X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ewing Theory
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Is it just me or do a lot of posts this year sound like "this would be so much better if Marshall was still the coach"?

I was going to compare that to whether I would be a better physical specimen if I was still 25. Problem with that is that it's obvious that I was physically better at 25 than now, but there's no way to compare what IB is doing with this team to what GM would have done with this team.

Some posters need to get over their butthurt that Marshall is gone. He's gone. He's not coming back. Comparing him to his replacement is a no-win situation for the new coach and for those making the comparison.

Comment

• You just can’t make a criticism about anything for some people. It’s rainbows and unicorns all of the time and you’re a “hater” if you don’t agree.

Sad.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Way too many turnovers but that’s just classic Tarleton basketball for ya! Seriously. I can’t remember if it was Shane, Mike, Dave…someone mentioned that they would have been top 3 in the NCAA in steals last year but they weren’t eligible due to their transitionary status. It goes for the whole team but in particular Ricky, Dexter and Mo need to remember stay under control and don’t over dribble.
          • The rebounding was peak 2020-2021 rebounding in that it wasn’t good at all and we just weren’t checking out consistently. I love what Monzy brings to the table in almost every other area but my guy is allergic to boxing out. Same with Council.
          • We have more “almost steals” than any team in history. Like three consecutive events will occur that should result in a turnover and easy layup for us but instead the other team ends up with a wide open three or layup.
          • We shot the three ball better and won by double digits. Shocking.
          • Dribble drive defense was better but those guys didn’t employ the new fangled spin move that had us so flummoxed last game.
          • Good game but they still have a ton of room for growth and improvement. Although they’ve already been marked as guaranteed losses on the official ledger, I’m still excited to see how things go in Vegas this weekend. The inevitable “I told you so’s” will be glorious I'm sure.

Comment

• Didn't see the game tonight, but I'm struggling with the "roll the balls out" and "run & gun" comments. Per Kenpom, our adjusted Tempo ranks 277. That's in the bottom 23% of D1. Maybe we should play a little faster???

Comment

• A win is a win and in February, they all look good.
              This looks like a team still finding its way, especially without its leader not able to contribute.
              The PG's are learning how to play and handle D1 level ball. There will be bumps along the way.
              We have two transfers who definitely are on learning curve when it some to adjusting to the next level.
              Not a good match up tonight for KP, but I am still buying every available stock option. Dude just has THAT look.
              I had been told that Jenkins was uber athletic - he can certainly cover floor space in a millisecond. Need to see more of him, especially when they play more athletic teams.
              Tarleton was well coached - if they had anyone who could consistently make a shot, this game could have had a much different outcome.
              Will have a better idea about this team come this weekend - will be in person to watch it unfold.

That is all.
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
                A win is a win and in February, they all look good.
                This looks like a team still finding its way, especially without its leader not able to contribute.
                The PG's are learning how to play and handle D1 level ball. There will be bumps along the way.
                We have two transfers who definitely are on learning curve when it some to adjusting to the next level.
                Not a good match up tonight for KP, but I am still buying every available stock option. Dude just has THAT look.
                I had been told that Jenkins was uber athletic - he can certainly cover floor space in a millisecond. Need to see more of him, especially when they play more athletic teams.
                Tarleton was well coached - if they had anyone who could consistently make a shot, this game could have had a much different outcome.
                Will have a better idea about this team come this weekend - will be in person to watch it unfold.

That is all.
                Thanks. That was good. If I could add something is that I like the play of Joe Pleasant. He plays the same kind of role Evan Wessel played at the 4 position for the Shocks. He is not splashy but runs the offense and generally doesn't turn it over.. He plays on defense where he is suppose to be.. He can hit the spot up 3 pointer too.. He and MJ gives us good minutes at the 4 position. Each brings something different to the floor but it is all good..

Really like Chauncey Jenkins. Been high on him since I watched his high-school videos. He showed good court awareness tonight. Which is something we need. I really think he is going to be special in time.. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

Nothing to do with liking IB (I do) or not. And, indeed, we were fortunate to not have to play all those games. I don’t think we would have been conference champs. And, the post season told us a lot as well.
                  The end of the season told us Tyson was nursing an injury somewhere in his shooting arm / shoulder. They were working on it throughout the conference tournament.

Comment

• Coach Brown is doing a good job and is upping our recruiting. I don’t understand the negativity. We are 3 and 0. Can’t do better than that. Looking forward to watching the team in Vegas. Should be fun being there with Shocker Nation.

Comment

• There was a stretch in the game where we had the following lineup: Qua, Ricky, Jenkins, Jackson and Pohto. Think about it. That’s technically, 3 freshmen, a sophomore and a senior. This group held their own despite being so young. We have a lot of talent in the lower classes and we have to remember that they’re still learning how to play together and learn their roles.

Comment

• Stupid turnovers caused by out of control movement. Stupid 3s being shot by the wrong people at key moments. These things will happen at least 3 to 5 times even in good games. Too many tonight.

Mo is not a fluid player inside. He has to always gather himself and Tarl's quick, smaller players attacked like pirahna's (reminds me of past Shocker teams). No more 3s.

Shooting seemed better, Dex made a few when we needed them.

Loved the lineup that had Qua, Jenkins, monzy, RC4 and Pohto. I think that lineup went on a 10-0 run. They played with energy and desire.

More Monzy, please.
                        RC4 is a stud, but just do the deed and make sure they don't return the favor.

Looking forward to Friday. Extended pre-game.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          There was a stretch in the game where we had the following lineup: Qua, Ricky, Jenkins, Jackson and Pohto. Think about it. That’s technically, 3 freshmen, a sophomore and a senior. This group held their own despite being so young. We have a lot of talent in the lower classes and we have to remember that they’re still learning how to play together and learn their roles.
                          That is VERY true......young LEARNING talent....

Comment

• It's one thing to critique...it's another if ALL you do is find fault...there is a happy medium out there....

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                              It's one thing to critique...it's another if ALL you do is find fault...there is a happy medium out there....
                              Not seen anyone do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                                Is it just me or do a lot of posts this year sound like "this would be so much better if Marshall was still the coach"?

I was going to compare that to whether I would be a better physical specimen if I was still 25. Problem with that is that it's obvious that I was physically better at 25 than now, but there's no way to compare what IB is doing with this team to what GM would have done with this team.

Some posters need to get over their butthurt that Marshall is gone. He's gone. He's not coming back. Comparing him to his replacement is a no-win situation for the new coach and for those making the comparison.
                                To answer your question, It's just you.

Comment

Working...
                                X