Shockers and NIL deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State Launches ALTITUDE to Prepare Athletes for NIL

Wichita State Athletics announced today the launch of ALTITUDE powered by Opendorse, the market-leading Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) readiness program.

Comment

• Not being negative, but I wonder how many credit hours/classes student athletes can take/get regarding how to market themselves. I'm probably looking at all this totally wrong, but normal class loads plus time spent in their athletic endeavors, plus marketing themselves. Is there enough time in the day/night to do all this without it being part of the "curriculum"?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Not being negative, but I wonder how many credit hours/classes student athletes can take/get regarding how to market themselves. I'm probably looking at all this totally wrong, but normal class loads plus time spent in their athletic endeavors, plus marketing themselves. Is there enough time in the day/night to do all this without it being part of the "curriculum"?
        Not in the sense in the "normal" times a lot of us grew up with back in the late 1800's...but yeah...kid's can get a lot these days! Everything is free pretty much.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Wichita State Launches ALTITUDE to Prepare Athletes for NIL

Wichita State Athletics announced today the launch of ALTITUDE powered by Opendorse, the market-leading Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) readiness program.

This is kind of funny. While schools are finding big donors to sign talented recruits to $1m NIL deals, WSU is offering a "course".

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

This is kind of funny. While schools are finding big donors to sign talented recruits to $1m NIL deals, WSU is offering a "course".
            One of those things is legal, the other isn't

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

… and one is “playing in the pig slop” (another one of coach Marshall’s one-liners), while the other isn’t…
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Could be opportunities for Sports Management majors, possibly even internship opportunities.

Comment

• If some if these kids are getting millions to play college ball, I guarantee there is room for agents to be involved

Comment

Sure it is. What was illegal is now legal. Memphis is bragging about their NIL deals are paying 7 figures for their two newest recruits. The face of college basketball has changed.

Comment

• Tomorrow we get every single interested business in Wichita to start a sponsorship campaign for our recruiting payments. We need to be able to walk up to each player and make it clear what a player could potentially take down while at Wichita. We need to be early and often. Wichita State Basketball is VERY important to this community. I could see several million a year in payments raised quite easily.

DISCLAIMER: I know little about how NIL works, but apparently... you just pay players.

Bonuses for POW, POY, leading scorer; team bonuses for conference finish.

Comment

Seems to be what most schools are doing. Looks to be pretty smart. Teach the kids how to stay out of trouble and it will keep the school out of trouble, help them navigate the waters and give them skills beyond the court.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Seems to be what most schools are doing. Looks to be pretty smart. Teach the kids how to stay out of trouble and it will keep the school out of trouble, help them navigate the waters and give them skills beyond the court.
                          I see what you did there.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Sure it is. What was illegal is now legal. Memphis is bragging about their NIL deals are paying 7 figures for their two newest recruits. The face of college basketball has changed.
                            Memphis doesn't mind having "asterick" seasons .. it's a badge of honor for them

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                              Tomorrow we get every single interested business in Wichita to start a sponsorship campaign for our recruiting payments. We need to be able to walk up to each player and make it clear what a player could potentially take down while at Wichita. We need to be early and often. Wichita State Basketball is VERY important to this community. I could see several million a year in payments raised quite easily.

DISCLAIMER: I know little about how NIL works, but apparently... you just pay players.

Bonuses for POW, POY, leading scorer; team bonuses for conference finish.
                              Official rules say no payments can be tied directly to a player attending a particular college and can't be directly based on performance. The offer has to be valid no matter where and how they play.

Now will they do anything about that? Probably depends on which school does it like always.

Comment

Official rules say no payments can be tied directly to a player attending a particular college and can't be directly based on performance. The offer has to be valid no matter where and how they play.

Now will they do anything about that? Probably depends on which school does it like always.
                                So many schools will flagrantly violate that, that it will be impossible to go after all of them. OPINION: The NCAA is going to hold on as long as they can keep getting the huge payout from the tourney, but they're basically useless any more. They may not ever get around to finishing up the investigation of KU's 5 Level 1 infractions.

Comment

Working...
                                X