Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong thread. NM.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

I know you're taking a shot at me because you feel superior for some reason, probably because I have relatively few posts here. I get it. New guy is an idiot. The point of the post is that the guy FINDS SHOOTERS. Did WSU even have one who hit close to 40% this year? Judging by the numbers I shared, WSU has ONE player who meets that standard. TE shot 39% on 166 attempts. Everyone else was in the 40s on attempts. There were some 40%s, but they had minimal attempts.
      WSU is also not facing DII defenses or style of play. For reference:

7 teams in the MIAA (Northwest Missouri State's conference) shot better from 3 than the best 3-point shooting team in the AAC (Houston).

7 teams in the MIAA allowed had worse 3-point shooting defense than the worst 3-point defensive team in the AAC (Tulane).

It is a level of basketball where 3-pointers are less contested, so even though Northwest Missouri State was particularly good even for their conference, that doesn't mean that any of it translates at all to high level DI basketball.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

WSU is also not facing DII defenses or style of play. For reference:

7 teams in the MIAA (Northwest Missouri State's conference) shot better from 3 than the best 3-point shooting team in the AAC (Houston).

7 teams in the MIAA allowed had worse 3-point shooting defense than the worst 3-point defensive team in the AAC (Tulane).

It is a level of basketball where 3-pointers are less contested, so even though Northwest Missouri State was particularly good even for their conference, that doesn't mean that any of it translates at all to high level DI basketball.
        Right. It also does not mean it doesn't translate. Hiring a guy, as an assistant and director of the offense, as I suggested originally, is not firing anyone. It's trying to bring in some new blood who has had success. It shouldn't matter where he has had success, should it? All the stones need to be turned over to find the best. What is the biggest knock on WSU's offense? It stagnates and the ball gets stuck with one guy or everyone else just stands. My reasoning for liking this guy is that his offense does not do that. I never said the guy needed to be the next HC. I said I thought he would be an interesting option as an assistant with designs on the offense.

Comment

I know you're taking a shot at me because you feel superior for some reason, probably because I have relatively few posts here. I get it. New guy is an idiot. The point of the post is that the guy FINDS SHOOTERS. Not only does he find shooters, he runs a system that plays to all their strengths and works efficiently. Did WSU even have one who hit close to 40% this year? Judging by the numbers I shared, WSU has ONE player who meets that standard. TE shot 39% on 166 attempts. Everyone else was in the 40s on attempts. There were some 40%s, but they had minimal attempts.
          I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to take a shot at you. Definitely don’t feel superior, I was just wishing we had a couple more knock down shooters too.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to take a shot at you. Definitely don’t feel superior, I was just wishing we had a couple more knock down shooters too.
            My apologies for that false accusation. I'm frustrated because WSU has been running this stand-around offense for years now. They either have a ball-stopper at PG, or guys who drive the lane then don't know what to do when they get there. There is no movement. When they were making deep tourney runs, they were the consummate ball movement/extra pass team. They haven't been that way in years. I want to see the ball move, I want to see the offense move, I want to see them find wide open shots. This is the reason I'm way outside the box on finding ways to make that happen. And, no, I don't think IB is the guy to make that happen. Also, I thought WSU had no choice but to part with Marshall for full disclosure. This program needs something new, not just recycled 3G coaches and philosophy. The offense has been pretty gross for a while now.

Comment

My apologies for that false accusation. I'm frustrated because WSU has been running this stand-around offense for years now. They either have a ball-stopper at PG, or guys who drive the lane then don't know what to do when they get there. There is no movement. When they were making deep tourney runs, they were the consummate ball movement/extra pass team. They haven't been that way in years. I want to see the ball move, I want to see the offense move, I want to see them find wide open shots. This is the reason I'm way outside the box on finding ways to make that happen. And, no, I don't think IB is the guy to make that happen. Also, I thought WSU had no choice but to part with Marshall for full disclosure. This program needs something new, not just recycled 3G coaches and philosophy. The offense has been pretty gross for a while now.
              The farther we get away from it, the more I wonder how much of that ball movement/extra pass team was solely due to having Fred Van Vleet as the PG ....

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The farther we get away from it, the more I wonder how much of that ball movement/extra pass team was solely due to having Fred Van Vleet as the PG ....
                No doubt there is truth to that but we have obviously had success pre and post Freddy. I wholeheartedly agree with the above concerns about the offense. Our offense only works with a stud at the 1 and guys who can knock down open looks. We have athletes. We just have to get better shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

No doubt there is truth to that but we have obviously had success pre and post Freddy. I wholeheartedly agree with the above concerns about the offense. Our offense only works with a stud at the 1 and guys who can knock down open looks. We have athletes. We just have to get better shots.
                  Pre Freddy we had one 5 seed upset (and an NIT championship). Post Freddy, we had an NBA PG still in Landry and kinda underachieved overall. Our true deep runs (Final Four, Sweet 16, plus the undefeated season) were all with Fred at the helm.
                  Last edited by Stickboy46; March 25, 2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Not gonna lie, I'd take a player or two with a little less athleticism and a pure stroke over getting nothing but great athletes and hoping a few develop consistent shots.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Not gonna lie, I'd take a player or two with a little less athleticism and a pure stroke over getting nothing but great athletes and hoping a few develop consistent shots.
                      We ideally need both. We need the athletes that can get in the lane and finish or pass out to the ones that are just knock down shooters. Right now our knock down shooter is also the one that needs to get into the lane.

Comment

Pre Freddy we had one 5 seed upset (and an NIT championship). Post Freddy, we had an NBA PG still in Landry and kinda underachieved overall. Our true deep runs (Final Four, Sweet 16, plus the undefeated season) were all with Fred at the helm.
                        Good points. Also, we looked like crap the year Fred was out with an injury at the beginning of the season. FVV is the GOAT for sure. I'm on board with all the concerns about needing a different system and shot makers.

But making shots typically comes from getting good shots. That's the key. And can we get away from the hand-off at the top corner? What's that all about? It just burns time.

Comment

I would say that the team with Landry at the helm, under achieved at least least partially because of the offense they were forced to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

I would say that the team with Landry at the helm, under achieved at least least partially because of the offense they were forced to run.
                            Malcolm was at the helm for the Final 4 run. Easy to remember the ending but that was a bumpy season, and yes, Fred did play a role, but Malcolm drove the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Malcolm was at the helm for the Final 4 run. Easy to remember the ending but that was a bumpy season, and yes, Fred did play a role, but Malcolm drove the bus.
                              Agree, Malcom drove the bus and Fred sat right behind him...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Yes Fred was the architect of the 34-0 run (#1 NCAA Seed), Sweet 16 (beat KU), and beating #6 Arizona in the first round (after a Vandy Play in game).

Comment

Working...
                                X