No announcement yet.

Boatright Report Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F- and echo everything WeWill mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

That is where I am. I think it was hard to not let him have another year or two. Six? Idk.

Also give him some credit for Wedge hire, but wonder how much Brent had to do with that.

Speaking of which, I would guess Brent just isn't interested in being AD, but boy he seems like a much more gregarious option at a position that needs a little cache.

DB just seems... flat. And I think we have the look of a flat athletic department right now, too.
      One or two is impossible to recruit with. I would say 4 yr/$600k with some incentives and he still would have been our coach and a buyout wouldn’t break the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post
        I don’t know enough about what he does to judge his job effectiveness but I don’t like him. He seems arrogant and is not friendly at all. I tried to talk with him in Hawaii and was pretty much ignored. I’m not a huge money booster but have done my share. Don’t care if he continues as AD.
        You may be right about arrogant but definitely preoccupied with something more important than who he is talking to.

Comment

D+ is generous.

Comment

I don’t know enough about what he does to judge his job effectiveness but I don’t like him. He seems arrogant and is not friendly at all. I tried to talk with him in Hawaii and was pretty much ignored. I’m not a huge money booster but have done my share. Don’t care if he continues as AD.
            That was one of the differences between Schaus (and even Sexton). They were willing to talk to the average fan and even made you feel they appreciated you.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

That was one of the differences between Schaus (and even Sexton). They were willing to talk to the average fan and even made you feel they appreciated you.
              Yes. We were in the Hard Rock in St Louis before the tournament started. ES came over and thanked us for supporting the team. Seemed like a good guy. He was definitely a Shocker unlike Boatdick.

Comment

Yeah there's zero discussion about whether or not ES was a good guy....GREAT guy. Amazing actually. Not sure AD was his calling, but he wasn't terrible at it and he certainly had WSU's best interest at all times, and yes, he made you feel very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Where are all the Boatright lovers now? Did they evaporate into thin air or feasting on a buttload of crow sandwiches?
                  Obviously, there is one Boatright lover.....Gregg (7.75M) Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by wichita View Post

Obviously, there is one Boatright lover.....Gregg (7.75M) Marshall.
                    He has his lawyer to thank more for that than Boatwrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

He has his lawyer to thank more for that than Boatwrong.
                      ...and cancel culture.

Seriously...imagine a player (one of my favorite players btw) calling out a Top coach to get him ousted. That never happens at any other school threatening to win a National Championship.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Yeah there's zero discussion about whether or not ES was a good guy....GREAT guy. Amazing actually. Not sure AD was his calling, but he wasn't terrible at it and he certainly had WSU's best interest at all times, and yes, he made you feel very much appreciated.
                        Eric was and still is a true Shocker. Eric is also a fine person. He learned how to treat people from his father, Linwood, who also was a great Shocker, and they treated everyone with respect and kindness. Could that be a fault? Maybe (I don’t think so but some do), but it is who they were.

Comment

I'm sure each and everyone of us has expectations as to just what the heck we want out of our AD. He is the public face of our Athletics. So as much as I respect Lax I believe there are other ways to judge/grade our AD. I don't think you can compare him to the two previous AD's without trying to draw comparisons to the ones before them which some of us remember as being horrible as in Gary Hunter. The biggest interaction I have had with any AD has been with DB. As I have said before he was the AAD at the time when my late wife was invited to a closed scrimmage by then HCGM. DB met us in the parking lot with a wheel chair and pushed her through the concourse to the practice facility and stayed with us the entire time she was there and then took her back to our car. In the years since whenever I have seen him at any venue he always waves and smiles. So where others see him as aloof or distant it is the opposite of what my late wife and I experienced. And as most of you know I am not a big money guy for WSU Athletics just one of the thousands of little guys helping out. I look at the totality of each program and look at the academic success as well as how competitive we are within not only the conference but beyond as well.
                          Conference-AAC was a step up from the MVC and even with the departure of three in the future still looks like more than a modest step up from the MVC. Have two conference championships since joining.
                          Academics-As far as we know the various sports continue to do well and graduate their players as we all would hope. The new Student Athlete Academic Center is in place and looks to be a nice addition for their success albeit an ugly building in my eyes.
                          Basketball-The last loss to NT was and is a tough one for me and that is on the coaching staff and players. Was it an outlier or of what is to come? I remember a ranked team with Matt B that went free fall mode and I remember other teams that found their way at the end so my hope it is the latter. The coaching staff is comprised of FHCGM hires with the HCIB bing moved into/hired by ADDB.
                          Volleyball-Lots of doom and gloom to start the season but finished above expectations.
                          Softball-Outstanding year last year and will have to wait to see how they will do this year.
                          Women's Basketball-Been pretty bad for several years but has done well starting off this year.
                          T/F-Coach Rainbolt and his staff continue to do a great job with the restrictive scholarships allowed for CC and T/F Nice new facility and locker rooms.
                          Tennis-Both Men's and women's programs have nice athletes and have competed well over the last several years
                          Golf-It is what it is. Some individual success but as a team not so much
                          Baseball-After many years of mediocrity it looks like we are turning the corner to being relevant on a national scale once again. The final? addition to Eck Stadium is completed and I'm still waiting for my promised tour from the good Doctor.
                          Fund Raising-I would assume that during and since the pandemic that money has been very tight for the University as well as for the Athletic department. Have seen a reduction of staffing at the Athletic Department but no total cuts of programs that we have witnessed across the nation and no announced cuts in salaries across the board like at Tulsa. Of course I am not privy to strategies for fund raising in the future.
                          We haven't had a mass exodus of players and or coaches which I think is relevant nor allegations of wrong doing either by or against student athletes.
                          Are things all good? Are all things at the levels we want? Do they meet or rise to our expectations? I would hazard to answer no. Will they ever? Again probably no. How many Athletic Departments in the US have a satisfied fan base and have no problems where their programs are right now? Probably very few. I would hope that the current AD is aware of the problems and is using resources to solve those problems. Being able to survive the last two years that WSU has gone through should account for something but it shouldn't be a free pass either. My grade based on the above would be a C+

