No announcement yet.

Boatright Report Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not find Jim Schaus to be particularly engaging either but he was a great AD. I understand that these guys only have so many hours in a day and really didn't expect him to pay much attention to one as insignificant as myself. Anytime he would spend with me probably was not a great use of his time. Although a wink and a nod in passing would not be too much to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I did not find Jim Schaus to be particularly engaging either but he was a great AD. I understand that these guys only have so many hours in a day and really didn't expect him to pay much attention to one as insignificant as myself. Anytime he would spend with me probably was not a great use of his time. Although a wink and a nod in passing would not be too much to ask.
      Always greet people warmly; not all millionaires wear Rolexes.

Comment

Schaus is the only AD I've ever spoken to, ever so briefly, and it was initiated by him. He definitely knew how to interact with others and I was just a young 20something at the time. As far as I'm concerned, he's the gold standard for ADs here. DB is nowhere near his level.

With all of that said, I don't really care if I talk to an AD or not as I have nothing to offer them in any regards and I'm not one who is going to enjoy just talking BS with a person I don't actually know.

Only other athletic department personnel I've talk to are 3G, Jans, Boyle and Okon. Mostly due to the fact that I used to officiate the elite camp that was put on at WSU over the summers. Though Boyle I talked to a couple of times as his son played basketball through the YMCA, which I also used to officiate. I don't count Randy Smithson as I knew him and talked to him long before he coached at WSU and was friends with a few of his kids.

But I'm definitely in favor of a new AD.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Failed at the most crucial test of his diplomacy.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I'm not one who is going to enjoy just talking BS with a person I don't actually know.
            You mean "in person", right?

Comment

in my mind schaus will likely always hold the gold standard. i believe i was 25 or 26 at the regional at norman when schaus walked up to my small group, thanked us for traveling and wanted to know why the shockers were so important to us. he was genuine and spent the time to listen and ask more questions. a class act through and through. always thought that he was destined to be a power five athletic director but showed his true colors when he left for athens to be closer to his pops.

always enjoyed shocker talk with e.s... saw him and kathy a while back and was met with a smile and a handshake. good people. we have to remember that he was asked to fill in the role and did it likely as a favor to the university he loves. did the gene thing go awry... absolutely. i could tell some stories that have a tighter lid than the shaq saga.

we're all a little different in our own way. i suspect that the schmoozing of the donors isn't d.b's thing. i'm still pissed about the 3g deal, and im confident that if i knew there was an "incident" that everyone in the admin area of the athletic department had an opportunity to know as well. i'm assuming that the large settlement was warranted to keep it away from arbitration / trial as the athletic department likely had plenty of blood on the rug. pay out pretty much the full contract as a settlement and agree that it all remains confidential. speaking of settlement.. the university had to go the safe (inexpensive) route in mbb. there were plenty of bigger money coaches that were interested in the gig.. some discussed on here, some weren't mentioned... wichita state had to save the money. with that said, i believe that i.b. deserves time to work into the role and grow as a coach. wichita state knew that he was raw when the gig was offered and if we didn't see it as fans, we're blind a.f. i'm quite pleased with the defense, but the offense needs discipline... i had the opportunity to recap the game with film with a friend that officiates d3 and naia college basketball and his comments mirrored mine in that you can't:

1) dribble the damn ball for 20 seconds and wonder why some off-balance prayer is jacked at the shot clock buzzer that $hits more iron than a steel mill.
              2) go the wrong way off of a ball screen
              3) dribble into a triple team and wonder why there is no foul called

on another note, i love the hire in wedgie and i believe that he has as good of a chance as gene did at getting wichita state back to the top.. i feel that odds favor this is wedge's last coaching stop and he has the same love for wichita state that schaus, and sexton do. hopefully we'll taste some success to keep him interested and hungry. in baseball, there is no reason that wichita isn't competing into the second weekend and hosting tournament games. omaha has the chance to be within reach soon with a little luck.

Comment

I hate when my keyboard is broken.

Comment

Pretty much agreed. But I think everyone knew IB was raw, including fans, and that's what was worrisome from the start. That and he's making 1.5M as a raw and basically unproven coach. I think most of us knew we weren't going to turn around and spend 3M right away, but you may be able to get someone with a track record as the head man and shows promise and start him at 1.5M and maybe a little less.

Can't do anything about that now but hope IB figures **** out
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Yeah there's zero discussion about whether or not ES was a good guy....GREAT guy. Amazing actually. Not sure AD was his calling, but he wasn't terrible at it and he certainly had WSU's best interest at all times, and yes, he made you feel very much appreciated.
                    You gave me tickets one time. ES was standing on the landing a few rows down before the game. He looked over at us, made eye contact, smiled, exchanged pleasantries, and went about his business. Small thing, but being nice goes a long ways when you aren’t good at your job.

I hear IB is nice.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      I hate when my keyboard is broken.
                      That finicky shift key!!
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                        You gave me tickets one time. ES was standing on the landing a few rows down before the game. He looked over at us, made eye contact, smiled, exchanged pleasantries, and went about his business. Small thing, but being nice goes a long ways when you aren’t good at your job.

I hear IB is nice.
                        Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

I hear IB is nice.
                          It truly is the little things, but let’s not forget that ES was the fund raiser, it was he who gathered the high donors to keep HCGM from jumping to Alabama.

Oh, and PLEASE post more videos! You are my escape to the north woods stress relief!

Thank goodness there is one thing we can all agree on…

Go Shocks!
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Thought I would save Fever the trouble of bumping this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              Thought I would save Fever the trouble of bumping this thread.
                              Expel the moron. NOW. While there is still a chance to save it.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

WSU will probably have to fire boatright before WSU can get a new basketball coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X