Masking, vaccination, and social distancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

While stupid, needless and unscientific, I couldn't care less about masks at the games. I'll choose to go or I won't, it's my choice.

When they tell people they can't work, support their families, if they don't take the jab, that's simply wrong. And it's completely indefensible, no matter what you or anyone else thinks or says.
    It’s part of living in a society with other people. Sometimes we have to do things we don’t want to.

It’s still a choice. There are other employers who don’t require a Covid vaccination. If you're willing to lose your job over your principled stance against vaccines then that’s your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

It’s part of living in a society with other people. Sometimes we have to do things we don’t want to.

It’s still a choice. There are other employers who don’t require a Covid vaccination. If you're willing to lose your job over your principled stance against vaccines then that’s your choice.
      it is a choice, there are other ways to spend one's money

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Question. Is fake outrage not really outrage at all? I think people may be getting fed up with fake solutions however (unless you really believe masks (of all types) actually make you safe in an filled 10,000 seat arena). Add to that that fully vaxxed people can carry COVID and give COVID to another vaxxed person. If you are, or could easily be, a health compromised person, you should probably not be going to a filled arena anyway. Many of the post are simply humorous, but are probably true.
        If one has followed Shockernet at all in the last two years it is clear that the angry posts regarding unannounced Koch Arena policies are real.

Maybe premature outrage would have been a more accurate description.

And there is no doubt in my mind 100% masking in the arena would make it a more safe environment. Do I want that? No. Am I willing to do that to go see a bball game? Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

it is a choice, there are other ways to spend one's money
          So do it. Quit threatening to spend your almighty dollars elsewhere and do it.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

So do it. Quit threatening to spend your almighty dollars elsewhere and do it.
            Being told what to do is part of the point, isn't it?

Comment

Nm

Comment

Being told what to do is part of the point, isn't it?
                Yeah. You’ve never been told what to do your entire life and by god you shouldn’t have to start now.

Seriously, call the athletic department today and demand a refund. If they say no tell them you’re going to take them to small claims court. If they still won’t issue a refund then actually file a claim.

It looks like claims up to $4,000 require only a 67.50 processing fee. Surely that is worth it to show WSU that you won’t be pushed around.

Comment

you seem upset

Comment

you seem upset
                    I’m just trying to help out a poor, downtrodden soul who is being oppressed by the man.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      And there is no doubt in my mind 100% masking in the arena would make it a more safe environment. Do I want that? No. Am I willing to do that to go see a bball game? Absolutely.
                      Interesting statement. I wore masks, probably not they way they should be worn (not because I didn't try because Fauci said they would work), but I followed the rules, and still caught Covid. Did they make me safer? Not if one looks at results. It seems like mask wearing is all for show, not Science. I still know people who won't go out into the public because they are scared. Scientific you may say? It seems like a poor quality of life issue, and Scientifically, a cause to induce anxiety and other forms of mental issues.

Comment

• Why is this post in the basketball forum?
                        Dominance is a state of mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by ROOT ANGRY! View Post
                          Why is this post in the basketball forum?
                          Because the university instituted mask mandates for the BASKETBALL games.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Interesting statement. I wore masks, probably not they way they should be worn, but I followed the rules. I got Covid anyway. Did they make me safer? It seems like mask wearing is all for show, not Science. I still know people who won't go out into the public because they are scared. Scientific you may say? It seems like a poor quality of life issue, and Scientifically, a cause to induce anxiety and other forms of mental issues.
                            “You wore masks, probably not the way they should be worn…Did they make you safer?” If you didn’t wear the mask over your nose and mouth then it was not as effective for you or those around you than it could have been if you had worn it properly.

100% masking would make the environment safer, not completely safe. Such is life, nothing is completely foolproof.
                            Last edited by pie n eye; October 25, 2021, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
                              Virus is going to virus and math is math. Because all pre covid knowledge about pandemics was dismissed, it is going to take a lot longer to get to herd immunity. Don’t fool with Mother Nature applies here. We could have educated the elderly, obese and medically vulnerable so that they could have made their own choice on how they wanted to protect themselves, and allowed the healthy to live their lives normally which would have spread the virus throughout the healthy population. Pre covid knowledge taught us that once a virus has spread to 1% of the population that it can’t be stopped, but we ignored that. I believe letting the virus spread throughout the healthy population would have lowered overall death. It was known early on who was dying from covid and what co-morbidities they had, but we didn’t use that knowledge to form public health policy. 99.75% of the US population after almost 2 years have not died from covid.

If you want to look at some depressing statistics, look at mortality for 30 - 50 year olds, especially men, The vast majority of excess death in that age group isn’t from covid. How many people died due to lockdowns? Public health policy is supposed to look at how any action will affect the society as a whole including the economy. How many people have died and are going to die down the road because fear of covid kept people from going to the emergency room or for routine testing and check ups that would have diagnosed heart disease and cancers earlier.

