Memphis at Wichita State Game Thread 1-1-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

How do you explain the limited minutes for Ricky, Jenkins, and to a lesser extent Monzy? They offer skillsets this team needs, but struggle with aspects of the game plan and playing within the system.

This team will not reach its potential until they can grow…. For now HCIB is going to limit their playing time which is the very definition of consequences.

Note: if you are at the games you can hear HCIB yelling at the players. He may not shake his wrist watch or stomp, but he isn’t passive either.
    You make good points. Let me add by saying each year is a new team. And this team needs to grow. They normally play good defense but are inconsistent on offense. Then sometimes they play good offense and forget defense. Yesterday everything fell apart. It happens. In my opinion the layoff hurt them and I think they were mentally tired from the East Carolina debacle more than they realize. And playing Memphis didn't help. It's good they get a day off to rest and think about how they must improve. Keep grinding Shocks. The season is not over.

But the biggest issue I see is shooting and making 3 pointers. They miss alot of wide open 3 pointers. Here are the numbers in the four losses.

Arizona. 12 for 39
    K-State 5 for 23
    N.Texas. 6 for 21
    Memphis. 7 for 33

In order for this team to reach its highest potential they all have to start making shots. It's amazing how your team looks when your making shots. And for sure they have to get back to playing the kind of defense they have been playing for most of the year. I am not giving up on them even though there are several posters on this board wanting Coach Brown and the Shocks to fail. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

You make good points. Let me add by saying each year is a new team. And this team needs to grow. They normally play good defense but are inconsistent on offense. Then sometimes they play good offense and forget defense. Yesterday everything fell apart. It happens. In my opinion the layoff hurt them and I think they were mentally tired from the East Carolina debacle more than they realize. And playing Memphis didn't help. It's good they get a day off to rest and think about how they must improve. Keep grinding Shocks. The season is not over.

But the biggest issue I see is shooting and making 3 pointers. They miss alot of wide open 3 pointers. Here are the numbers in the four losses.

Arizona. 12 for 39
      K-State 5 for 23
      N.Texas. 6 for 21
      Memphis. 7 for 33

In order for this team to reach its highest potential they all have to start making shots. It's amazing how your team looks when your making shots. And for sure they have to get back to playing the kind of defense they have been playing for most of the year. I am not giving up on them even though there are several posters on this board wanting Coach Brown and the Shocks to fail. Go Shocks.
      Horse hockey…nobody wants them to fail. Everybody on this board wants them to play well consistently and win. It’s more than about “making shots”…it’s playing tough, disciplined and strong mental basketball and cutting down on turnovers. It’s about dedication and MTXE. It’s about not giving up on a defensive fast break. It’s about many things including making shots. Being “hurt” because of the East Carolina experience? Really? Tough minds shouldn’t be “hurt” by that kind of thing. These are young, healthy, and strong young men….some of the healthiest individuals you’ll ever find. But they aren’t necessarily always playing smart…and we have had multiple incidents over the last few years with mental toughness. Good teams fight through difficult circumstances. This wasn’t just one game…it has happened MULTIPLE times this year. There was only one game this season where the Shocks looked somewhat “amazing”…and that team hadn’t won a game all year. Nobody is “giving up” on them…but we have to be honest in what we see has become a terrible pattern.

Comment

• There's not one poster on this board who want us to fail.

Comment

• Boatright’s failure first was letting the situation get to the point where 3G Was ousted. No skill at all. He could show some real skill by getting him back.

Comment

• Even IB said the team “didn’t come prepared to win”….WHY NOT?
            Last edited by Singeril; January 2, 2022, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
              Boatright’s failure first was letting the situation get to the point where 3G Was ousted. No skill at all. He could show some real skill by getting him back.
              Gregg Marshall will never be the coach of WSU again. Ever. So stop mentioning it every single damn post you make

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
                Event IB said the team “didn’t come prepared to win”….WHY NOT?
                Isn’t that the coach’s job?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
                  Event IB said the team “didn’t come prepared to win”….WHY NOT?
                  Surely he said "I didn't have them prepared to win"........didn't he?

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Tyson isn't the solution either. He does next to nothing to make anyone better. His effort on D has gone down. He forces horrid shots with plenty of time on the shot clock. Last I checked, he wasn't in the top 5 of WSU three point shooting on a team that isn't all that good at three point shooting. Yet he's also taken many more of those shots that anyone

No, Tyson isn't the problem, but he's damn sure a part of it.
                    Does anybody remember what Ron looked like once Fred got hurt? He was money for about a half vs. USC. Once USC realized they only needed to guard Ron it went downhill. Same thing happened in follow-up games. Please keep in mind Ron was a much bigger, longer and stronger two-guard. The best player isn’t going to do much if their teammates fail to punish the other team for overplaying said best player.

Taylor E. did a fabulous job showing how Tyson is trying to help this team. Personally, I would like to see Tyson keep driving like he did yesterday. The three point shooting will come when we got some consistent production from the other guards/wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I would say now, decrease to 8,000 and put some $50-100k a year boxes/suites in.
                      and where would we get the millions of dollars to do that

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                        Boatright’s failure first was letting the situation get to the point where 3G Was ousted.
                        yep, shoulda handled the situation before it became untenable

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Arizona. 12 for 39
                          K-State 5 for 23
                          N.Texas. 6 for 21
                          Memphis. 7 for 33

In order for this team to reach its highest potential they all have to start making shots.
                          Like was saying yesterday, at some point does it go from “can’t make shots” to “can’t shoot”?

Because I’m starting to believe they are well bast that point.
                          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                            I feel like the sunshine pumpers just don’t get it, the shockers basketball team is something special, not just to the students and alumni but to the whole city itself, this program has a long storied history, and to see 15 years of hard work and dedication be wiped away in a mere season is unbearable for a true fan of Wichita state basketball to watch, we don’t have any major league or college football team to root for so when the shockers are winning, we take pride in that. I remember as a kid watching FHCMT taking us to a sweet 16, I felt pride in that, I remember the day FHCGM was hired and the story only being mentioned for a brief amount of time on kake while KU got damn near an 8 min long monologue, it’s not just about a bunch of 20 year olds putting a ball through a hoop, it’s much deeper than that, this team represents Wichita, we deserve better than a jump the gun type of hire, HCIB is a good guy, but this is a big time program and we deserve a big time hire. Finding the replacement for FHCGM was a critical moment and decision, I think Boatright not only failed the school, but the whole city.
                            This is so well said. This program goes beyond just WSU. This is about the city and community.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Gregg Marshall will never be the coach of WSU again. Ever. So stop mentioning it every single damn post you make
                              Stick, Are you Boatright??

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Like was saying yesterday, at some point does it go from “can’t make shots” to “can’t shoot”?

Because I’m starting to believe they are well bast that point.
                                We are a below-average shooting team that can play good defense if we are locked-in and not overmatched athletically. We play backyard ball on offense and can’t finish a fastbreak.

We are what we are at this point. At this junction in the season, playing time should be solely dictated by overall effort level and willingness to pass the ball. If you don’t do either, less playing time. If that means we’re left with walk-ons playing, so be it. Tired of selfish ball. 7 assists yesterday? That’s pathetic.

IB needs to motivate these guys to play hard. I saw a low energy team yesterday. A huge part of being a good coach is getting more with less. We were the less talented team yesterday and we played like it. This team needs to play beyond our base talent level if we want to have any semblance of a decent season.

Comment

Working...
                                X