Boatright Report Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
    Muma and Boatwright are starting to give me images of Armstrong and Perklins and how those two guys pretty much blew up WSU athletics by one of them not caring and the other being incompetent.
    Give Muma a little break. He was named permanent President a whole seven months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Give Muma a little break. He was named permanent President a whole seven months ago.
      I thought that was a hire of convenience rather than a search for the best available candidate. Sort of like how DB and IB got their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

I thought that was a hire of convenience rather than a search for the best available candidate. Sort of like how DB and IB got their jobs.
        The best available candidate according to those hiring the last time around was Golden. Sometimes promotions work, sometimes they don’t. Muma hasn’t ran off foundation donors, has building and growth on schedule and actually had a slight increase in enrollment this past Fall during a pandemic. We needed someone that could bring the actual donors to the university at large back to the table.

Now if the AD continues to lose money and/or boosters over the next few months and he does nothing, then gripe away.

Comment

No. How about we just compare his first 7 months (not forgetting he had a huge running start) to Don Beggs and John Bardo's first 7 months. No stated vision, no academic-athletic cohesion or understanding of how WSU athletics are "the front porch" of the university, no stated intent to get venue improvement (starting with Wilkins!) on a front burner. Nothing. Crickets. Terrible.

Comment

False….we are the healthiest state school in terms of enrollment numbers and new research dollars. Some schools are really declining, including K-State. NIAR and WSU Tech effects will be beneficial for a long time.
            Parts of the university are doing (very) well, I agree.

I feel there will be deeper philosophical and cultural battles that will come to fruition in the future though.

Hope I am wrong, but the vibe just feels different since Bardo left this world too early.
            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              1. Last year's success was a curse in disguise. Boatright couldn't not hire IB, especially given all the talk last year about black assistant coaches not getting opportunities for HC jobs.

2. I don't see Muma having the courage to fire DB.

3. The spiral will continue until we can afford to let IB go, and have new, competent leadership.

I was solidly in IB's camp. But this season has exposed so many issues I don't see any hope of righting the ship.
              All very good and valid observations.

1. Totally agree.

2. It would surprise me if he did.

3. I am not ready to totally write-off HCIB at this point and even if I were WSU can't afford to buy him out during his first 3 years. I think it is possible that HCIB could get this moving in the right direction. However, I am not willing to place any bets that will happen. Perhaps last year's success and this year's early success have HCIB convinced he has the correct formula. After all HCIB is 23-10 (excluding the 2 D-2 wins last year). for a 69.7% winning percentage. However, in the last 11 games including the final 2 games of last year and excluding this year's SWAC, MEAC and D-2 Transitioning Team games the Shockers are 5-6. In those 5 wins against Jacksonville State, South Alabama, UNLV, Missouri and Oklahoma the Shocks averaged just 63.8 PPG with an average winning margin of 5 points. In the 6 losses they averaged 60.7 PPG with an average losing margin of 8.7 PPG. The most recent 3 losses to K-State, North Texas and Memphis have been by an average margin of 14.7 PPG. Win or lose, the Shocks don't score a lot of points. Unless that changes the current trend is likely to continue. If your scoring 61 to 64 PPG then every game is pretty much up for grabs. The margin for error is not very good.

Comment

HCIB's contract has been talked about in other threads, so instead of posting the following there, I thought I'd post the following here since those other threads will probably get ignored as time goes along. The basis of the information comes from this post - https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...48#post1289948 - unfortunately the link to the open records request no longer works:

Total contract amount - $6,000,000 (paid over 5 years)
                Time periods - contract starts on May 1, 2021, and runs through April 30, 2026

The following is based on the information above (we're currently in year 1 of the contract) and could change if a new contract is signed:
                Year Annual Salary Buyout Amount
                1 $1,000,000 Total Contract Amount - Total Salary Paid
                2 $1,000,000 Total Contract Amount - Total Salary Paid
                3 $1,250,000 Total Contract Amount - Total Salary Paid
                4 $1,250,000 (Total Contract Amount - Total Salary Paid) / 2
                5 $1,500,000 (Total Contract Amount - Total Salary Paid) / 2

The Total Contract Amount above will always be $6,000,000. For the first three years, the buyout will be whatever hasn't been paid of that amount. For example, if the buyout happens after the first year ends, the buyout would be $5,000,000 ($6,000,000 - $1,000,000) . In years 4 and 5, the buyout amount is half of what hasn't been paid.

FYI - compensation is reduced if he takes another job. The contract also states HCIB can only terminate the contract in years 4-5 in order to take a job elsewhere. If he quits in year 4, he owes half of his remaining pay, and if he quits in year 5, he owes 25% of his remaining pay.
                Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; January 1, 2022, 08:18 PM. Reason: Edited the part in the last paragraph regarding years 4 and 5.
                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

If Brown is successful, Boatright is safe, if not, not

Comment

IB isn't allowed to quit?
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Not the first three years. The open records request with the full contract doesn't work anymore, but here's a link to the Wichita Eagle article about it - https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...252970358.html - here are some parts of it:

The contract also stipulates that Brown is unable to break his contract and leave for another job before the 2023-24 season, keeping him at WSU for at least the first three years of his contract. If he leaves for another job between May 1, 2024 and April 30, 2025, he would have to pay back half of his remaining salary ($1.375 million). If he leaves between May 1, 2025 and April 30, 2026, then Brown would have to pay 25% of his remaining salary ($375,000).
                      If WSU terminates Brown without cause in the first three years of his contract — or before May 1, 2024 — the university would owe Brown the amount equal to the remaining balance on Brown’s contract.

WSU could buy Brown out of his contract in the fourth or fifth year by paying half of his remaining salary.

The following is incentive compensation for Brown:
                      20-plus regular-season wins ($20,000)
                      AAC regular season championship ($25,000)
                      AAC tournament championship ($20,000)
                      AAC Coach of the Year ($25,000)
                      National Coach of the Year ($50,000)
                      Multi-year APR of 950-plus or team GPA of 3.00-plus ($15,000)
                      NCAA Tournament appearance ($25,000)
                      NCAA Round of 32 win ($20,000)
                      NCAA Elite Eight win ($20,000)
                      NCAA Final Four win ($50,000)
                      NCAA national championship ($100,000)
                      NIT Final Four win ($15,000)

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Not the first three years. The open records request with the full contract doesn't work anymore, but here's a link to the Wichita Eagle article about it - https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...252970358.html - here are some parts of it:

I'm sure he can resign. Just cant take a job elsewhere

Comment

I think we should fire Boatwrong and promote IB to AD. Then IB could hire back HCGM and we could save the rest of the money we are paying out for forcing him to leave.
                          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            I'm sure if he wanted to step down, due to poor performance, WSU would make the modifications to allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm sure he can resign. Just cant take a job elsewhere
                              After going back and reading the Wichita Eagle article, I think you're right.

Comment

So theoretically, he could resign (to save face) with the understanding that he could return as an assistant? (With much lower pay, but at least a job). This way, I guess, he can continue to coach…otherwise, his value is about that of someone such as Steve Eck?

Comment

Working...
                                X