Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As long as we are with Houston, we’ll be ok.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Kansas has nowhere to go. Period. Their hope, and only hope, is for the Big 12 to complete cobbling something together. This isn't difficult for any econ majors. GOR TV money is 70% football, 30% basketball. So, Kansas has a great basketball program, that awesome 30% will never be enough to overcome their drag on the 70% of football money. If Kansas was a truely viable addition to the ACC, B1G, or Pac, the announcement would have been made shortly after the UT-OU announcement. It didn't happen. In fact, the Pac publicly said no additions, and the B1G did as well. If KU were the commodity their fans think they are, a bidding war would have occurred. Nothing happened.

I live in B1G territory. Nowhere in B1G land do fans clamor to see Kansas basketball. They vomit at the thought of Kansas football. And Kansas Olympic sports are horrendous. Kansas adds zero value to a TV contract. The added TV revenue from basketball come no where near to the lost revenue KU football takes off the table. If KU fans knew anything about the world outside of Lenexa and Overland Park, they would have coughed up the $350,000,000 asked for a few years ago. Instead, fans contributed just enough to build KU's first football specific indoor practice facility- on par with much of FCS ball. Bunch of of arrogant dumbasses with no pulse on the outside sports world.
      Honestly I don't disagree with much here. Right now, there is nowhere to go and the KU fans who thought otherwise were delusional. We have not seen the end of realignment though. Most people agree that this ends with some number of teams breaking away from the NCAA and I do think KU is likely to be a part of that. As is Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, and I maybe even the new Big East. Basketball will absolutely be a factor but if KU wants our football program to be included we better start spending yesterday. I'll stop there though, as I didn't come to talk about KU on a board where most people don't care and was only responding to that original question.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
        As long as we are with Houston, we’ll be ok.
        I hate to break it to you but both Houston and Cincinnati are gone to the new best non-power conference trying to hang on to it's autonomy five status.

Comment

• Originally posted by yesimaKUfan View Post

I hate to break it to you but both Houston and Cincinnati are gone to the new best non-power conference trying to hang on to it's autonomy five status.
          Perhaps you, Little Self's wife, and other chickenhawk fans can go back to watching your favorite television show. It's called CHEATERS.

Comment

Bunch of of arrogant dumbasses with no pulse on the outside sports world.
            "Like" bait, but I fell for it.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Sounds like ADDB is all over it and we shouldn't worry.

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/s...855607809?s=19

Comment

Kansas has nowhere to go. Period. Their hope, and only hope, is for the Big 12 to complete cobbling something together. This isn't difficult for any econ majors. GOR TV money is 70% football, 30% basketball. So, Kansas has a great basketball program, that awesome 30% will never be enough to overcome their drag on the 70% of football money. If Kansas was a truely viable addition to the ACC, B1G, or Pac, the announcement would have been made shortly after the UT-OU announcement. It didn't happen. In fact, the Pac publicly said no additions, and the B1G did as well. If KU were the commodity their fans think they are, a bidding war would have occurred. Nothing happened.

I live in B1G territory. Nowhere in B1G land do fans clamor to see Kansas basketball. They vomit at the thought of Kansas football. And Kansas Olympic sports are horrendous. Kansas adds zero value to a TV contract. The added TV revenue from basketball come no where near to the lost revenue KU football takes off the table. If KU fans knew anything about the world outside of Lenexa and Overland Park, they would have coughed up the $350,000,000 asked for a few years ago. Instead, fans contributed just enough to build KU's first football specific indoor practice facility- on par with much of FCS ball. Bunch of of arrogant dumbasses with no pulse on the outside sports world.
                There really isn't a place to go for any of the remaining 8. And I do find it interesting that it has been reported that KU has the 3rd highest revenue in the B12, even with their moribund football program.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

There really isn't a place to go for any of the remaining 8. And I do find it interesting that it has been reported that KU has the 3rd highest revenue in the B12, even with their moribund football program.
                  Because of the way the Big 12 distributed revenue and because Big 12 teams all kept their third tier rights, KU was able to parlay basketball into a huge payday. In essence, OU and UT made the most because they generated the most TV revenue. KU was third because they made the most basketball TV revenue. In all other conferences, TV revenue is put into a pot and evenly distributed.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                    Sounds like ADDB is all over it and we shouldn't worry.

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/s...855607809?s=19
                    Hopefully that's all PC speak... But that reads poorly. Basically our AD saying "nothing I can do" and Aresco saying he might try to throw us some scraps after they take care of the football schools.

3 of the best basketball teams have left since we joined, we should be getting a refund and/or a larger cut at this point if we are going to stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Hopefully that's all PC speak... But that reads poorly. Basically our AD saying "nothing I can do" and Aresco saying he might try to throw us some scraps after they take care of the football schools.

3 of the best basketball teams have left since we joined, we should be getting a refund and/or a larger cut at this point if we are going to stay.

"If we are going to stay..." LOL! As if...

BeltTight's commentary was weak as was our commissioner's reflecting the power each have in the situation... none. BT is a placeholder and Aresco is a customer service rep.

Bowlsby has played his hand perfectly thus far.

ButtLip was especially impressive when he "ShOt DoWn" rumors of Wichita State being interested in the Big Pee. What a ****ing beast of a man!!!1111

Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; September 7, 2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                        As long as we are with Houston, we’ll be ok.
                        Narrator: "They weren't with Houston."
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• ten years ago i would have been devastated but with all of the changes in college athletics, my wallet has changed directions.. it’s nfl-lite and nba-lite.. can’t have that. i love wichita state but the playground that they’re playin in is some bullshit

Comment

Because of the way the Big 12 distributed revenue and because Big 12 teams all kept their third tier rights, KU was able to parlay basketball into a huge payday. In essence, OU and UT made the most because they generated the most TV revenue. KU was third because they made the most basketball TV revenue. In all other conferences, TV revenue is put into a pot and evenly distributed.
                            I believe you but this is the first I've read this - do you have link?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

I believe you but this is the first I've read this - do you have link?
                              I could dig something up, but essentially, the TV deal was set up to give Texas one Longhorn Network football game. So every Big 12 school gets one home football game to sell and a handful of basketball games. I believe in recent years, KU has been selling these basketball games to air on ESPN+, not sure. But if you're watching a KU game and they have home announcers, that is a third tier game that KU owns.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Oh, and factor in the radio broadcast rights and you have a sh¹toad of KU fans listening to basketball on the radio. Exactly zero dollars from the radio deal benefit any conference. That said, Kansas making good bank on the rights that they maintain does nothing to benefit any conference.

It's all about how much more valuable a conference will be with KU. In the end KU is a football revenue vacuum. And with football netting 70% of the TV package, it's a really tough sell. KU is only a sexy addition to KU fans. It's all about the pigskin.

Comment

Working...
                                X