Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to adding the front range schools at least. Going coast to coast may be complicated and I'm not sure if the money would work to do so.

I don't see any football only invites unless they finally pull Army in. AFA would want to keep theirs together and I don't think they would want to try and move their Oly sports to the MVC or WAC.

I'd be curious if there's anyone in Texas that could make any sense. Rice and North Texas would possibly be looked at. I don't follow enough college football to know if any others show some promise and might be able to capitalize off of more exposure/prestige. Rice would be a purely academic add but I'm sure Tulane and a few others would support them.

Buffalo is somewhat intriguing and would help Temple out a bit since they lose UCon and now Cincy. Could a school like Toledo make a case? The MAC is pretty safe and compact but seems like they've had flashes at least in both major sports.

UAB would be near the top of the list. USM might be as well. I believe both have some history with current schools and have had some levels of success in the past. I'm not sure if there's a FL school that would make sense. Coastal Carolina would appear to help football some. Charlotte has a market but not sure where anything else stands. Arkansas State has had some minor football success.

I think as far as we're concerned and with basketball, the front range schools would be the best bet. New Mexico has some tradition. Colorado State is fairly solid more often than not. Wyoming has been surprisingly decent in the past. AFA draws attention.

Obviously nobody replaces those leaving, but that's not really an option unless going coast to coast makes sense and you can bring in SDSU, UNLV/Nevada, New Mexico and a couple of others to make sense. That would probably be the best way to lessen the blow. Just need ESPN to make something like that happen.
    With the right additions from the MWC, I think you'd see an east and west division which would limit some travel. ESPN might be willing to pony up to make it happen. MWC is a Fox/CBS league and ESPN might want to grab the best out of that league to add to their inventory the same way they just grabbed OU/Texas out of the Big XII

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

With the right additions from the MWC, I think you'd see an east and west division which would limit some travel. ESPN might be willing to pony up to make it happen. MWC is a Fox/CBS league and ESPN might want to grab the best out of that league to add to their inventory the same way they just grabbed OU/Texas out of the Big XII
      My only concern with divisions is being in the West. I really hate late tips and it's why I see very little of western teams. But if it puts us in a better position I'll figure out a way to make it work.

Waiting for ESPN to make it happen.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• If the AAC expands west, I think it makes the most sense to grab four MWC teams and two others from the east. A Boise fan on the AAC board has said it would require four western teams for them to jump.

I'm approaching this from more of a basketball perspective (with football influence), but we could add BSU, SDSU, one of UNLV/Nevada, and one of UtahSt/ColoSt/NewMex/AF. Then grab UAB and one of ULL or LaTech (those two are less firm if other options would be better). Base those last four additions on overall institution profile (football, basketball, metro/market).

Have two seven-team east/west divisions:

East:

USF
        ECU
        Temple
        Memphis
        Tulane
        UAB
        ULL/LaTech

West:

WSU
        Tulsa
        SMU
        SDSU
        BSU
        UNLV/Nevada
        UtahSt/ColoSt/NewMex/AF

(For football, Navy in East, Memphis in West, keeping the LA schools together)

Play round-robin against your division and one against each from the other division, for 19 conference games.

I don't like being in the west, or that it would span four time zones, but for conference strength in basketball (needing SDSU), I think that's the best solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          If the AAC expands west, I think it makes the most sense to grab four MWC teams and two others from the east. A Boise fan on the AAC board has said it would require four western teams for them to jump.

I'm approaching this from more of a basketball perspective (with football influence), but we could add BSU, SDSU, one of UNLV/Nevada, and one of UtahSt/ColoSt/NewMex/AF. Then grab UAB and one of ULL or LaTech (those two are less firm if other options would be better). Base those last four additions on overall institution profile (football, basketball, metro/market).

East:

USF
          ECU
          Temple
          Memphis
          Tulane
          UAB
          ULL/LaTech

West:

WSU
          Tulsa
          SMU
          SDSU
          BSU
          UNLV/Nevada
          UtahSt/ColoSt/NewMex/AF

Play round-robin against your division and one against each from the other division, for 19 conference games.

I don't like being in the west, or that it would span four time zones, but for conference strength in basketball (needing SDSU), I think that's the best solution.
          Don't think Boise would come if they think a Big 12 offer is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            If the AAC expands west, I think it makes the most sense to grab four MWC teams and two others from the east. A Boise fan on the AAC board has said it would require four western teams for them to jump.

East:

USF
            ECU
            Temple
            Memphis
            Tulane
            UAB
            ULL/LaTech

West:

WSU
            Tulsa
            SMU
            SDSU
            BSU
            UNLV/Nevada
            UtahSt/ColoSt/NewMex/AF

I don't completely disagree, but I've heard for years that it will be difficult to split up CSU and AFA. Also, I believe one of the stipulations for Navy was they wanted to play the western teams to expand their influence. I'm not sure they'd be happy being an eastern team. But that's a smaller issue where you just flip one of the border schools from west to east
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I don't completely disagree, but I've heard for years that it will be difficult to split up CSU and AFA. Also, I believe one of the stipulations for Navy was they wanted to play the western teams to expand their influence. I'm not sure they'd be happy being an eastern team. But that's a smaller issue where you just flip one of the border schools from west to east
              I've heard CSU was the first school to reach out to the AAC in the last round of expansion. They have aspirations that aren't currently being satisfied with membership in the MWC (and I agree with CSU critics that their on field/court performance belies those aspirations). I'm not sure if AFA was part of those discussions, but I can second the general belief that the two want to stay together.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

We’re better off now with AAC Lite than we were as a MoVal member. They’ll be additional movement, possibly programs dropping football as the P4 (pac, acc, B1G, Sec) take control of the football landscape leaving opportunities for a powerful public school BB conference.

