Wichita State vs. UCF Pregame Discussion 2-10-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. UCF Pregame Discussion 2-10-21

WICHITA STATE (11-4, 7-2) vs UCF (5-9, 3-8)
    WEDNESDAY, FEB 10, 2021 | 6:00 P.M. CT
    ORLANDO, FL / ADDITION FINANCIAL ARENA
    TV: ESPN+
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM (GoShockers.com/Listen)
    LAST MEETING: JANUARY 30, 2021. WSU 93 - UCF 88 OT
    GAME RECAP:
    Tyson Etienne matched his season-high with 29 points and became the fastest Shocker to 100 career threes as Wichita State rallied past UCF in overtime, 93-88, at Charles Koch Arena.

Helped by Etienne's timely shooting and its full-court press, WSU (9-4, 5-2) erased an eight-point deficit in the final 3:55 of regulation and rallied again from five-down in overtime.

Etienne connected on 5-of-10 shots from beyond the arc, including the go-ahead basket with 1:03 to play in OT. It was his 100th career three, in just his 44th game, breaking Landry Shamet's school record (50 games).

The Shockers forced 23 turnovers, including five over the final 3:12 in regulation and three more in the extra period.

Brandon Mahan and Jamille Reynolds scored 17-each for UCF (4-7, 2-6), which shot 57.4 percent from the field but missed five of its last six shots in OT.

WSU shot 46.2 percent and knocked down 10-of-30 from three and 23-of-33 at the foul line.

Helped by a plus-10 margin, the Shockers outscored UCF 33-10 off of turnovers.

Morris Udeze reached double-digit scoring for the fourth consecutive game, converting 8-of-9 attempts from the field for 18 points. His 32 minutes were a career-high.

Reserve forward Clarence Jackson scored five of his 13 points in overtime to go with a team-high eight rebounds.

Alterique Gilbert stacked 12 points with seven assists and tallied four of the Shockers' 12 steals.

Dexter Dennis supplied another 12 points, giving WSU five double-figure scorers for the first time this season.

I hope we continue winning but as much as I hate it, I think our year will not end well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
      I hope we continue winning but as much as I hate it, I think our year will not end well.
      Based on what?

Comment

I agree and stated before the Temple game that we would begin a slide and difficult finish to the season AFTER
        a win against Temple. Could very well start Wednesday. We just don't look as good as our record and I believe
        our record will soon catch up with our average play. To continue our winning ways TE has to maintain his play and
        most of the others must play better with one or two really stepping it up. I think that is possible with DD, we'll see.
        AG has to start playing better defense and hit a higher %. The team has to start moving and sharing the ball and,
        of course, rebounding has to improve. I have my doubts and am keeping my expectations in line with what I have
        been seeing so far. If we do slide as I expect then what? The good news is we could return everyone. The bad
        news is we could return everyone.

Comment

In my opinion I think in order for this team to have any chance of beating UCF in Orlando the veteran players on this team are going to have to step up. The basketball IQ will need to be sharp. Anybody that fails to block out on a rebound has to sit down. They have to make shots, play defense and not turn the ball over. Just trying to be honest.

Comment

Biggest game of the year coming up. With 3 of our next 4 against SMU, Houston, and Memphis, this is as must-win as they come. It will be interesting to see what HCIB plans. We broke out that new press to jump start our victory last weekend. Surely UCF will have a plan to handle it this time around. I could see us getting into some more zone this game as UCF is not a good shooting team whatsoever. Regardless, just win!

Comment

Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
              Biggest game of the year coming up. With 3 of our next 4 against SMU, Houston, and Memphis, this is as must-win as they come. It will be interesting to see what HCIB plans. We broke out that new press to jump start our victory last weekend. Surely UCF will have a plan to handle it this time around. I could see us getting into some more zone this game as UCF is not a good shooting team whatsoever. Regardless, just win!
              " Just win baby "

Comment

We're going back in time for this one
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Fixed. LMAO
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Comment

I’m afraid this will be the start of our regression towards our expected mean. Thrilled to be wrong though.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Based on what?
                        Well, I thought we were improving in December and January. We played pretty well against Tulsa (twice), Cincinnati, and Houston (for 30 minutes), but since then, we’ve been hanging on and winning, while going backward. We aren’t rebounding or playing good, disciplined team offense. Our defense is ok but certainly not stifling. We will see but we have several challenging games coming up, and I’m concerned. I don’t think we will end up with a losing record, but if we play like we are currently, we won’t end up in 2nd place. I hope I’m wrong.

Comment

I think the coaching miscues will catch up with us too.

Still can’t believe we defended the paint with half a second left up 3. That’s mind numbing.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We have too many games against good teams to continue to get away with the missed box outs, poor transition D, losing sight of defensive assignments and poor shot selection.

All of those things are correctable and the coaching staff continues to say they see the problems so I’ll keep hoping it clicks one of these games.

If it ever does we will more often be able to put away lesser teams and have a better chance of beating the better ones.

Until then we’ll likely continue to play close games and leave ourselves susceptible to a bad bounce or lucky shot deciding the fate of the game.
                            Last edited by pie n eye; February 9, 2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                              I agree and stated before the Temple game that we would begin a slide and difficult finish to the season AFTER
                              a win against Temple. Could very well start Wednesday. We just don't look as good as our record and I believe
                              our record will soon catch up with our average play. To continue our winning ways TE has to maintain his play and
                              most of the others must play better with one or two really stepping it up. I think that is possible with DD, we'll see.
                              AG has to start playing better defense and hit a higher %. The team has to start moving and sharing the ball and,
                              of course, rebounding has to improve. I have my doubts and am keeping my expectations in line with what I have
                              been seeing so far. If we do slide as I expect then what? The good news is we could return everyone. The bad
                              news is we could return everyone.
                              Unfortunately, here you may be prescient. Have had the same feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X