Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a situation arised where the MWC convinced Gonzaga to join, it'd be a no-brainer to follow them if invited. That basketball conference runs circles around what's left of the AAC, even with Memphis. And I know it doesn't matter to a single one of the decision makers, but the MWC is pretty pathetic in baseball so our chances of heading back to a regional are much increased.
    Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
      If a situation arised where the MWC convinced Gonzaga to join, it'd be a no-brainer to follow them if invited.
      indeed

Comment

• Aresco tried to raid the MWC, and did it very publicly. That didn't work out well. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the MWC went after some AAC teams as a result.

I'm skeptical of Memphis to the B12. I don't think anyone really wants Memphis.

The MWC could make a run on SMU and Tulsa.

The misfired attempt to raid the MWC gives the AAC the look of a wounded wildebeest with a pack of lions on its heels.

Comment

• "Jesus! All things end badly or else they wouldn't end"
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I wonder if the MWC has promised CSU and AFA that they'll go add a couple of Texas schools. Both utilize Texas quite a bit.
            It does make you wonder what the MWC or its TV partners may have come up with to convince CSU and AFA to stay put or perhaps the rumors of CSU and AFA being locks to join the AAC may have been a bit overstated.

And what does this development do for ESPN's enthusiasm for the AAC. We know it can't be good we just don't know to what extent the damage has been or will be.

Comment

• I'm not convinced that basketball in the MWC is better than basketball in the current AAC (minus departing members).

Consider:

In the current AAC (minus departing members), Memphis, Temple, SMU, and WSU all have Final Four appearances.

In the MWC, only UNLV and Wyoming have Final Four appearances.

Now also consider that the MVC has twice as many teams with Final Four appearances (Loyola, Indiana State, Drake, and Bradley) as does the MWC.

I think as a basketball school, we should be wary of joining the MWC.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                I'm not convinced that basketball in the MWC is better than basketball in the current AAC (minus departing members).

Consider:

In the current AAC (minus departing members), Memphis, Temple, SMU, and WSU all have Final Four appearances.

In the MWC, only UNLV and Wyoming have Final Four appearances.

Now also consider that the MVC has twice as many teams with Final Four appearances (Loyola, Indiana State, Drake, and Bradley) as does the MWC.

I think as a basketball school, we should be wary of joining the MWC.
                Using this argument, if WSU and SMU went to the MWC, that conference would have 4 teams with final 4 trips, and the AAC would only have 2. Everyone just needs to calm down, relax, and look forward to this coming year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

Using this argument, if WSU and SMU went to the MWC, that conference would have 4 teams with final 4 trips, and the AAC would only have 2. Everyone just needs to calm down, relax, and look forward to this coming year.
                  LOL, point taken. WSU, SMU, and Gonzaga to the MWC would definitely increase the basketball prestige in that conference and totally invalidate my earlier point.

Comment

• Those of us in the Eastern Time Zone would need a lot of red bull. 8pm EST is a good start time and 9pm is not terrible, but after that it requires a good nap the following day

Comment

• Us joining Gonzaga to the MWC almost seems too good to be true.

Comment

• As a San Diego State alum, it would be a dream to have WSU in the MWC for no other reason than the Shox visiting Viejas Arena every'ish year. However, I have doubts there would be an invite - schools on the West Coast turn their noses up at anything outside the Pacific Time Zone. It would take a lot of mental gymnastics for the MWC commissioners to overcome that bias - let alone the MWC schools public fan bases and alumni groups.

But one can hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
                          As a San Diego State alum, it would be a dream to have WSU in the MWC for no other reason than the Shox visiting Viejas Arena every'ish year. However, I have doubts there would be an invite - schools on the West Coast turn their noses up at anything outside the Pacific Time Zone. It would take a lot of mental gymnastics for the MWC commissioners to overcome that bias - let alone the MWC schools public fan bases and alumni groups.

But one can hope.
                          I've actually seen a lot of fan support for the idea of adding WSU since it started getting rumored. Was kinda surprised to see that.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
                            As a San Diego State alum, it would be a dream to have WSU in the MWC for no other reason than the Shox visiting Viejas Arena every'ish year. However, I have doubts there would be an invite - schools on the West Coast turn their noses up at anything outside the Pacific Time Zone. It would take a lot of mental gymnastics for the MWC commissioners to overcome that bias - let alone the MWC schools public fan bases and alumni groups.

But one can hope.
                            Did you go to USD also? Just wondering with the Torero in your name.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Did you go to USD also? Just wondering with the Torero in your name.
                              Yes. USD for undergrad and SDSU for grad school.

Comment

• Since the western option appears to be a no-go, I think the AAC should go with:

UAB - As SubGod22 has mentioned, they are good at both sports. They have also recently invested in facilities and are in a small city in a football crazed state.
                                Liberty - I hate the baggage they bring but they have a large alumni population and athletic success
                                App State - Big football brand on the east coast for a small school. The Asheville MSA isn't as small as you'd think (2/3rds the size of Wichita) and they have alumni bases in Charlotte and Raleigh that watch religiously.
                                UNC Charlotte - Used to be good at basketball, school in a large city that fits the AAC profile. Their newish football team is actually good already, beating Duke earlier this year and in a competitive game at Illinois right now. No those aren't football schools but they are still P5 and with limited options, I think Charlotte makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X