Memphis at Wichita State Game Thread 1-1-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
    No one on this team fears the film room.
    Agreed. No consequences, that one can see. Maybe he’s handling it somehow…you know, “players coach” style?

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post

Agreed. No consequences, that one can see. Maybe he’s handling it somehow…you know, “players coach” style?
      How do you explain the limited minutes for Ricky, Jenkins, and to a lesser extent Monzy? They offer skillsets this team needs, but struggle with aspects of the game plan and playing within the system.

This team will not reach its potential until they can grow…. For now HCIB is going to limit their playing time which is the very definition of consequences.

Note: if you are at the games you can hear HCIB yelling at the players. He may not shake his wrist watch or stomp, but he isn’t passive either.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

How do you explain the limited minutes for Ricky, Jenkins, and to a lesser extent Monzy? They offer skillsets this team needs, but struggle with aspects of the game plan and playing within the system.

This team will not reach its potential until they can grow…. For now HCIB is going to limit their playing time which is the very definition of consequences.

Note: if you are at the games you can hear HCIB yelling at the players. He may not shake his wrist watch or stomp, but he isn’t passive either.
        Game plan?

Comment

I'm at the games and sit in the section behind the bench up several rows. I haven't heard HCIB yell at the players.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Let me try, although my BBIQ is actually below that of this team.

Council: Still hasn't figured out that not every set is an iso play for him. Doesn't seem to play within the offensive schemes (if there are any), and lets slower. less athletic guys beat him on defense. Seems to lack a quality known as "coachable". Appears to be an incredibly talented player with a really high ceiling, but may turn out to be the opposite of a "diamond in the rough".

Jenkins: He's either "on" or he's "off". Seems to be about 50-50 for which will show up. The best use for Jenkins would be to yank Etienne when he goes brain dead. Then tell him to watch Jenkins and understand that's the downgrade that has to happen if Etienne doesn't play smarter.

Monzy: Getting more minutes now, but how can any player not get minutes when sharing a position with Pleasant? Seems to share a lot of the same problems that Council has. I'm not smart enough to understand all the offensive and defensive sets, but it seems that Council and Monzy are sort of loose cannons on both ends of the court.

Council and Monzy seem to be in playground mode - in their second year of D1 ball. Etienne seems to have regressed into that style of play as well. This team is missing Alterique Gilbert in ways we could never have imagined until we see what we've got now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktheheck View Post
              it seems like ZERO consequences ..............Not even a good a$$ chewing when they do come out...
              Don’t need no ass chewing. Just one of those “Satan looks” with evil eyes, etc. go a long way toward getting your thoughts across.

Comment

How do you explain the numerous dumbass shots and/or turnovers by any starter and they don’t get yanked for a second?

Dumb.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

How do you explain the numerous dumbass shots and/or turnovers by any starter and they don’t get yanked for a second?

Dumb.
                  Of course we are a deep team full of future All-Conference players… I can’t believe coach hasn’t thought of subbing those guys in more often.

Comment

Of course we are a deep team full of future All-Conference players… I can’t believe coach hasn’t thought of subbing those guys in more often.
                    Yep, Etienne has really been a huge asset for the team lately. There’s not a chance a member on the bench could touch his torched stats and decision-making.

Why even have a bench? Or better yet, a coach?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Remember when people wanted CKA expanded to 13k capacity? The state of the program right now shows that idea would’ve been a colossally stupid one.
                      78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                        Remember when people wanted CKA expanded to 13k capacity? The state of the program right now shows that idea would’ve been a colossally stupid one.
                        I would say now, decrease to 8,000 and put some $50-100k a year boxes/suites in. Most of the people in those just shell out the money for sponsorships and a place to hold parties and don’t give two shits about watching the game. Every other seat is between $15-30, no SASO required, except for the best 500 seats or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Yep, Etienne has really been a huge asset for the team lately. There’s not a chance a member on the bench could touch his torched stats and decision-making.

Why even have a bench? Or better yet, a coach?
                          Tyson isn’t the problem. The opposing teams are 100% focused on Tyson because the other players aren’t making them pay (except Ricky during the closing minutes of the OSU game). If you are coaching against the shockers you let anyone, but Tyson try to beat you…. Thus far it has been a really good bet to make.
                          Last edited by proshox; January 1, 2022, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Tyson isn't the solution either. He does next to nothing to make anyone better. His effort on D has gone down. He forces horrid shots with plenty of time on the shot clock. Last I checked, he wasn't in the top 5 of WSU three point shooting on a team that isn't all that good at three point shooting. Yet he's also taken many more of those shots that anyone

No, Tyson isn't the problem, but he's damn sure a part of it.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                              Don’t need no ass chewing. Just one of those “Satan looks” with evil eyes, etc. go a long way toward getting your thoughts across.
                              I would be ok if we just hire Rip from Yellowstone.

Seriously though, imo, as with most any job…it is almost impossible to be the boss/manager/supervisor and best friends with your employees and expect to achieve excellence on performance. Employees know the consequences won’t be very severe, and bosses struggle with difficult conversations.

Outside looking in, that is what I see with this team…although I could be wrong.

Comment

• I feel like the sunshine pumpers just don’t get it, the shockers basketball team is something special, not just to the students and alumni but to the whole city itself, this program has a long storied history, and to see 15 years of hard work and dedication be wiped away in a mere season is unbearable for a true fan of Wichita state basketball to watch, we don’t have any major league or college football team to root for so when the shockers are winning, we take pride in that. I remember as a kid watching FHCMT taking us to a sweet 16, I felt pride in that, I remember the day FHCGM was hired and the story only being mentioned for a brief amount of time on kake while KU got damn near an 8 min long monologue, it’s not just about a bunch of 20 year olds putting a ball through a hoop, it’s much deeper than that, this team represents Wichita, we deserve better than a jump the gun type of hire, HCIB is a good guy, but this is a big time program and we deserve a big time hire. Finding the replacement for FHCGM was a critical moment and decision, I think Boatright not only failed the school, but the whole city.
                                Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

Working...
                                X