Rumbles of AG coming back

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      Dr Alterique Gilbert?

Comment

I wouldn't be shocked. He hasn't really got to experience college basketball, plus all the quotes from his family about finally being happy while playing. I could see him wanting to give it one more go before deciding to go overseas.

Comment

Bringing AG back as an experienced guard (with both strengths and flaws) while still being able to fill his scholarship with someone to groom under him would be huge IMO.

Comment

Can't wait for his third senior night.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Professor Gilbert would be a fine piece to our puzzle moving forward into next year. Dude should do what is best for himself. Either way we are good.

Comment

To be honest, AG moving on would be the best thing for both him and the program. It would allow him to start earning money in his pro career, but it would also allow WSU to look at available options for the future. I just don't see how him staying another year benefits us or him.

His ORtg in KenPom was 93.6, meaning for every 100 possessions he was involved in, he only helped generate 93.6 points. His win shares were 1.5 this year, putting him below Samajae Haynes-Jones his senior year at 2.2. He does some nice things, and he is capable, but he has not proven to be efficient at all. It's unfortunate, but I think it's best if he moves on. And if I'm HCIB, I don't give him the option to return.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  To be honest, AG moving on would be the best thing for both him and the program. It would allow him to start earning money in his pro career, but it would also allow WSU to look at available options for the future. I just don't see how him staying another year benefits us or him.

His ORtg in KenPom was 93.6, meaning for every 100 possessions he was involved in, he only helped generate 93.6 points. His win shares were 1.5 this year, putting him below Samajae Haynes-Jones his senior year at 2.2. He does some nice things, and he is capable, but he has not proven to be efficient at all. It's unfortunate, but I think it's best if he moves on. And if I'm HCIB, I don't give him the option to return.
                  It all depends on who else we get. As the roster is constructed right now, we are worse off without him. The key thing to remember is we get to fill his scholarship whether he leaves or not. So if we can land a really good freshman PG, then having that PG play behind AG and CP next year would be hugely beneficial as both of those two have different styles of games to learn from. If we can land a grad transfer PG then yes, AG might be a hindrance ... but if AG is willing to not be the alpha all year, he has a year in the program and might help speed the newcomer along.

Now there is a bit of the chicken or the egg thing here though. We probably wont know who we can land until after AG makes his decision, so we can't base "whether we give him the option" on who we are landing.

That said, I don't think "not giving him the option" is an actual option. If he wants to come back, he will be back.

Comment

Well IB has already said he hopes both guys stay....so......
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

A team with massive turnover in players and coaching staff wins the conference and gets an at large bid. Yeah, let's run all those ****ers off.

Comment

Hopefully, with:

- a full off season
                        - finally playing a full season
                        - gaining continuity with the roster
                        - finally being in a good mental state

We get to see something closer to the Burger Boy version of AG.
                        The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerLurker View Post
                          A team with massive turnover in players and coaching staff wins the conference and gets an at large bid. Yeah, let's run all those ****ers off.
                          We were lower in predictive metrics this year than in any other year since 2009. We won the conference championship because of an unbalanced schedule (and again, no shame in that, but let's all acknowledge reality...we didn't have to play Memphis more than once and we didn't play SMU at all, even if it was their fault). I'm not speaking to the fault of these things or the validity of our championship, but speaking to the quality of our team and the results we produced.

What's a better option, a freshman or incoming transfer with multiple years of eligibility and potential or a player who has one year left and has proven to be inefficient at a very important position?

Comment

We were lower in predictive metrics this year than in any other year since 2009. We won the conference championship because of an unbalanced schedule (and again, no shame in that, but let's all acknowledge reality...we didn't have to play Memphis more than once and we didn't play SMU at all, even if it was their fault). I'm not speaking to the fault of these things or the validity of our championship, but speaking to the quality of our team and the results we produced.

What's a better option, a freshman or incoming transfer with multiple years of eligibility and potential or a player who has one year left and has proven to be inefficient at a very important position?
                            Would you say we were better at the PG position last year or 2019-2020? I'll hang up and listen...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Would you say we were better at the PG position last year or 2019-2020? I'll hang up and listen...
                              Our two point guards last season, Burton and Sherfield, were better in the following categories:

Offensive Rating
                              Win Shares

Jamarius was better in Box Plus/Minus (4.3 to 2.5) and Sherfield was 2.2 in Box Plus/Minus compared to AG's 2.5. Between the two of them, they averaged +3.25 BPM compared to AG's +2.5.

So yes, our point guard position was better last season.

Comment

Only he knows what is best for him, and the most any of us can do is speculate on what is best for the WSU program. We don't know if he has professional aspirations or if a grad degree is more important to him. He has stated he is happy here but would moving on be a better choice...only he can answer that. If he wants to return and its mutual, I am for it. If either party declines, I am for it. I see how AG returning could be a fantastic thing for both parties. He continues his education, and WSU has a PG ready to take the court. If a challenger pushes him for minutes, and it diminishes his pro chances, he made the right decision academically to prepare him for his future life with another degree. If he dominates, he increase his pro potential. I don't see either of those being a negative. He is probably more court ready than any freshman that would take his scholarship. More PG's are needed and should be signed, but unless they are in a position to make AG ride the bench, let them develop while he runs the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X