volunteered first. I thought it might take Paul a few swats to get his rhythm, but no, he was on his game immediately. The first swat (I honestly don’t recall if there were multiples) took me to my knees and I’m sure raised me off the floor a little. Nothing was said and I immediately exited his office and ‘waddled’ to my vehicle and headed home. I don’t recall crying, but holy $hit, that swat was a ‘grand slam’ for old Paul… he definitely hit the sweet spot. I couldn’t feel my butt for a couple of hours.

Paul was a good old soul and I never held any animosity towards him throughout high school; he was simply doing his job and protecting other students. We had been told not to have snow ball fights (it snowed a lot back in those days before global warming:) and we disobeyed and deserved what we got.

We all laughed about it the next day in school, but we NEVER had a school yard snowball fight again. When I make a snowball today (I made one this morning), I’m reminded of that vicious swat before I select a target.

“Spare the rod and spoil the child.” There’s discipline and there’s abuse… there’s a big difference between the two. A simple swat on the butt isn’t a beating. As a parent, you have to use your brain and use a little common sense.
              Times have sure changed. My elementary school principal had full authority to whoop my butt anytime he saw fit. The only thing my mom asked was that she is contacted first. The only reason she wanted to be contacted first is so she would beat my butt when I got home as well. It's a long time ago and I honestly don't remember if it ever happened, but I do remember the thought of it happening was a definite deterrent. Heck, my fourth grade teacher would pull kids out of class and send them to the little store to buy him a pack of cigarettes. That was over the line, even then, and he was eventually fired.

Good times.

Comment

• Me and two of my buddies were sent to the Assistant Principal at our high school deservedly after a prank we pulled. The AP was in charge of discipline. He was a Jesuit priest, who wasn't overly big, but was strong as an ox and no one wanted to mess with that Irishman although he was well-liked.

He gave us a choice. We could let him paddle our behinds, often they would would use a size 12 Converse All-Star shoe, or we could each give each other two swats on the butt with our bare hands. However, if the AP thought any of use were not giving it everything we had then he would get to paddle that person. IIRC our hands stung far worse than our butts. But we all thought that he was pretty cool and thankful he was satisfied with our mutual whacks. We still liked him very much and certainly did not lose any respect for him.

No doubt though that physical punishment can and is taken too far. Saw that in the 8th grade when a nun beat the crap out of classmate with yard stick IIRC. That was way beyond the pale although as far as I know she faced no repercussions. Now she was one we did not like and never respected before or after that incident. But we did fear her.

One of the biggest problems with physical punishment is that it can be too easy to cross the line, intentional or otherwise, especially if the person delivering the punishment has difficulty controlling their emotions. Fortunately, there are other ways of delivering consequences. But even then lines can be crossed. Sometimes mental abuse is worse than physical abuse. Fortunately, I think most of us able to stay on the right side of the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  Someone named Coach Nutter was a PE teacher? Sounds like a character from Porkys.
                  I had Coach Raper at Truesdell. The first thing he told us in the 7th grade was suit up, shut up and do as your told. If you talked when he was talking he would throw whatever he had in his hand at you. He had a paddle that he used. I only got it once for swinging on the ropes.
                  Last edited by WeWillShockU2; January 6, 2022, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

I had Coach Raper at Truesdale. The first thing he told us in the 7th grade was suit up, shut up and do as your told. If you talked when he was talking he would throw whatever he had in his hand at you. He had a paddle that he used. I only got it once for swinging on the ropes.
                    Coach Raper? Coach Nutter?

You guys are screwing with me….
                    Last edited by shoxlax; January 6, 2022, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Coach Raper? Coach Nutter? #metoo

Coach Raper is legendary. Look him up. Pretty sure his first name was Robert. Looks like he is still alive at 94. LOL
                      Last edited by WeWillShockU2; January 6, 2022, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Coach Raper is legendary. Look him up. Pretty sure his first name was Robert. Looks like he is still alive at 94. LOL
                        Were you there with Coach Enders? I had him at Truesdale back in late 70's and was a close friend of the family.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Were you there with Coach Enders? I had him at Truesdale back in late 70's and was a close friend of the family.
                          Yes. Coach Raper, Coach Enders and Coach Steele. The coach you had for 7th moved up each year. I had Coach Raper for all 3 years of junior high. Lot of memories! I was there 70 - 73.

Comment

Yes. Coach Raper, Coach Enders and Coach Steele. The coach you had for 7th moved up each year. I had Coach Raper for all 3 years of junior high. Lot of memories!
                            Jim Enders was probably the best man I've ever known. Was sad to see him wither away in the end. Named a Magnet school after him. His funeral had 35 years worth of students that attended.

Comment

Coach Raper? Coach Nutter?

This thread is quickly becoming Shockernet gold.

Let me tell you a story about Coach Mike Hunt.......

Ok seriously, I've often thought that if I weren't old, white and male, I could go back and sue my grade school Principal for literally slugging me with a board/paddle that you would go to jail for swinging today, or my PE teacher that kicked me into a cinder wall ( molly jabali knows this cinder wall lol) and probably caused a concussion. The first incident was guilt by association, the second for not paying attention...as a 3rd grader. Tough times back then.

Next up, a story about Coach Richard Hurtz.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

This thread is quickly becoming Shockernet gold.

Let me tell you a story about Coach Mike Hunt.......

Ok seriously, I've often thought that if I weren't old, white and male, I could go back and sue my grade school Principal for literally slugging me with a board/paddle that you would go to jail for swinging today, or my PE teacher that kicked me into a cinder wall ( molly jabali knows this cinder wall lol) and probably caused a concussion. The first incident was guilt by association, the second for not paying attention...as a 3rd grader. Tough times back then.

Next up, a story about Coach Richard Hurtz.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X