Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

(Maybe/Probably switch Baylor and Boise (who the AAC are already in talks with) since the PAC would probably like to pull them in)

The PAC has historically been reluctant to add religious schools. This may be something specific to BYU that wouldn't apply to other religious schools, but it is a widely acknowledged dynamic in conference realignment discussions (for instance: https://www.si.com/college/ucla/news...21-realignment).
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Our best hope would be for the Big 10 to start moving toward expansion and take KU. Without KU, OU and TX, the big 12 doesn't look as attractive.

Basically, the Big 12 needs to be raided by the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 to just KState, TCU, WVA and Tech. IA ST and KU to Big 10, OU and TX to SEC, Baylor and OSU to Pac 12. Conference gone. AAC picks those 4 up.

That's best case.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
          Our best hope would be for the Big 10 to start moving toward expansion and take KU. Without KU, OU and TX, the big 12 doesn't look as attractive.

Basically, the Big 12 needs to be raided by the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 to just KState, TCU, WVA and Tech. IA ST and KU to Big 10, OU and TX to SEC, Baylor and OSU to Pac 12. Conference gone. AAC picks those 4 up.

That's best case.
          KU, with the current state of their football team, is likely the least valuable member to be poached. They would be more likely to be poached if they did not have football at all. Otherwise it's a complete drag on whatever conference they are going to.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            Get on the phone and start ball rolling to get into the BE. That would be the smart thing to do.
            If any credible info reaches the WSU president or AD's office that one or more of the AAC heavies are in talks to join the B12 remnant, that's the first call that needs to be made. I'm not wild about becoming an even more geographic outlier in a conference where we don't fit the university profile and is (I assume) a huge step down in baseball, but it probably is the best option, especially from a financial standpoint.

Should the AAC lose any four of Cinci, Houston, Memphis, SMU, UCF or USF, ESPN will nuke the current TV deal and offer scraps.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

KU, with the current state of their football team, is likely the least valuable member to be poached. They would be more likely to be poached if they did not have football at all. Otherwise it's a complete drag on whatever conference they are going to.
              That seems to be logical, but I still believe that their basketball program would still be coveted by many conferences.

eg, I think KU is still preferrable to KState from a conference perspective.

I could be wrong.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Reddit is claiming that the TV deal, without UT/OU will be similar to the AAC TV deal. Sounds like no incentive for AAC schools to jump.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

That seems to be logical, but I still believe that their basketball program would still be coveted by many conferences.

I could be wrong.
                  I think there are three considerations when the power conference are looking to expand:

Football
                  Academics
                  Basketball

KSU has the obvious advantage in football, but they haven't been nationally relevant (top 25) since 2014.
                  KU has the obvious advantage in the other two areas, and it's not close.

So I would agree, KU will be preferable to either the B1G or Heathen (PAC).

KSU's best-case scenario is to for KU to go B1G and join the PAC with OSU, TTU and ISU.

The Heathens don't want any school with a religious affiliation, which will leave TCU and Baylor looking for homes.

Comment

I could be wrong.
                    That’s like playing F— Marry Kill. Sure, when presented KState and KU you would likely take KU due to history and academics but really you don’t want either. This is where KU’s pompous attitude over the years comes back to bite them. They are a better fit for the ACC but don’t fit geographically at all.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I think there are three considerations when the power conference are looking to expand:

Football
                      Academics
                      Basketball

KSU has the obvious advantage in football, but they haven't been nationally relevant (top 25) since 2014.
                      KU has the obvious advantage in the other two areas, and it's not close.

So I would agree, KU will be preferable to either the B1G or Heathen (PAC).

KSU's best-case scenario is to for KU to go B1G and join the PAC with OSU, TTU and ISU.

The Heathens don't want any school with a religious affiliation, which will leave TCU and Baylor looking for homes.
                      If TCU and Baylor were left out, I'm sure the AAC would be more than happy to bring them in.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                        Reddit is claiming that the TV deal, without UT/OU will be similar to the AAC TV deal. Sounds like no incentive for AAC schools to jump.
                        That the Big 12 is OU/UT with some tag alongs is a fact often forgotten in realignment discussions. I think the networks will have quite a bit of input in this next round of realignment, and I don’t think that bodes well for the tag alongs or for the future of the big 12.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

As noted by Shock Top, the best case scenario (and not a wildly unrealistic one, especially if the reports about the B12 tv deal without OU and Texas are true) is an AAC/B12 merger. The move is towards a small set of really large conferences and this move might be the best way for the AAC and remaining B12 teams to stay included in the P5 conversation.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                            As noted by Shock Top, the best case scenario (and not a wildly unrealistic one, especially if the reports about the B12 tv deal without OU and Texas are true) is an AAC/B12 merger. The move is towards a small set of really large conferences and this move might be the best way for the AAC and remaining B12 teams to stay included in the P5 conversation.
                            Rumors- B12 wanted members to sign a 10 year TV deal. UT said no. PAC is interested in OkSt and TTU. ACC interested in WVU.

Comment

Multiple B12 rumors. One says B12 schools are now in every man for themselves mode. Another says they will court BYU, Boise, Houston, Cinci, and UCF and hope 4 will jump ship

Comment

I'd love for the AAC to somehow poach Oklahoma State. Would add another great drivable conference game for us.

But football drives the bus here.

My dream scenario

OU: SEC
                                Texas: SEC
                                OSU: AAC
                                Baylor:AAC
                                TT: AAC
                                WVU: ACC
                                TCU: .. not sure
                                Iowa State: Big 10
                                KSU: Pac or MWC
                                KU: Realizes they will never be competitive in football, drops it and joins the MVC.

But in reality, the Texas/Oklahoma schools would be prime additions considering the western part of our footprint. Being partnered with ESPN is going to be hugely important going forward (I think the Big 12 is fox)

Comment

Working...
                                X