No announcement yet.

Memphis at Wichita State Game Thread 1-1-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wasn't going to read the comments about today's game but I did read the ones preceding this post. All I have got to say is what a bunch of whiney people. And I think that is a pretty generous description. I did not expect to lose and I did not expect us to lose by 18 points. I saw a Memphis team that was physically superior in the post positions and tall athletic forwards that defended extremely well. I will have to wait to see how Memphis continues to play but if they play like they did today then you saw the AAC champions for this year. I didn't see any quit in the Shocks and I didn't see them quit on the defensive side either. Saw shots that did not fall and I saw a lot of CONTESTED shots made by Memphis.. So if your whole year was ruined by today's game then I would eagerly support you to find a better way to spend your time. Some clown yelled "Bring back Marshall" during one of the time outs and yes Marshall is not coming back. He had his chance to keep his job and all he had to do was offer an apology and a promise to work on his shortcomings but for what ever reason he didn't think he could or should do that and so he is gone. The man is not coming back so you folks that feel that way should just try and get over it. Someone says they have been supporting the team since 2001 and doesn't feel he can support them going forward..So he started supporting the Shocks at the start of the Mark Turgeon era. Well I have been supporting them since the Gene Smithson era and even though the Cohen and Randy Smithson and Scott Thompson eras I was still in the stands. I suppose many of you dissenters would think that pretty stupid but I guess I see it as being loyal to something like a program even if it fails to meet my expectations. I have seen highs and lows in the program over the last 40 years and have seen some pretty pathetic games so if all of you that think this is rock bottom and have serious doubts about continued support then shame on you. The Marine Corps motto is Semper Fidelis and that means "always faithful" and not when it's good but during the bad times as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Maybe the offense needs to involve a bit more than dribble, dribble, pass to Tyson, force an improbable NBA shot.
      You’re forgetting the great pass the ball to a teammate and watch him drop the pass play….or the pass the ball to the big man and watch him dribble immediately play.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
        I wasn't going to read the comments about today's game but I did read the ones preceding this post. All I have got to say is what a bunch of whiney people. And I think that is a pretty generous description. I did not expect to lose and I did not expect us to lose by 18 points. I saw a Memphis team that was physically superior in the post positions and tall athletic forwards that defended extremely well. I will have to wait to see how Memphis continues to play but if they play like they did today then you saw the AAC champions for this year. I didn't see any quit in the Shocks and I didn't see them quit on the defensive side either. Saw shots that did not fall and I saw a lot of CONTESTED shots made by Memphis.. So if your whole year was ruined by today's game then I would eagerly support you to find a better way to spend your time. Some clown yelled "Bring back Marshall" during one of the time outs and yes Marshall is not coming back. He had his chance to keep his job and all he had to do was offer an apology and a promise to work on his shortcomings but for what ever reason he didn't think he could or should do that and so he is gone. The man is not coming back so you folks that feel that way should just try and get over it. Someone says they have been supporting the team since 2001 and doesn't feel he can support them going forward..So he started supporting the Shocks at the start of the Mark Turgeon era. Well I have been supporting them since the Gene Smithson era and even though the Cohen and Randy Smithson and Scott Thompson eras I was still in the stands. I suppose many of you dissenters would think that pretty stupid but I guess I see it as being loyal to something like a program even if it fails to meet my expectations. I have seen highs and lows in the program over the last 40 years and have seen some pretty pathetic games so if all of you that think this is rock bottom and have serious doubts about continued support then shame on you. The Marine Corps motto is Semper Fidelis and that means "always faithful" and not when it's good but during the bad times as well.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

That was an extremely tough and rushed shot. And you are right, it was his best look of the game.
          Then he shouldn’t have shot it. That has been my frustration all year with him.

Comment

• All I have to say is god forbid fans have high expectations. A good program should have high expectations. I prefer my university to not look like a joke. Because after that performance, the narrative is what happened to this program. I also think a lot of the upset fans would be a lot less pissed if we didn’t get clowned by an AAU coach twice a season. For everyone who blindly claps for mediocrity, good for you, I guess?

I hope they get better. I hope IB figures this out. It just cracks me up when I hear “spoiled fans” as if the athletic department and WSU as a whole should expect our hard earned money.

Believe it or not, you can be a fan with high expectations.

Comment

• A few thoughts from today.

The UNI level flop which went against Pohto was a pivotal moment. Perhaps if Pohto makes a basket there and doesn't pickup a 2nd foul on the ensuing Memphis possession, it changes the outlook for the remainder of the half. Instead, Pohto was forced to sit the remainder of the half.

Too many missed free throws early.

The last four minutes of the first half were awful. JP provides no spark offensively. Everything was downhill from there.

