Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shock View Post

Yeah Landry and Austin running point were definitely not the reason that team went down.
    It’s kind of similar to the Drake game this year where we got zero combined points from Tyson, Ricky, and Monzy.

In the game against Marshall, Austin and Zack Brown combined for zero points and Rashard had four in a six point loss.

Landry had 11 points, 8 assists, 4 boards against Marshall. Pretty solid game even if he was capable of scoring more.

We couldn’t stop Marshall on defense which was a common theme for that Wichita State team all year.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

No idea what you’re talking about with AAC/ACC comparison, you’ll have to jog my memory. I definitely never said WSU would destroy Drake/Loyola.

Lowly Drake and Loyola? Huh? Drake gave USC its best challenge until Gonzaga. Loyola team that went to the sweet 16. They were two very good teams.

I like good players at all positions. I’m not concerned with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 designations.

Fred plays a lot of 2 in the NBA so I guess he’s not a true point anymore.

Landry led his team to a top 10 ranking and a 4 seed in the NCAA but they got beat by Marshall so he must not have been a true point guard. Hey, Chris Paul’s Wake Forest team didn’t make it out of the first round in his final year so I guess he’s not a PG either.
      Anecdotal, huh? Whewww...

I'm not gonna' go research for something you clearly posted about the ACC, to me (online). I was there. I saw it. It. Spoke. For. Itself. It practically defied reality, like Unicorns do. Now you're applying that same misconceived rationale to the need, or, "who really needs em," for a good "point guard."

Please, for everyone, stop with the who needs a point guard argument, and contribute something intelligent about who is going to be WSU's primary ball-handler next year. How's that work for 'ya? I just can't participate much more in such an unintelligent and pugnacious dialogue.
      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 17, 2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Based on IB's comments so far, I would expect that Porter will be our starter at point and will only play the point. I don't know how many mpg Porter gets, but the remaining point guard minutes will be taken by Etienne and Grant, both of whom will also combine cover the vast majority of the shooting guard minutes.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Landry was an NBA caliber guard. Just because he could handle the point, does not mean we want regular 2 guards switching over to run our point. The offense stalled when Conner he tried to play point, which is why Landry was moved over. All that said, I do think Tyson is another 2 guard type that could be an effective PG here.
          We'll see, as far as Tyson goes. It might work, if we can't find someone to replace Gilbert.

I'm not saying it can't.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Anecdotal, huh? Whewww...

I'm not gonna' go research for something you clearly posted about the ACC, to me (online). I was there. I saw it. It. Spoke. For. Itself. It practically defied reality, like Unicorns do. Now you're applying that same misconceived rationale to the need, or, "who really needs em," for a good "point guard."
            Translation: You are making this supposed conversation up or had it with another poster.

Please, for everyone, stop with the who needs a point guard argument, and contribute something intelligent about who is going to be WSU's primary ball-handler next year. How's that work for 'ya? I just can't participate much more in such an unintelligent premise.
            My guess is that Craig, Tyson, and Qua will handle that duty.

My original point still stands. I am glad we will have multiple guys on the court who can handle, create, pass and score.

Comment

It’s kind of similar to the Drake game this year where we got zero combined points from Tyson, Ricky, and Monzy.

In the game against Marshall, Austin and Zack Brown combined for zero points and Rashard had four in a six point loss.

Landry had 11 points, 8 assists, 4 boards against Marshall. Pretty solid game even if he was capable of scoring more.

We couldn’t stop Marshall on defense which was a common theme for that Wichita State team all year.
              It wasn't much of a conversation. Kinda like this one, you just sort of butted in with an unbelievably rash and stupid comment. We get it; you believe point guards are a figment of basketball lore.

What part of 27-7 OFF OF TURNOVERS do you not comprehend? Pretty solid game from Landry? What'd he shoot from the field? Who led the team in turnovers? Do unicorns really exist?

CURSE.jpg
              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 17, 2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Barring the signing of a 4-5* high school pg, Porter will be the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  Barring the signing of a 4-5* high school pg, Porter will be the starter.
                  Most probably. Qua is gonna' get a shot too.

That is, as you stated, unless Brown brings in a good young 4-5* point guard (it's possible).

Comment

Most probably.

Qua is gonna' get a shot. That is, as you stated, unless Brown brings in a good young 4-5* point guard (it's possible).
                    I honestly think it's more likely that Qua backs up TE and likely splits some time at the 1 with Porter. I think it's Porter's to lose going in to the year.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I honestly think it's more likely that Qua backs up TE and likely splits some time at the 1 with Porter. I think it's Porter's to lose going in to the year.
                      He definitely showed promise early, but faded. He lacked confidence in March. Couldn't hit shots, and dribbled straight into trouble, in limited minutes.

The videos of Qua and the Athletic scout on him point to a player who can get to the hole in the half court. From the Athletic article: "His-off-the-dribble-game is what really pops on tape. He made 64 of 102 shots at the basket in the half court (emphasis mine) per Synergy. That's impressive for 6' guard, no matter the level."

Comment

He definitely showed promise early, but faded. He lacked confidence in March. Couldn't hit shots, and dribbled straight into trouble, in limited minutes.
                        True. But Qua has a career assist average of 2.7 with an A/TO ratio of 1.14 at D2. I think Porter is more of a true PG. No knock on Qua just going off the numbers and what I've seen.

Comment

I could see TE getting more of the PG minutes than Qua potentially.

Comment

It's WSU's biggest ??? next year.

I definitely believe Brown will address it in the right manner. I'm not worried. And he still might bring in a 4* (unlikely, maybe).

Comment

It wasn't much of a conversation. Kinda like this one, you just sort of butted in with an unbelievably rash and stupid comment. We get it; you believe point guards are a figment of basketball lore.

What part of 27-7 OFF OF TURNOVERS do you not comprehend? Pretty solid game from Landry? What'd he shoot from the field? Who led the team in turnovers? Do unicorns really exist?
                              Landry had 4 turnovers which led the team. That’s too many TO’s but it’s not like an OMG eye popping amount. He still had a 2/1 A/TO ratio that game.

He didn’t shoot well either. Is that the only criteria you look at to determine how well someone played?

You keep mentioning the points off turnovers like it’s the piece de resistance. Points off turnovers is more reflective of the defense than offense. 15-9 turnovers is not great, obviously you want to win that battle as often as possible, but it’s not as shocking as 27-7 OFF OF TURNOVERS would lead you to believe.

We shot poorly and lost the turnover battle. Add in the fact that team was defensively one of the worst in the Marshall era and you have a recipe for an upset.

Comment

Landry had 4 turnovers which led the team. That’s too many TO’s but it’s not like an OMG eye popping amount. He still had a 2/1 A/TO ratio that game.

He didn’t shoot well either. Is that the only criteria you look at to determine how well someone played?

You keep mentioning the points off turnovers like it’s the piece de resistance. Points off turnovers is more reflective of the defense than offense. 15-9 turnovers is not great, obviously you want to win that battle as often as possible, but it’s not as shocking as 27-7 OFF OF TURNOVERS would lead you to believe.

We shot poorly and lost the turnover battle. Add in the fact that team was defensively one of the worst in the Marshall era and you have a recipe for an upset.
                                And...?

What a bore.

Comment

Working...
                                X