No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. UCF Pregame Discussion 2-10-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seem to be a lot of posters wanting to blame every problem on Brown. Or maybe it's just a few who note their hatred too often.

Here's another possible explanation - the shooting %'s of the starters followed by their 3FG %

AG - 32.1, 26.2
    TE - 40, 40.4
    DD - 33.3, 28.4
    TW - 38.9, 14.2
    MU - 62.0, 0.0

An offense is never going to be run smoothly when there are only two guys who are threats to score. Defenses are always going to cheat off of Gilbert, Wade, and Dennis from the perimeter, which allows them to double Etienne, keep a man on Udeze and stop a baseline drive from the corner on the ball handler's side. There's pretty much ALWAYS one guy a defense can simply ignore.

Pretty tough to run an efficient offense when the defense only has to (or wants to) cover 2 guys. The FG% of Gilbert, Dennis, and Wade isn't the result of poorly run offensive sets. Those guys are getting plenty of open looks. They're getting open looks because opposing defenses want them to have open looks.

There's been criticism of Etienne's shot selection and even some rumblings of low BBIQ. Etienne taking a bad shot is still more likely to go in than a good shot from 2 or 3 other guys on the floor. So, is it low BBIQ to take a shot that may not be the best from a shot selection viewpoint? Or is it high BBIQ to take a bad shot that's more likely to go in than passing it to an open player who is likely to take the shot, but less likely to make it?
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      Seem to be a lot of posters wanting to blame every problem on Brown. Or maybe it's just a few who note their hatred too often.
      I saw one post mentioning coaching miscues. Otherwise, all posts were pointed at where the blame lies on this team. The players obviously coach themselves and they should shoulder the blame for any poor play.

Comment

Here's another possible explanation - the shooting %'s of the starters followed by their 3FG %

AG - 32.1, 26.2
        TE - 40, 40.4
        DD - 33.3, 28.4
        TW - 38.9, 14.2
        MU - 62.0, 0.0

An offense is never going to be run smoothly when there are only two guys who are threats to score. Defenses are always going to cheat off of Gilbert, Wade, and Dennis from the perimeter, which allows them to double Etienne, keep a man on Udeze and stop a baseline drive from the corner on the ball handler's side. There's pretty much ALWAYS one guy a defense can simply ignore.

Pretty tough to run an efficient offense when the defense only has to (or wants to) cover 2 guys. The FG% of Gilbert, Dennis, and Wade isn't the result of poorly run offensive sets. Those guys are getting plenty of open looks. They're getting open looks because opposing defenses want them to have open looks.

There's been criticism of Etienne's shot selection and even some rumblings of low BBIQ. Etienne taking a bad shot is still more likely to go in than a good shot from 2 or 3 other guys on the floor. So, is it low BBIQ to take a shot that may not be the best from a shot selection viewpoint? Or is it high BBIQ to take a bad shot that's more likely to go in than passing it to an open player who is likely to take the shot, but less likely to make it?
        I agree. Its pretty clear that some of these starters are not pulling their weight on the offense or defense. We should expect more out of veteran players.

Comment

AG - 32.1, 26.2
          TE - 40, 40.4
          DD - 33.3, 28.4
          TW - 38.9, 14.2
          MU - 62.0, 0.0

Comment

AG - 32.1, 26.2
            TE - 40, 40.4
            DD - 33.3, 28.4
            TW - 38.9, 14.2
            MU - 62.0, 0.0

Admittedly, we need Wade, Gilbert, and Dennis to shoot better more consistently to reach our ceiling but our offense isn’t the problem.

Comment

Also Trey Wade is shooting 26% from three on the season which isn’t great either but is much better than the 14.2% you have listed.

He is also shooting much better as of late. In AAC games he is at 33% which I will take all day from him.