Overall, Dexter played really well. Council needs to play better defense. It sure would have been nice for Pohto to have made a 3.

Memphis was big and talented but was turnover prone when under pressure. Too often they weren't under any pressure at all. There were too many shots where a defender didn't have a hand up.
              Tough loss no doubt but I'm still optimistic the team can turn things around.
              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                I wasn't going to read the comments about today's game but I did read the ones preceding this post. All I have got to say is what a bunch of whiney people. And I think that is a pretty generous description. I did not expect to lose and I did not expect us to lose by 18 points. I saw a Memphis team that was physically superior in the post positions and tall athletic forwards that defended extremely well. I will have to wait to see how Memphis continues to play but if they play like they did today then you saw the AAC champions for this year. I didn't see any quit in the Shocks and I didn't see them quit on the defensive side either. Saw shots that did not fall and I saw a lot of CONTESTED shots made by Memphis.. So if your whole year was ruined by today's game then I would eagerly support you to find a better way to spend your time. Some clown yelled "Bring back Marshall" during one of the time outs and yes Marshall is not coming back. He had his chance to keep his job and all he had to do was offer an apology and a promise to work on his shortcomings but for what ever reason he didn't think he could or should do that and so he is gone. The man is not coming back so you folks that feel that way should just try and get over it. Someone says they have been supporting the team since 2001 and doesn't feel he can support them going forward..So he started supporting the Shocks at the start of the Mark Turgeon era. Well I have been supporting them since the Gene Smithson era and even though the Cohen and Randy Smithson and Scott Thompson eras I was still in the stands. I suppose many of you dissenters would think that pretty stupid but I guess I see it as being loyal to something like a program even if it fails to meet my expectations. I have seen highs and lows in the program over the last 40 years and have seen some pretty pathetic games so if all of you that think this is rock bottom and have serious doubts about continued support then shame on you. The Marine Corps motto is Semper Fidelis and that means "always faithful" and not when it's good but during the bad times as well.
                I said I have gone to the conference tournament since 2001. I have been supporting the shocks since we were pissing in troughs at Levitt Arena.

Ill say this about your poetic “always faithful” post…who gives a ****! You want some kind of award? You are fine with mediocrity and or will bury your head in the sand when a program that took 20 years to build is being destroyed in lightning fashion.

We have the facilities and support to be Gonzaga but unfortunately apologist like you who are okay with being mediocre and think that you are a hero but you are really a part of the problem.

The last 2 years have been a comedy of errors for those in charge at WSU and you can choose to accept it and go back to the days of maybe being a 12 seed every other decade. No not me.

Comment

• At what point do “good shooters” stop go from “just can't make a shot” to “just can't shoot”?!?!

I get sick of hearing how everyone on the team can play for the Golden State Warriors and they end up looking like they play for the Washington Generals...
                  The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                    At what point do “good shooters” stop go from “just can't make a shot” to “just can't shoot”?!?!

I get sick of hearing how everyone on the team can play for the Golden State Warriors and they end up looking like they play for the Washington Generals...
                    I just love the "well they drill everything in practice" lines.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I just love the "well they drill everything in practice" lines.
                      There is a reason why Steph Curry and everyone else shoots 90% in practice uncontested.

Steph, however, proves he’s good shooter by making 45% in the actual game.
                      The Assman

Comment

• I am going to start playing the “they were the better team today” drinking game during post game interviews.

I’ll be bombed out of my mind within seconds, and probably will need rehab after the Houston game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                          I am going to start playing the “they were the better team today” drinking game during post game interviews.

I’ll be bombed out of my mind within seconds, and probably will need rehab after the Houston game.
                          Add: “the foot good shots, they just couldn’t make any of them” to the rules
                          The Assman

Comment

• There is a true saying that says: " A team takes on the personality of its coach"

This team comes out flat almost every game. No energy. It comes out flat after every half, the players look like they can barely make it back to the floor after half. Hell, it seems like any energy they manufacture during the game gets sucked out at timeouts.

This is the team of a coach that has no energy on the sideline. Never gets angry with players, officials, general team play. Walks up and down the sideline pressing both hands down as if to be saying, calm down.

He is a flatline coach that is putting a flatline team on the floor. He was probably a good assistant, but this isn't going to get it done as a Head Coach. I am afraid this is Iron Mike all over again.

Comment

• We are middle of the pack AAC and MAYBE NIT quality this year. We just gotta accept reality. I hope the 2 redshirt guys are quality players but we need more help, and please no more 6 foot shooting/combo guards, we need size.

Comment

• It's been several years since I've been consumed with this feeling this time of year, but as I was considering exactly how cold a well-digger's ass in Norway actually is while I was walking out thru the parking lot after the game I realized....man, I can't wait for baseball & softball.

Comment

Working...
                                X