Grade these categories:

Hiring and Firing

Management of the Department

Integrity and Accountability

Strategic Vision

Fund raising/booster relations

Two things:

Rationalize whatever grade you give.

Because of CoVid, grade on a curve against his peers at other schools, understanding that may hard to do.

This is only about 20% about our current basketball team and coach and 80% about all of the other things that are piling up in my head.

Entertain us with your thoughts.

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Grade these categories:

Hiring and Firing

Management of the Department

Integrity and Accountability

Strategic Vision

Fund raising/booster relations

Two things:

Rationalize whatever grade you give.

Because of CoVid, grade on a curve against his peers at other schools, understanding that may hard to do.

This is only about 20% about our current basketball team and coach and 80% about all of the other things that are piling up in my head.

Entertain us with your thoughts.

I need some facts o all of the above. I have off-the-top thoughts, but I'd like more. I realize basketball is #1,2 and 3. And Baseball is #3,4,5, but I do care about the success of the other program.

I would also like to know what DB is paid vs other similar athletic budgets and I would guess it is a lot less. That isn't necessarily a good thing.

Comment

Hiring and Firing:

Took credit for firing Gene and blamed ES for hiring Butler. Huh? Hired Wedgie.

He hired Keith’s Adams, 5 years, added 2 in 2019. No further extensions. Contract through 2024

Fired Jody Adams.

Hired Judd Easterling.

Hired IB through 2026.

ES hired Bredbenner

Boatright makes $207k a year base salary. Not sure about bonuses.
      Last edited by shoxlax; December 19, 2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Without elaborating on every single aspect, I'd say D+. But I'll do my best to speak on the things I know.

*I lack reading comprehension. H/t shoxlax.*

Marshall/IB situation was not handled well. From the initial incidents to the hiring of IB.

Also was a part of the transition to the American, which was a big deal. But if it wasn't for Marshall and the basketball program, we are still in the Missouri Valley.

But ultimately this athletic department cannot afford to have a D+ Athletic Director as they are hemorrhaging funds as it is and dealing with conference realignment and NIL is problem enough. If my supervisor were to rate me as doing a C- job, I would be submitting resumes as we speak.
        Last edited by Kel Varnsen; December 19, 2021, 07:31 PM.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

ES hired Bredbenner.

Comment

ES hired Bredbenner.
            I’m a moron.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I’ll elaborate more later but Q-
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Here’s some real under the radar turds:

Keitha Adams making $352k when she was coming off of a 8-23 season at UTEP and apparently getting a contract extension after her first year.

The complete and utter disregard for our basketball strength and conditioning facilities and equipment. In the basement of our arena? Fred exposed this when he was here but it’s been a problem for the last few years.

A definitive and clear plan on what to do with Cessna Stadium. I understand Golden wanted to tear it down, but how about what’s next and some drawings to get people excited? Not getting football, so let’s plan on a 12-15k multiuse stadium that will create revenue and start a fund raising campaign.

Butler was a disaster and even if Gene had to go, there were 100 better choices.

Wedgie looks like a good hire and the Track Facility/Student Athlete Success Center is nice, but wasn’t that planned when ES was the AD? I can’t remember.

Jury is still out on IB and I can defend the act for a number of reasons but it is hard to defend the amount and duration.

The FHCGM mess was not handled well dating back to 2016 and some of that is on ES, who is a convenient scapegoat. If it had been, he would still be our coach and would probably be reigned back enough to still be highly effective. Yet, somehow Boatright survived that train fire. As a result, multiple boosters and potential money sources have become disgusted with the program.

The move to the AAC was driven by Bardo and Marshall, Boatright assisted.

Student Athletes are doing well in classroom for most part and stay out of trouble. That is good, but is expected as a bare minimum, isn’t it?

Lambo probably is overpaid, but still for what he has done, unless we completely fall apart, like 5-23 a couple of seasons in a row, he should stay as long as he wants.

Thoughts still percolating, but right now, a D+.
                Last edited by shoxlax; December 20, 2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  Without elaborating on every single aspect, I'd say D+. But I'll do my best to speak on the things I know.

*I lack reading comprehension. H/t shoxlax.*

Marshall/IB situation was not handled well. From the initial incidents to the hiring of IB.

Also was a part of the transition to the American, which was a big deal. But if it wasn't for Marshall and the basketball program, we are still in the Missouri Valley.

But ultimately this athletic department cannot afford to have a D+ Athletic Director as they are hemorrhaging funds as it is and dealing with conference realignment and NIL is problem enough. If my supervisor were to rate me as doing a C- job, I would be submitting resumes as we speak.
                  We have a lot of the same thoughts.

Comment

I reserve the right to reassess in June.

Comment

Jury is still out on IB and I can defend the act for a number of reasons but it is hard to defend the amount and duration.
                      That is where I am. I think it was hard to not let him have another year or two. Six? Idk.

Also give him some credit for Wedge hire, but wonder how much Brent had to do with that.

Speaking of which, I would guess Brent just isn't interested in being AD, but boy he seems like a much more gregarious option at a position that needs a little cache.

DB just seems... flat. And I think we have the look of a flat athletic department right now, too.

Comment

Brent is PERFECT right where he is. And I mean PERFECT. He's doing what he loves, and he's freaking amazing at it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

That is where I am. I think it was hard to not let him have another year or two. Six? Idk.

Also give him some credit for Wedge hire, but wonder how much Brent had to do with that.

Speaking of which, I would guess Brent just isn't interested in being AD, but boy he seems like a much more gregarious option at a position that needs a little cache.

DB just seems... flat. And I think we have the look of a flat athletic department right now, too.
                          I guess there's more to AD than what BK wants to handle (could?), such as CC issues, total budget management, facilities management, hiring a student assistant for long jump, etc. I don't know what all it entails, but I know it is much more than basketball/baseball issues, which is what I focus on.

Comment

Where are all the Boatright lovers now? Did they evaporate into thin air or feasting on a buttload of crow sandwiches?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I don’t know enough about what he does to judge his job effectiveness but I don’t like him. He seems arrogant and is not friendly at all. I tried to talk with him in Hawaii and was pretty much ignored. I’m not a huge money booster but have done my share. Don’t care if he continues as AD.

Comment

Working...
                              X