How many people could have been saved with early treatment? We could have started using monoclonal antibody treatment almost a year ago, but we waited until the last few months, when DeSantis emphasized it in Florida, to really start using it. The treatment chosen by doctors of the 74 year old, overweight President of the United States, and it was ignored for months by most hospitals and doctors. We could have used some very safe, existing medications off label and treated those with symptoms immediately and we still aren’t. We could have emphasized the importance of zinc and vitamin D, but we didn’t. It’s been known since the Spanish flu that masks don’t work in stopping the spread of a virus, but we made things worse by leading the vulnerable to believe that a mask makes them safe. Mask compliant communities have done no better than communities that haven’t required them.

If we wear masks at the games, are we going to bring 6 to 8 so we can change them every 20 minutes? Do we hold our breath while we make the switch? Are we going to close the concession stands so that there is no excuse for taking them off? Maybe we should bring Lysol with us to. It is estimated that 53% of Kansans have been infected by the virus, and 53 are also fully vaccinated with 62% having at least 1 shot. What % of the crowd will have 1 or the other if not both? I am working on that answer. Maybe someone else has it. How high does it have to be before it is good enough?

We have a therapeutic that is being called a vaccine. In a pre covid world, specifically the 1967 swine flu vaccine which was halted after 48 million in the country had been vaccinated because of less than 60 vaccine attributed deaths, the covid therapeutic would have been stopped to be investigated and studied more because of the number of deaths and adverse events attributed to it. I am not saying it hasn’t been beneficial to the vast majority that haven’t had a significant adverse event, but I am glad that I wasn’t one of the unfortunate especially since my good health means that I was at very low risk if I was infected. I am saying a drug with the vaccines safety profile would never make it through normal approval. We are still getting an experimental shot. The shot we are getting is not the one that has been given full approval. The shot we are getting wasn’t designed for the delta variant which is probably part of the reason for the breakthrough cases and that the therapeutic loses whatever immunity it provides over time.

Now they want to give it to children who have no need for it because there risk of serious illness or death is virtually zero. Did you know Pfizer’s study of 5 - 12 year olds included less than 1500 children and there was at least 1 serious adverse event that is known. We don’t know for sure that there wasn’t more. There are more than 50 million children from 5 to 17. 1 severe adverse event for every 10000 shots would affect 5000 children. Less than 700 children have died from covid and almost all had comorbidities. Over 6.2 million have tested positive for covid. Shouldn’t we at least test children to see if they have naturally acquired immunity before giving them this shot. Based on the estimate that I will mention in the next paragraph, over 27 million children 5 - 17 have naturally acquired immunity. That means 99.997% have survived covid. That is 28 deaths per million and almost all were already seriously sick. Over 560,000 of covid deaths have been 65 and over out of a population of about 50 million. If 55% have been infected, that is over 2,000 deaths per million infected, but the survival rate for the infected 65 and up is still 97.9%. Think about the relative risk. What in the hell are we thinking even considering doing this to our children?

55% of the country is estimated to have been infected. We have wasted billions on testing people that aren’t sick. I don’t know what else you can call tests that have come back 90% negative. Maybe we should spend some money testing to let people that haven’t tested positive know if they have naturally acquired immunity. Pre covid and even early on in covid, it was common knowledge that naturally acquired immunity is superior. The MRNA shot only exposes the recipient to the spike protein. If you have had the virus, you have been exposed to the entire virus which is especially important for your lungs. The number of break through cases in those with naturally acquired immunity is statistically insignificant. Any doctor or public health person that dismisses naturally acquired immunity as being superior to the therapeutic shot should not have a job in the medical profession. Common sense would be that people with naturally acquired immunity should be the most desired of employees especially in medicine, but we are firing them. Oregon shocker might be interested to know that only 34% of the Oregon population are estimated to have been infected. Some states are almost at 70%. Oregon has a long way to go. Kansas is at 53%.

I could write so much more, but I will stop.

1 more thing. Cold is full of crap.
                              Holy Bible!

I took the liberty of distilling your post down to its salient points:

Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
                              I am working on that answer. Maybe someone else has it. I could write so much more, but I will stop.

1 more thing. Cold is full of crap.
                              A hodgepodge of opinion and propaganda; you barely understand the issue enough to be dangerous.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

“You wore masks, probably not the way they should be worn…Did they make you safer?” If you didn’t wear the mask over your nose and mouth then it was not as effective for you or those around you than it could have been if you had worn it properly.

100% masking would make the environment safer, not completely safe. Such is life, nothing is completely foolproof.
                                You’re extremely full of it, and more likely a clodidiot. You FEEL safer? That’s not the same as making you safer. I know that you don't wear yours correctly either. Watch people. No one wears them correctly. There are gaps with air being allowed in, worn under their nose, hands touching them constantly, and adjusting them, even after they adjust their “junk”, almost all masks are paper, when talking understanding is impossible so they adjust mask, or look around the plexiglass, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X