Short term disappointment may indeed lead to long term opportunities.
                I don't know about dropping football entirely, but I've wondered if realignment will result in some schools dropping to FCS. The P4 may not need to forcibly push teams out of FBS--it may simply happen because some schools can't keep up and see the writing on the wall.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The one bright side if they poach Memphis and Boise is that the MWC would lose it's best football school. They might be more open to a merger of some sort for survival (would be a 16 team conference). That could be a pretty good BB conference. Colorado State, Utah State, San Diego State, New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada, Wyoming ... all of those teams are normally above average teams. Wouldn't be the home run of the Big East, but would still be the best possible scenario from a BB standpoint unless Aresco opens the door for BB only adds.
                  I've also thought that BSU getting poached by the B12 might create a situation where the MWC and AAC talk about tying the knot (it would be 18 schools, btw). They're clearly the overall two best "G5" conferences (that is in stature, money, and perception--I'm hoping to avoid replies with statistical analysis of recent conference athletic performance). I understand MWC commissioner Craig Thompson is kind of an egotistical dick, so that could be a hurdle in getting merger talks going. It would be a coast to coast conference, but with relatively even regional divisions that are pretty much already in place.

If BSU bolts, the MWC has nowhere to go. They ain't getting teams from the AAC. Gonzaga isn't going there basketball only. They could add schools like NMSU or Montana State, but that's underwhelming, like the AAC adding ODU or Marshall. And there's a very real possibility the AAC picks up the eastern flank of the MWC. They'd be screwed.

Comment

• I can't seem avoid the speculation, so screw it -- I'll jump in and add my worthless dump to the BS pile.

I know Aresco is paying lip service to geography not being a consideration, which is smart right now, but I really don't think we'll end up going west. I would look for the addition of four teams to get to 12 (in order of likelihood)
                    • UAB -- Large R1 research university. Good market. Rising sports. Checks all the boxes.
                    • Rice or UTSA -- There has to be a Texas team. It's too strong a recruiting ground for AAC schools both athletically and academically. North Texas is in a metro we're already in. With elite academics, Rice would be perfect for the university presidents and retain a Houston presence. UTSA is a marginally stronger athletics program and adds the San Antonio market.
                    • FIU -- There has to be a Florida team (see Texas). FIU is a large R1 research university and gets you into Miami. Easy travel. By all accounts the best remaining option in Florida over FAU.
                    • One from Column B: Buffalo / La Tech / Marshall. Buffalo is my favorite here as it fits more with the AAC's urban tendencies, is an R1 research university and has strong athletics right now. The others would be chosen more for athletic reasons.
                    • What I'd love to see but won't happen: Army (FB only) with VCU (Olympic sports); Boise State (FB only) with Gonzaga (Olympic sports). If you got both of those, AAC basketball would arguably be even better. The Boise/Gonzaga arrangement was rumored to be on the table for the Big XII but they decided to stick with all-sports participants. If you have to go west, go big.
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Don't think Boise would come if they think a Big 12 offer is possible.
                      Depends on our offer. If we are bumping their pay 2-3mil a year they might be willing to jump then jump again. Take the sure thing now that will likely offset the cost of the better thing if they have to jump again. If the offer from the Big XII never comes, they are still in a better position.

I don't think Boise comes without a western division though. So i think it's like 0 or 4 from the west. Only exception might be Colorado state being willing to move.

Comment

• Realignment always brings up reviving football, but we are better without.
                        Latest on Rutgers, still losing millions, even in the Big 10.

Comment

• Well, I’m not surprised Rutgers is struggling financially. I’m told they’re paying bench warmers 100k! Can only imagine what they’re paying the water people in their football program.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            Well, I’m not surprised Rutgers is struggling financially. I’m told they’re paying bench warmers 100k! Can only imagine what they’re paying the water people in their football program.
                            The B1G has not been kind to expansion teams. Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland — none of them have sniffed a bowl game since 2016. Penn State does great after joining in 1990, but ends up forfeiting 112 wins from 1994-2011. It's like a body rejecting a foreign limb. KU should jump over there, since their football program is already dead.
                            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              Can only imagine what they’re paying the water people in their football program.
                              It’s watertheys, get with the times.

Comment

• Originally posted by myopicraiderfan View Post
                                Realignment always brings up reviving football, but we are better without.
                                Latest on Rutgers, still losing millions, even in the Big 10.
                                Wow, what a mess! Their athletic dept. receives nearly as much in student athletic fees (71000 x $400 = $28 million) as WSU's entire athletic budget.

The Big10 used them like a rented mule for TV revenue. The question is, what is the Big10 going to do to them and Maryland (who is also carrying a ton of debt, some of it to the Big10), when their departments are about to crumble under the weight of all that debt? Continue propping them up with "loans" that will come from future conference revenue?

I can't help but wonder if the Rutgers and Maryland experiences are the reason the Big10 doesn't want to expand, especially with the likes of KU and ISU.

It just goes to show that sometimes you're already in the right place and have the best fit for your institution.

Comment

Working...
                                X