Comment

AG - 32.1, 26.2
                TE - 40, 40.4
                DD - 33.3, 28.4
                TW - 38.9, 14.2
                MU - 62.0, 0.0

Dex is the hard one to understand. He seems to have a fragile psyche so you would expect him to play better this year. When he struggled last year many thought it was Coach Marshall's demanding ways and quick hook when the players messed up that caused his issues. Coach IB is the total opposite and never seems to be upset about much. He certainly doesn't yell at the guys or publicly get on them when they play bad basketball. Yet Dex is rebounding poorly and his shooting percentage is worse than last year. His defense is still good for the most part but it was the first 2 years as well. If there was one player I would expect to thrive under Coach IB's coaching style it is Dex.
                I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  I think the coaching miscues will catch up with us too.

Still can’t believe we defended the paint with half a second left up 3. That’s mind numbing.
                  If you don't defend there, it leaves open an easy alley oop with almost no time coming off the clock, setting up a possible in bounds steal and game winning shot attempt.

Comment

@UCF, @SMU this week. Both are Q2 games.

1-1 and I think we’re still in the hunt for an at large and first or second in the American although our margin of error remains thin.

2-0 and I’ll feel really good about our chances. Although neither win is good enough to solidify anything they would at least give us some breathing room.

0-2 still not out of at large picture but would basically have to win the rest of the games on the schedule which is obviously a lot to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

If you don't defend there, it leaves open an easy alley oop with almost no time coming off the clock, setting up a possible in bounds steal and game winning shot attempt.
                      This, plus, if you watched the play instead of listening to the announcer, the Shox defenders followed every player they were guarding. If a player went to the 3-point line they were guarded at the 3-point line. A player doesn't have to be at the 3-point line at the start of the play in order to defend a shot from there as the play develops.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

AG - 32.1, 26.2
                        TE - 40, 40.4
                        DD - 33.3, 28.4
                        TW - 38.9, 14.2
                        MU - 62.0, 0.0

For clarification (assuming this IS a problem): So who is to blame for this starting lineup?

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

For clarification (assuming this IS a problem): So who is to blame for this starting lineup?
                            I’ve been thinking about the starting lineup lately and if/how I would change it.

Tyson and Mo aren’t going anywhere.

I’ve tried to get Jackson in for Wade but Trey is actually playing pretty well right now, IMO, and as much as I like Jackson is he’s a bit of a loose cannon.

It’s hard to imagine taking Gilbert out although I’m beginning to believe he is responsible for a significant portion of our defensive and rebounding woes. I’m just not sure Porter has shown enough ability to get the offense going to replace him yet but he’s a more consistent defender and rebounder, IMO.

Council for Dexter might make the most sense but then that leaves our second unit without much of a scoring threat outside of Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’ve been thinking about the starting lineup lately and if/how I would change it.

Tyson and Mo aren’t going anywhere.

I’ve tried to get Jackson in for Wade but Trey is actually playing pretty well right now, IMO, and as much as I like Jackson is he’s a bit of a loose cannon.

It’s hard to imagine taking Gilbert out although I’m beginning to believe he is responsible for a significant portion of our defensive and rebounding woes. I’m just not sure Porter has shown enough ability to get the offense going to replace him yet but he’s a more consistent defender and rebounder, IMO.

Council for Dexter might make the most sense but then that leaves our second unit without much of a scoring threat outside of Jackson.
                              Council is not a significant enough upgrade on offense to account for the downgrade in defense when pulling Dexter out. Dexter will be in as much as he wants because he shuts down the other teams #1 option WAY more than not.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Council is not a significant enough upgrade on offense to account for the downgrade in defense when pulling Dexter out. Dexter will be in as much as he wants because he shuts down the other teams #1 option WAY more than not.
                                Yeah, that makes sense and Dexter’s offense is trending up lately too.

Ricky has also been a much better rebounder so far but we know Dexter is capable of more, he just needs to do it.

I was particularly disappointed in a few of his checkouts against Tulane. Not good to see from a third year player but I suppose no one is perfect.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes, he did grab what might be the most important offensive rebound of the year against Tulane which led to the biggest bucket of the year - Tyson’s and 1 that put us up two. He just needs to do that more often.

Comment

Working...
                                X