No announcement yet.

2021 WSU transfers starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next season isn't the time to kick the tires on some new PGs and rebuild that position. Etienne is a junior, Dennis and Udeze are seniors. We are in a "win now" situation, not a "build for the future" situation.

I'd take a year-wiser AG in a heartbeat.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      The biggest reason why AG is a no brainer to keep (if he wants to come back ) is HE IS LITERALLY A FREE PLAYER (figuratively, not actually free, still gotta pay for his scholarship). We can go over the scholarship limit to bring him back. It's an absolute no brainer to bring back an all conference player when you can still get someone in with multiple years remaining too. The only reason you would remotely consider not brining him back is if you had an elite PG ready to sign that only has a year left and will only sign without AG here. Though to be fair, if that's the case we should be challenging if that PG is the right player if he's not ok with competition.

You are very very very unlikely to sign an young PG that will have the impact on the game that AG would have next year.
      I agree we are unlikely to find a young player who could impact the game the same way Gilbert could, at least from day one.

Gilbert returns plus we sign a young guy who will take over the reins next year or as the season goes on is one plausible option.

I don’t necessarily agree that we should be worried about a grad transfer who wouldn’t want to come here and compete with another grad transfer. It’s their last go around and I wouldn’t blame them for holding out for the right situation - one where they can play a lot, compete for championships and play in the NCAA tourney.

That’s why winning the conference championship AND making the NCAA, despite the loss, was so important this year. It put WSU in a position to sell itself as a team that is one or two players away from doing those same things again next year, maybe even more.

My biggest question mark is what do we value more, experience or skill? Take the PG from Marshall that is in the portal. If he, or someone like him, is interested in coming to WSU would we rather have a guy like him who is, at least on paper, a better shooter than Gilbert while all other stats are almost identical, or would we prefer Gilbert who has the experience?

I think either way we are in a good position next year.

Comment

I’ll take a pro player on our roster in a heartbeat

Comment

That said, I don't think "not giving him the option" is an actual option. If he wants to come back, he will be back.
          I would agree with this. But I do think HCIB has the right and perhaps the obligation to let AG know that if he does come back that he has to be willing to accept some coaching and perhaps be willing to make some changes to how he runs the point. Now that assumes HCIB has some different thoughts on how he wants his point guard to operate. He may be perfectly happy with what he got from AG in that regard this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I would agree with this. But I do think HCIB has the right and perhaps the obligation to let AG know that if he does come back that he has to be willing to accept some coaching and perhaps be willing to make some changes to how he runs the point. Now that assumes HCIB has some different thoughts on how he wants his point guard to operate. He may be perfectly happy with what he got from AG in that regard this year.
            We always have the right to tell a player they can't come back. Just think in this situation, the optics of telling a player ... one that transferred here for his last year (at the time) in the middle of one of the most turbulent off seasons in our history would be a bad look. He was the domino that started the recruiting wins that allowed us to bounce back so quickly.

I do agree with your overall statement though. He has to agree to what HCIB has laid out for him to still play even if he does come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I’ll take a pro player on our roster in a heartbeat
              I'll pass. Shades of Bobby Brown
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
                Next season isn't the time to kick the tires on some new PGs and rebuild that position. Etienne is a junior, Dennis and Udeze are seniors. We are in a "win now" situation, not a "build for the future" situation.

I'd take a year-wiser AG in a heartbeat.
                I thought everybody repeated the same class next year

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Correct. Nobody burned a year of eligibility this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Correct. Nobody burned a year of eligibility this year.
                    Yep. The possible amount of grad transfers is gonna be way up the next 3 years or so since everyone basically had a redshirt year this year lol
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

AG’s area of improvement needs to be consistent focus on defense. His effort falls right when he needs to be locked-in. It happened in DFW and it happened in Indiana (the lack of effort on defense got Drake going in the second half).

Comment

Bringing AG back as an experienced guard (with both strengths and flaws) while still being able to fill his scholarship with someone to groom under him would be huge IMO.
                        This x1000
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                          The transfer portal is open wider than a Kardashian.
                          I should not have read that part of the post after taking a sip of whiskey. when that stuff comes out your nose, it can be painful.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

True, but if Etienne can elevate his bad games to the level of his moderate games, next year may be his last regardless. Dexter may not be around for more than one more year, too.
                            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Comment

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X