Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Note to self: Do NOT allow Garden Plain to join the AAC
    At the rate we are going, it wouldn’t surprise me.

but it would still be better than the MVC.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Note to self: Do NOT allow Garden Plain to join the AAC
      They do play football so they have that going for them.

Comment

• Well. Either we get a BE invite or we might as well be D-II.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
          Well. Either we get a BE invite or we might as well be D-II.
          All we need is for KU and OSU to find a new home and we'll be fine. That will open up a plethora of options.

Comment

• So do we anticipate that football, men's and women's basketball, and volleyball (where all 14 schools field teams) will be conducted on a divisional setup? Two 7 team divisions. 12 games per year vs your division (home and away), 7 games per year vs other division (4 home, 3 away and 3 home, 4 away in atlernating years) for a total of 19 conferenence games except for football.

Sports where division play not needed
            Baseball - Played By 10 of the 14 teams
            Softball - Played By 10 of the 14 teams
            Men's Soccer - Played By 9 of the 14 teams (Typically only play single games vs Conference opponents)
            Women's Soccer - Played by 12 of the 14 teams (Typically only play single games vs Conference opponents)
            Woulld not apply to Golf, Tennis or XC/Track & Field, et. al. which do not have regular season conference championships.

East Division
            South Florida
            Florida Atlantic
            East Carolina
            Charlotte
            Temple
            UAB
            Tulane (Navy For Football)

West Division
            Memphis
            Wichita State (Tulane For Football)
            SMU
            Tulsa
            North Texas
            Texas-San Antonio
            Rice

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              So do we anticipate that football, men's and women's basketball, and volleyball (where all 14 schools field teams) will be conducted on a divisional setup? Two 7 team divisions. 12 games per year vs your division (home and away), 7 games per year vs other division (4 home, 3 away and 3 home, 4 away in atlernating years) for a total of 19 conferenence games except for football.

Sports where division play not needed
              Baseball - Played By 10 of the 14 teams
              Softball - Played By 10 of the 14 teams
              Men's Soccer - Played By 9 of the 14 teams (Typically only play single games vs Conference opponents)
              Women's Soccer - Played by 12 of the 14 teams (Typically only play single games vs Conference opponents)
              Woulld not apply to Golf, Tennis or XC/Track & Field, et. al. which do not have regular season conference championships.

East Division
              South Florida
              Florida Atlantic
              East Carolina
              Charlotte
              Temple
              UAB
              Tulane (Navy For Football)

West Division
              Memphis
              Wichita State (Tulane For Football)
              SMU
              Tulsa
              North Texas
              Texas-San Antonio
              Rice
              As I commented in post #116 of this thread, I don't think Memphis will be "West" if divisions are used for basketball. UAB and Memphis are the closest schools to each other, and have a historical rivalry in the same vein as WSU-Tulsa. I think Tulane goes West instead if they decide on divisions. Should be interesting to see what transpires.
              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

All we need is for KU and OSU to find a new home and we'll be fine. That will open up a plethora of options.
                I think this will happen as well and like CB I believe it will cause what is left to dissolve.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
                  Well. Either we get a BE invite or we might as well be D-II.
                  Sarcasm?

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

I think this will happen as well and like CB I believe it will cause what is left to dissolve.
                    I think the B12 eventually becomes the AAC if/when those two bounce. Hopefully that means us and NAVY join (probably AF too).

IF the B12 stays where they are, then we have to hope that Memphis, SMU, and Tulsa head to the MWC (and we are included). Then add the Zags and life is good again. Bad time-zone but...

Our league could be almost bearable if no further changes to membership happen. But if Memphis and SMU bounce leaving us behind.... the party's over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

As I commented in post #116 of this thread, I don't think Memphis will be "West" if divisions are used for basketball. UAB and Memphis are the closest schools to each other, and have a historical rivalry in the same vein as WSU-Tulsa. I think Tulane goes West instead if they decide on divisions. Should be interesting to see what transpires.
                      Yeah, I thought about that as a possibility. I guess I went more with what I would like to see than maybe what is most likely. But as you say we we'll see how it shakes out.

Comment

• One thing that can be said about Owls: They are silent but deadly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

Navy will also be in the west. Not that it matters for basketball

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                            One thing that can be said about Owls: They are silent but deadly.
                            To an RPI type number...

Comment

• I somehow missed that we play UNT this season.

Comment

• I hope that they do not do divisions for men’s basketball and continue to schedule to help the teams that are expected to be at the top of the league. They could do this with a 18,19 or 20 game schedule. If divisions, based on 1972’s idea, I would swap Rice and UAB. That keeps Rice and Tulane together and UAB and Memphis together which is better geographically. Rice and Tulane can have the Scholar’s Bowl. It isn’t better overall for Rice, but they have a lot of money and can afford the travel, but it makes for a much better division for WSU.
                                Last edited by Shocker82/85; October 22, 2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X