No announcement yet.

Shockers and NIL deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not talking about the Shockers but all schools. When do we see athletes refusing to sign autographs without some compensation?

Comment

• Tom Brady inks NIL deals with top college athletes through forthcoming apparel brand

"You know his last name, now get to know his game. Jackson State Freshman Starting Quarterback Shedeur Sanders is redefining what legacy looks like," the Brady Brand wrote on Instagram.

Along with the Jackson State star, the Brady Brand announced NIL deals with Michigan quarterback Cade McNamara, Villanova men’s basketball player Jermaine Samuels Jr., Maryland men’s basketball player Julian Reese, Michigan men’s tennis player Andrew Fenty, Georgia wide receiver George Pickens, Coastal Carolina quarterback Grayson McCall, Louisville baseball player Henry Davis, Boston College hockey player Jack St. Ivany and UCLA men’s tennis player Patrick Zahrag.

Comment

• Did anyone enjoy the college football championship game between Georgia and Alabama? Probably few did and even more couldn't have cared less.
        these matchups will be the norm in college athletics for at least the next decade or longer if these nil rules don't changed or a new athletic association is not developed for schools with less than 100 million in athletic revenue.
        Otherwise, here are your top 20 football and basketball programs from this point forward.

Comment

• I would have cared (watched) if a Non P-5 (Cincy) made it to the big game. The big money schools don't interest me in any way shape or form. It's just too easy for them.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• File it under be careful what you wish for. Everyone clamored that student athletes need to be paid with no transfer restrictions. I'm afraid we won't be able to compete in these arms races, particularly at a time when the AD is broke and former big time donors have walked away. Under the current environment I'm not sure how we compete at the level we became accustomed to.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
              File it under be careful what you wish for. Everyone clamored that student athletes need to be paid with no transfer restrictions. I'm afraid we won't be able to compete in these arms races, particularly at a time when the AD is broke and former big time donors have walked away. Under the current environment I'm not sure how we compete at the level we became accustomed to.
              While living in Austin, I became a longhorn football only fan. But I still hate the nil deal. Former players formed a non profit taking donations for advertising charity organizations. Current players get paid for appearing or speaking in support of those charities though this non profit. That's how they are paying the 50k to offensive line

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

While living in Austin, I became a longhorn football only fan. But I still hate the nil deal. Former players formed a non profit taking donations for advertising charity organizations. Current players get paid for appearing or speaking in support of those charities though this non profit. That's how they are paying the 50k to offensive line
                Smart move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

50K doesn't touch the NIL money spent by aTm on their most recent recruiting class. Estimates of 30M.

Comment

• I think NIL was a good move. With that said, like before, there are going to be schools who still essentially pay players. I don’t think it’ll widen the gap because it wasn’t like the top prospects weren’t going to the P5 before NIL. In basketball, there are only so many scholarships. Football is a bit different.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

50K doesn't touch the NIL money spent by aTm on their most recent recruiting class. Estimates of 30M.
                      You are correct. But most of the big money goes to backfield players. Big/uglies don't get much, and 50k is just a start. Players can still go out and get deals independent of this charity group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                        I think NIL was a good move. With that said, like before, there are going to be schools who still essentially pay players. I don’t think it’ll widen the gap because it wasn’t like the top prospects weren’t going to the P5 before NIL. In basketball, there are only so many scholarships. Football is a bit different.
                        It was a great move for 20-30 schools with multiple big time donners. The others will never see a playoff run in football or NCAA run in basketball in the near future. Give it 4 years and at least 300 schools will be crying foul, including some of the P5 schools.
                        Last edited by Atxshoxfan; January 12, 2022, 04:40 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

• March Madness 2022: Women's and men's Sweet Sixteen players are heavily involved in NIL deals - ESPN

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-.../_/id/33589255

"...According to data from Opendorse, women's basketball players have earned the second-most compensation of all NIL deals (19%), only behind college football players (51%) and ahead of men's college basketball players (15%)...."

NILData_TotalCompensation_ByConference_February2022-980x1225.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                            March Madness 2022: Women's and men's Sweet Sixteen players are heavily involved in NIL deals - ESPN

"...According to data from Opendorse, women's basketball players have earned the second-most compensation of all NIL deals (19%), only behind college football players (51%) and ahead of men's college basketball players (15%)...."

Some D2/D3 conferences paying above the lower-end D1s is interesting.
                            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

March Madness 2022: Women's and men's Sweet Sixteen players are heavily involved in NIL deals - ESPN

where is the mo' valley?

Comment

Some of these conferences probably only have one or two teams carrying the bulk of nil deals. So I'm not sure of the relevance by conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X