X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pie n eye
    replied
    Originally posted by DUShock View Post

As I said in my initial post, I believe it will be used against WSU because they played two non-D1 programs. The schedule, regardless of circumstance, is the excuse for the selection committee to use it against WSU if they so desire.
    I guess I’m just wondering specifically how it will be used against us. Do you mean as a tie breaker? Like if it comes down to us and one or a few other teams for the last spot are they going to decide based on number of total division 1 games played? If so then what can we really do? We attempted to get other games and no was was available or willing. Play a D2 opponent or play no opponent at all, it won’t change the total number of D1 games. Might as well get in some live practice/scrimmage.

A win against a non-D1 opponent is not a "resume builder" in fact a win by anything less than 20 ideally 30 could be used against WSU come selection time.
    It seems unlikely that point spread against D2 opponents will be considered by the committee. It is a weird year so I guess it’s not impossible.

There are ample opportunities in the conference to gather more wins, however conference play, especially in the AAC has not been kind to our beloved Shocks.
    We finished 2nd in our first year and got a five (four?) seed. All we can ask for are the opportunities to get wins. It’s up to the team to take advantage of them. If we’re not able to win enough to build a resume then we probably aren’t a tourney team anyways and two games against ESU and Newman aren’t going to change that.

My question to you is, what example do you have from previous NCAA selection years, leads you to believe that Wichita State will be given the benefit of the doubt by this group? My memory may be jaded and I am omitting something. How about that path to the final four when the Shocks were a one seed? It seemed then and still does today that the committee did Wichita State absolutely no favors, in fact I believe it was intentionally obstructionist.
    I’m just personally not inclined to go the conspiracy route. Is it possible there is some bias, intentional or otherwise, against WSU? Sure. I just don’t think it’s likely.

The committee changes members regularly and includes members from many different conferences. They’ve taken steps to increase the transparency and fairness of the selection process.

There are teams every year that get left out who should have been in and teams included that shouldn’t have. It’s just the nature of the challenge of seeding a tournament in which 300+ teams are competed for limited spots.

I think there is probably a portion of every fan base that feels as though they got the shaft in any given year.

Should KU fans complain when they get knocked out of the tourney as a 1 or 2 seed by Bradley, VCU, UNI, Bucknell, etc? Was there some conspiracy against them?

Regardless of any disagreement we may or may not have on this wonderful fan board, I do sincerely wish you and your family a Happy and Prosperous 2021.
    Thank you and the same to you!

Leave a comment:

• Blackmag
    replied
    Especially at home

Leave a comment:

• Blackmag
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

We've actually had really good luck getting Home and Homes with power five teams.

OU OSU
    KSU
    Missouri
    Baylor
    Seton Hall
    Alabama

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. The 24 hour turn around would be tough, but let's not act like other teams haven't been able to work out good replacement games.

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Blackmag
    replied
    Agree totally

Leave a comment:

• Blackmag
    replied
    Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

You are absolutely right. Its a scam anybody that can't see it is just blind. They always penalize the shocks. I remember the NCAA taken into account some power 5 schools having major injuries to star players at the beginning of a year and saiying that those early season losses should not count against their record for tournament selection. But then penalized the shocks Van Vleet`s senior year when we had so many injuries. The shocks were forced to play in the play in game against Vanderbilt. They would not have done that to a so-called power 5 school. There is no question thre is a double standard.

That being said I still root for the Shocks against Newman. Our young team needs games. Go shocks.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
    Unfortunately there will be more of this sort of thing as the season moves along. Hopefully not too much, but at least we get a game and we get more game time...is it still on ESPN+?
    6pm ESPN+

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Really good article. Sounds like they knew well before the conference announcement.

Leave a comment:

• Blackmag
    replied
    Unfortunately there will be more of this sort of thing as the season moves along. Hopefully not too much, but at least we get a game and we get more game time...is it still on ESPN+?

Leave a comment:

• wichshock65
    replied

Leave a comment:

• moshock
    replied
    I would have loved to see us play Mo State. Newman is better than sitting on our arse though.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

You know they made the calls. Heck the shockers cannot get power 5 schools to play them in home and home schedules when spending the entire summer making efforts to secure games. So what makes some of you all think they could get it done in a 24 hour turnaround. Come on Man!!!!!!
    We've actually had really good luck getting Home and Homes with power five teams.

OU OSU
    KSU
    Missouri
    Baylor
    Seton Hall
    Alabama

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. The 24 hour turn around would be tough, but let's not act like other teams haven't been able to work out good replacement games.

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Bottom line, even if the Shockers wanted to schedule a quality opponent it would have been next to impossible on such short notice. 238 D1 teams have/had a games scheduled already (Mon-Thurs) or are on Covid protocol. Virtually every Big 12, Valley, A-10, Summit, WAC or other somewhat regional team is already playing or on Covid protocol. It is unrealistic to think they would have been able to schedule anything significantly better that fit all of the criteria on such short notice.
    I don't think anyone is disputing it would be tough. But it being tough and not trying are two different things. It appears they at least tried so that makes the Newman game much more palatable.

Leave a comment:

• wichshock65
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Bottom line, even if the Shockers wanted to schedule a quality opponent it would have been next to impossible on such short notice. 238 D1 teams have/had a games scheduled already (Mon-Thurs) or are on Covid protocol. Virtually every Big 12, Valley, A-10, Summit, WAC or other somewhat regional team is already playing or on Covid protocol. It is unrealistic to think they would have been able to schedule anything significantly better that fit all of the criteria on such short notice.
    A Newman game will be a nice tune-up for Ole Miss. Hell, it will be like playing in the MVC again. Remember the days of emptying the bench at the end of most of our games?

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Meh.

I still say there is more to lose than gain by playing Newman.
    A team like OU would be a first choice. But an alternative like MSU would be the worst. A Valley team could beat the Shox, and if the Shox win, they get no Credit and if the Shox lose, they pay a lot. The Shox either play a regional Big 12 team, or they play Newman. There is no in between. If they did try to schedule a Regional Big 12 team and couldn’t do it, the only alternative was Newman.

Leave a comment:

• TheShocktocles
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I know some of this is directed at me ..

I'm 100% ok with Newman since they made the attempt to get something better. A game is better than no game and 2 weeks off before a game @Ole Miss.

The timing of the announcement of the cancel and the very quick announcement of the Newman game sure made it seem like not a lot of effort was made. But if HCIB said they made the calls ... They made the calls.
    You know they made the calls. Heck the shockers cannot get power 5 schools to play them in home and home schedules when spending the entire summer making efforts to secure games. So what makes some of you all think they could get it done in a 24 hour turnaround. Come on Man!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X