Blame Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Happened to me. I was jacking around at football practice at Wichita South in early 80s. "Wild" Bill Oswalt hauled off and hit me in the back of my helmet so hard it twisted sideways so I was damn near looking out my ear hole. Guess what, it worked. No more dickin' around at practice.

Didn't even decide 5 years later that it hurt my feelings.

Different times.
    The red dot that appeared in the middle of Wild Bill's forehead when a kid felt lucky in History class was enough for me to hide under my desk. With that said, football is totally different than basketball. In football the barrier between a coaches anger and the player has layers of pads and a helmet. In basketball there isn't that protection. I do side that players today have thinner skin than years gone by players, but you don't hit a player from a position of anger that we all know is possessed within Marshall. If that and other behaviors didn't happen, Marshall would still be at the helm. Oh and by the way RIP Wild Bill.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

The red dot that appeared in the middle of Wild Bill's forehead when a kid felt lucky in History class was enough for me to hide under my desk. With that said, football is totally different than basketball. In football the barrier between a coaches anger and the player has layers of pads and a helmet. In basketball there isn't that protection. I do side that players today have thinner skin than years gone by players, but you don't hit a player from a position of anger that we all know is possessed within Marshall. If that and other behaviors didn't happen, Marshall would still be at the helm. Oh and by the way RIP Wild Bill.
      That man's arms were frickin huge!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

He was Mr. Ugh. I counted 36 in his USGovernment class. The dude was only there for 30 minutes. I had his class over the lunch hour. He was always 30 minutes late. Worthless teacher.

Comment

• After heading into the abyss, I'm just glad that our basketball program's trajectory is headed back up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
            After heading into the abyss, I'm just glad that our basketball program's trajectory is headed back up.
            Meth is bad
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

He was Mr. Ugh. I counted 36 in his USGovernment class. The dude was only there for 30 minutes. I had his class over the lunch hour. He was always 30 minutes late. Worthless teacher.
              School's are better today for sure. You don't have to fear any rulers coming down on your hands, arms, or legs, and kids learn better. Fear was used in those days. In fact, today, kids sometimes bring the guns.

I remember two guys getting into a fight during P.E. class, and the teacher brought everyone inside, and let them fight it out in the gym with everyone watching.
              Last edited by Shockm; January 5, 2022, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• I changed my mind. I'm taking the UConn fan approach and saying the blame lies squarely on the AAC. We have to get out of this doormat conference so we can recruit better.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  I changed my mind. I'm taking the UConn fan approach and saying the blame lies squarely on the AAC. We have to get out of this doormat conference so we can recruit better.
                  We gotta get back in the MVC. We had much more success with lower quality players.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

School's are better today for sure. You don't have to fear any rulers coming down on your hands, arms, or legs, and kids learn better. Fear was used in those days. In fact, today, kids sometimes bring the guns.

I remember two guys getting into a fight during P.E. class, and the teacher brought everyone inside, and let them fight it out in the gym with everyone watching.
                    I remember back in the day, when the kid was failing or f***ing up in school, the parent’s got mad at the kid.

Now, it’s everyone but the kids fault.

Times are so much better!
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

We gotta get back in the MVC. We had much more success with lower quality players.
                      Higher quality players, but who is keeping track?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                        The people who are so shocked and on their high horses about the punch in the back never played football or basketball for a good coach in the 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s. I guess we were a little tougher then.
                        Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

Yep. Now kids can’t even be around someone with a different opinion. I fear for our country.
                        Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Well at least we have a nice players coach now. It's all sunshine and roses and everyone gets to participate.

Tell me, how hard do you tough guys get thinking about adults physically abusing kids that really have no choice but to take it?

I mean, after all. You guys were abused I guess..... and look how you turned out! Well adjusted, condoning violence just so the team you root for can maybe win more games. That's not sad at all.
                        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Higher quality players, but who is keeping track?
                          No no no. We have higher quality players because we are in the AAC. No way we could recruit the types of scrubs we had back when we were in the MVC.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Two things can be true at the same time:

Marshall crossed the line many times and ultimately has himself to blame for his departure.

AND

The hiring of a “players’ coach” was made hastily and made for the wrong reasons, and questions about his coaching ability remain. Furthermore, criticism of his approach does not necessarily mean that everyone criticizing him just thinks players are weak-minded nowadays.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                              Two things can be true at the same time:

Marshall crossed the line many times and ultimately has himself to blame for his departure.

AND

The hiring of a “players’ coach” was made hastily and made for the wrong reasons, and questions about his coaching ability remain. Furthermore, criticism of his approach does not necessarily mean that everyone criticizing him just thinks players are weak-minded nowadays.
                              Love this take. It's spot on.

I went to a one room country school for 5 years. Corporal punishment was practiced there. I got my butt whipped by a teacher's belt once. That didn't make me respect the teacher. It didn't make me more willing to follow his instructions. It just made me hate him.

50 years ago spanking a kid in school was acceptable. Not any more. 30 years ago a coach putting his hands on a player in anger was the norm. that era is long gone. Comparing Marshall to Bobby Knight is a fool's game. The atmosphere and environment of college athletes has changed radically since Knight was a coach. Bobby Knight wouldn't last 2 years in today's environment.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

Love this take. It's spot on.

I went to a one room country school for 5 years. Corporal punishment was practiced there. I got my butt whipped by a teacher's belt once. That didn't make me respect the teacher. It didn't make me more willing to follow his instructions. It just made me hate him.

50 years ago spanking a kid in school was acceptable. Not any more. 30 years ago a coach putting his hands on a player in anger was the norm. that era is long gone. Comparing Marshall to Bobby Knight is a fool's game. The atmosphere and environment of college athletes has changed radically since Knight was a coach. Bobby Knight wouldn't last 2 years in today's environment.
                                And we wonder why kids actually were disciplined and were raised being taught respect 30 years ago and don't turn into friggin snowflakes now days...

Comment

Working...
                                X