Blame Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

And we wonder why kids actually were disciplined and were raised being taught respect 30 years ago and don't turn into friggin snowflakes now days...

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

Love this take. It's spot on.

I went to a one room country school for 5 years. Corporal punishment was practiced there. I got my butt whipped by a teacher's belt once. That didn't make me respect the teacher. It didn't make me more willing to follow his instructions. It just made me hate him.

50 years ago spanking a kid in school was acceptable. Not any more. 30 years ago a coach putting his hands on a player in anger was the norm. that era is long gone. Comparing Marshall to Bobby Knight is a fool's game. The atmosphere and environment of college athletes has changed radically since Knight was a coach. Bobby Knight wouldn't last 2 years in today's environment.
      Jesus, you're old

Comment

I went to a one room country school for 5 years. Corporal punishment was practiced there. I got my butt whipped by a teacher's belt once. That didn't make me respect the teacher. It didn't make me more willing to follow his instructions. It just made me hate him.

50 years ago spanking a kid in school was acceptable. Not any more. 30 years ago a coach putting his hands on a player in anger was the norm. that era is long gone. Comparing Marshall to Bobby Knight is a fool's game. The atmosphere and environment of college athletes has changed radically since Knight was a coach. Bobby Knight wouldn't last 2 years in today's environment.
        Pin's right. You have to be exceedingly old. Are you talking country school, with one teacher, and all ages in one classroom? Because one room country school houses were quite rare after 1945-1950, even in rural Kansas. Those 8th grade educations are very rare. So, if you're at least, 90 years old, I can see why you required anyone coming to your house for a gathering, wear a mask.

Now there have been country schools since then but they have been practically nonexistent for 50 years too. Anything's possible though.

Comment

It had the opposite effect on me. Coach Nutter at Mayberry caught me snapping a towel at a kid after showers. This was strictly forbidden but I didn't think he was watching. It earned me a swat with no clothes on in front of the rest of the locker room. That was the last time I did that. I respected and feared Coach Nutter at the same time, but I didn't hate him.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Someone named Coach Nutter was a PE teacher? Sounds like a character from Porkys.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
              Someone named Coach Nutter was a PE teacher? Sounds like a character from Porkys.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

It had the opposite effect on me. Coach Nutter at Mayberry caught me snapping a towel at a kid after showers. This was strictly forbidden but I didn't think he was watching. It earned me a swat with no clothes on in front of the rest of the locker room. That was the last time I did that. I respected and feared Coach Nutter at the same time, but I didn't hate him.
                Not a bad guy from what I heard!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Pin's right. You have to be exceedingly old. Are you talking country school, with one teacher, and all ages in one classroom? Because one room country school houses were quite rare after 1945-1950, even in rural Kansas. Those 8th grade educations are very rare. So, if you're at least, 90 years old, I can see why you required anyone coming to your house for a gathering, wear a mask.

Now there have been country schools since then but they have been practically nonexistent for 50 years too. Anything's possible though.
                  he took his lunch in a bucket if that tells you anything

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Good guy, and Coach Morgan was too. You just didn't break the rules or give them any lip.
                    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Nutter was very respected and probably in the mainstream, which most Jr. High Coaches were in the 60's. Fear was not an uncommon way to motivate kids back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Nutter was very respected and probably in the mainstream, which most Jr. High Coaches were in the 60's. Fear was not an uncommon way to motivate kids back then.
                        That is a fact. Any Pleasant Valley alums on here, lol.

Comment

If my kid is screwing around and a teacher or coach smacks them in the back of the head to get their attention or get them to stop - I have ZERO issues with that.
                          Any violence visited on my child by an authority figure in school will be repaid in spades.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Any violence visited on my child by an authority figure in school will be repaid in spades.
                            Violence? I said a smack on the back on the head if they're misbehaving...that's not violence, it's discipline. Something this world needs A LOT more of.

Comment

Violence? I said a smack on the back on the head if they're misbehaving...that's not violence, it's discipline. Something this world needs A LOT more of.
                              It's an insurrection!!

Comment

• I had a grade school PE teacher who's office was beneath the bleachers in the gym. I was part of a small group of boys (3 or 4 of us) who did something to earn a trip with him down to his office while the rest of the class sat in the bleachers directly above.

This teacher was known to have a plastic whiffle ball bat in his office that he used to administer swats. After we got a stern talking to, he proceeded to hit the bat against his wooden desk several times, making a very loud noise. He asked us to keep his secret. When we emerged from the depths the rest of the class had a look of horror on their faces.

To this day I don't think anyone has had a bad word to say about him and is still beloved. My boys had him as a teacher and/or driver's ed instructor. He was an excellent basketball coach and treated everyone with respect. Dude was just an awesome guy and teacher.

Comment

Working...
                                X