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            I'm sure each and everyone of us has expectations as to just what the heck we want out of our AD. He is the public face of our Athletics. So as much as I respect Lax I believe there are other ways to judge/grade our AD. I don't think you can compare him to the two previous AD's without trying to draw comparisons to the ones before them which some of us remember as being horrible as in Gary Hunter. The biggest interaction I have had with any AD has been with DB. As I have said before he was the AAD at the time when my late wife was invited to a closed scrimmage by then HCGM. DB met us in the parking lot with a wheel chair and pushed her through the concourse to the practice facility and stayed with us the entire time she was there and then took her back to our car. In the years since whenever I have seen him at any venue he always waves and smiles. So where others see him as aloof or distant it is the opposite of what my late wife and I experienced. And as most of you know I am not a big money guy for WSU Athletics just one of the thousands of little guys helping out. I look at the totality of each program and look at the academic success as well as how competitive we are within not only the conference but beyond as well.
                            Conference-AAC was a step up from the MVC and even with the departure of three in the future still looks like more than a modest step up from the MVC. Have two conference championships since joining.
                            Academics-As far as we know the various sports continue to do well and graduate their players as we all would hope. The new Student Athlete Academic Center is in place and looks to be a nice addition for their success albeit an ugly building in my eyes.
                            Basketball-The last loss to NT was and is a tough one for me and that is on the coaching staff and players. Was it an outlier or of what is to come? I remember a ranked team with Matt B that went free fall mode and I remember other teams that found their way at the end so my hope it is the latter. The coaching staff is comprised of FHCGM hires with the HCIB bing moved into/hired by ADDB.
                            Volleyball-Lots of doom and gloom to start the season but finished above expectations.
                            Softball-Outstanding year last year and will have to wait to see how they will do this year.
                            Women's Basketball-Been pretty bad for several years but has done well starting off this year.
                            T/F-Coach Rainbolt and his staff continue to do a great job with the restrictive scholarships allowed for CC and T/F Nice new facility and locker rooms.
                            Tennis-Both Men's and women's programs have nice athletes and have competed well over the last several years
                            Golf-It is what it is. Some individual success but as a team not so much
                            Baseball-After many years of mediocrity it looks like we are turning the corner to being relevant on a national scale once again. The final? addition to Eck Stadium is completed and I'm still waiting for my promised tour from the good Doctor.
                            Fund Raising-I would assume that during and since the pandemic that money has been very tight for the University as well as for the Athletic department. Have seen a reduction of staffing at the Athletic Department but no total cuts of programs that we have witnessed across the nation and no announced cuts in salaries across the board like at Tulsa. Of course I am not privy to strategies for fund raising in the future.
                            We haven't had a mass exodus of players and or coaches which I think is relevant nor allegations of wrong doing either by or against student athletes.
                            Are things all good? Are all things at the levels we want? Do they meet or rise to our expectations? I would hazard to answer no. Will they ever? Again probably no. How many Athletic Departments in the US have a satisfied fan base and have no problems where their programs are right now? Probably very few. I would hope that the current AD is aware of the problems and is using resources to solve those problems. Being able to survive the last two years that WSU has gone through should account for something but it shouldn't be a free pass either. My grade based on the above would be a C+

Good and thoughtful post. That’s why this is called a discussion board.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              Slight correction. The Shockers have 5 conference championships since joining the AAC:
                              2017 - Volleyball
                              2018 - Women's Cross Country
                              2019 - Women's Outdoor Track & Field
                              2020-21 - Men's Basketball
                              2021 - Softball

This tells you a lot about how much of step up the AAC has been from the MVC. The Shockers would commonly win 5 or more championships in a single year in the Valley.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 21, 2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

This is the vibe I've gotten from him and what i've heard from most people that have interacted with him. Just seems like a miserable human being.

Comment

Working...
                                X