Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s the story with A&M wanting out of the SEC? Are they tired of figuring out ways to spend all that money or something?

Comment

• A&M was kept in the dark. They aren’t hurting money wise, and are in one of the biggest markets in US.

They left Big XII due to Texas and always being made out as little brother. They will have options as both PAC and B1G wanted them before they chose SEC.

If they move, you will see more P4 movement, and that complicates the situation drastically trying to figure out who goes where.

My guess is SEC would try to woo Clemson to replace them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        Would be hilarious if KU ended up in the AAC.

The ego hit and the spike on the suicide hotline in Lawrence would hit an all time high.
        I can see the jokes now.

”Big brother has to move into little brother’s basement after his girlfriend left him.”
        78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

If a school is not a member of the realigned P4 conferences very unlikely "a football TV deal" will be available to "leech meaningful" cash from to support the school's athletic department. IMO the Beakers have a >50% possibility of being excluded as they geographically fall outside the B1G, ACC and PAC conference footprints; the SEC has absolutely no interest in the Beakers.

I don't know if this means they will go independent as they might be better served leading the establishment of a basketball focused (only?) conference/organization to compete with the P4 conferences for the pot of gold the NCAA has regards March Madness. How many nationally prominent basketball programs would be available to join such a basketball focused organization?
          BEast
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• If KU goes anywhere, it’s most likely to the BEast. Basketball focused, some football presence, recent Nattys. It would be a coup and maybe be enough to bring WVU back but I doubt it.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I think the options are all over the board, for conference realignment. For every team a conference adds, the per member $$ likely goes down. I am not sure it is clear that adding OU and UT to the SEC increases the per-member payout. It certainly could, but I don't think it is crystal clear. And the are the load-star for this kind of stuff. Why would the PAC12 add KSU or Iowa State? Each current member's $$ almost certainly go down.

And if the football power five goes to 64, they still need other Div 1 teams to play, including AAC of course but also the Sun Belt etc.

AND of course, there are some G5 teams that are probably more valuable than Wake Forest, Washington State, Northwester, Rutgers etc. Among those I think they are all in the AAC: Houston, UCF, Cincy. I am not as sure about SMU, USF and Memphis. The Mountain West schools are also players, especially Boise State and maybe San Jose State or San Diego State.

I think a "source" within the ACC said they weren't interested in any of the B12 leftovers.

I think the Big12 probably goes away, BUT it is possible they stay intact and maybe add the Florida schools. That is what I would do. There isn't growth for Cincy or Memphis. Florida will continue to grow. Houston is a wild-card, in my opinion.

For all of this stuff, I am not sure I see much change for the NCAA tournament. And with WSU not having football, this is a rare occurrence that this helps us. I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                If KU goes anywhere, it’s most likely to the BEast. Basketball focused, some football presence, recent Nattys. It would be a coup and maybe be enough to bring WVU back but I doubt it.
                Besides UCONN, I don't think there are any other football schools.

Comment

• KU? I’m more concerned about the impact to WSU and the AAC than what happens with KU.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Not at the FBS level. There are a few FCS football teams there.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• If it’s comes down to it, who wins: FOX (B12) vs Disney (AAC)?

Apparently, The American is trying to leverage their relationship with ESPN as part of their move to pick off the rest of the B12.

Hopefully, their ambition is rewarded.
                      The Assman

Comment

• The really only sensible solution since this will always be a poaching due to football issue is align ourselves with colleges that don’t have
                        football or play non-schol D3. That means jump to the Big East or work with Big East, Atlantic 10 and Gonzaga to build a basketball focused conference. I would even consider Loyola and Grand Canyon. Otherwise this discussion happens almost every year. On the other hand, the NCAA may not exist as we know it in two years so all will be moot.
                        Last edited by shoxlax; July 24, 2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          Other than interest from a fan's perspective, I really don't see what the consternation is for WSU fans at this point.

This is about football, and we're on the outside, not even looking in.

The B12 is done, period. It won't survive the loss of OU UT. Brand or not, doesn't matter. It's not part of the picture anymore.

Right now the Power 4 are B1G (14) ACC (14) SEC (14) & PAC (12) plus Notre Dame. That's 55 going to 64 in all likelihood...65 at the most.

Who are the 9 or 10 going to be is the only question. There won't be a 5th power conference anymore. If there is still a B12 it's going to be in the gang of 6 or 8 or whatever, no one will care.

NO ONE.

Let's say they add 10. The question becomes what is the pecking order?

Unless I'm missing something the teams are Boise State, BYU, KU, KSU, ISU, OSU, TCU, Baylor, WVU, Texas Tech, Cincy, Houston, SMU, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, USF with a clear advantage going to all the leftovers in the B12. Did I miss anyone? I could possibly be wrong in omitting Tulsa, but I don't think I am.

If the PAC12 were to announce BYU, OSU, Texas Tech and Baylor (for instance) you would see the large **** hemorrhage ever coming from Lawrence and Manhattan. As it is, one of those 2 schools is likely in a really, really bad place, and it's more than likely K-State and not KU, sadly.

We just have to hope they don't change the basketball tournament. And I don't think they will. We'll find a spot. Tulsa will have to be in a league. We'll be there.
                          K-State is in a bad spot because they can’t afford to lose money on football, unlike KU. Any change to the conference they are in or the talent level they face would potentially have a negative financial affect on them.

Comment

Non Schol D3 or FCS

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                              What would be hilarious is if KU had to go independent for a bit and didn’t have a football TV deal to leech off of.
                              TV companies to KU football when they ask for a TV deal

034~2.jpg

Comment

Is KU a football school? I’m saying the hurdles in the BEast are easier to overcome than the hurdles in the B1G

Comment

Working...
                                X