• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pie n eye
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

No mental gymnastics at all
    Would someone have tested positive? Yes ... Would half the team be considered a "close contact" of said positive if they weren't on a plane that same time? Likely no.

Sorry, logic isn't mental gymnastics ... It's just logic.
    Assumptions aren’t necessarily accurate, sorry. You’re making many assumptions in trying to justify your original opinion that SD tournament should be skipped.
    Last edited by pie n eye; December 28, 2020, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied
    Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Travel works 2 ways, testing works 2 ways.

Logistically speaking, in 2020-2021, it just isn't going to happen.

Remember Duke women's basketball has already quit. I doubt they are the last one that will.

Baseball will be a nightmare too. We might end up with a 1981 type looking schedule, heavy on the KCAC.

I'll be surprised if we play more than 1 or 2 midweek games by the time it's all said and done. And I'm not saying it's "right"....it just is what it is.
    You also declared the season over back in September October time frame so I’ll take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by pie n eye; December 28, 2020, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BOBB
    replied
    Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Remember Duke women's basketball has already quit. I doubt they are the last one that will.

Baseball will be a nightmare too. We might end up with a 1981 type looking schedule, heavy on the KCAC.

I'll be surprised if we play more than 1 or 2 midweek games by the time it's all said and done. And I'm not saying it's "right"....it just is what it is.
    I expect much more "regionality" in all but the highest level of college sports going forward. Covid has exposed an already creaky system.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Gardner scares the crap out of me. That is my assessment.
    Dexter did a nice defensive job and pretty much shut Gardner down two years ago. He didn’t play against them last year.

Leave a comment:

• asiseeit
    replied
    Start JB, CJ, RC, Porter and lil Wade.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Opportunity? We are coming off Christmas break and the guys were likely preparing to play ECU as soon as they returned.

Even if finding another opponent on 48 hours notice is as simple as “look at schedule, see no game, call team, game booked” (I doubt it), you have to consider the challenge of scouting a brand new opponent on short notice, developing a game plan, etc etc.

Again, I don’t think scheduling is as simple as you think but I could be wrong.
    Never once have said it was simple ... Not sure why everyone keeps equating to that. It's fairly obvious that no calls were made due to how quickly the newman game was scheduled. Taylor half confirmed that too.

As far as every downside you just noted... The other team would have the same hurdles. They would have to do a quick scout too. It would be no different than a tournament game. If there are other teams within driving distance that are open ... I don't see why we wouldn't make that call... But I'm not the coach.

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied

Also I understand the newman thing. Just now all our eggs are in the conference basket. Had an opportunity to maybe get a tournament level team on the schedule, but that's not what the coaches wanted. Which is fine.
    Opportunity? We are coming off Christmas break and the guys were likely preparing to play ECU as soon as they returned.

Even if finding another opponent on 48 hours notice is as simple as “look at schedule, see no game, call team, game booked” (I doubt it), you have to consider the challenge of scouting a brand new opponent on short notice, developing a game plan, etc etc.

Again, I don’t think scheduling is as simple as you think but I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied

This is a stretch.

They are testing the team regularly so whoever had Covid would have tested positive whether it was here or South Dakota. As far as I know they never said definitively who tested positive but considering the number of players who sat out it seems likely it was a player than an infected travel party member.

There’s a lot of mental gymnastics required to reach your conclusion.
    No mental gymnastics at all
    Would someone have tested positive? Yes ... Would half the team be considered a "close contact" of said positive if they weren't on a plane that same time? Likely no.

Sorry, logic isn't mental gymnastics ... It's just logic.

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied

I can name 1... WSU
    We don't go... We likely don't have to quarantine half our team because they sat on a plane with an infected travel party member to play in a tournament that was a shell of what we signed up for.

​​​​​The Missouri and OSU games likely look way different because we would have nearly the entire team for them and maybe even had an extra game before hand if we found something locally.

So no I don't need to argue it ... because it happened
    This is a stretch.

They are testing the team regularly so whoever had Covid would have tested positive whether it was here or South Dakota. As far as I know they never said definitively who tested positive but considering the number of players who sat out it seems likely it was a player rather than an infected travel party member.

There’s a lot of mental gymnastics required to reach your conclusion.
    Last edited by pie n eye; December 28, 2020, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied

Also, did any of the teams who played in the Mower Classic in SD develop Covid issues directly related to the tourney? If not, would be pretty tough to argue that playing that tournament would have been a negative in any way shape or form..
    I can name 1... WSU
    We don't go... We likely don't have to quarantine half our team because they sat on a plane with an infected travel party member to play in a tournament that was a shell of what we signed up for.

​​​​​The Missouri and OSU games likely look way different because we would have nearly the entire team for them and maybe even had an extra game before hand if we found something locally.

So no I don't need to argue it ... because it happened

Also I understand the newman thing. Just now all our eggs are in the conference basket. Had an opportunity to maybe get a tournament level team on the schedule, but that's not what the coaches wanted. Which is fine.

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied

Considering the reschedule was done like 20 min after the cancellation.... Doesn't seem like a lot of effort was put into getting ahold of anyone.
    I think you are still underestating the challenge of scheduling.

Also, did any of the teams who played in the Mower Classic in SD develop Covid issues directly related to the tourney? If not, would be pretty tough to argue that playing that tournament would have been a negative in any way shape or form.

The teams with the Covid issues picked them up in their home cities where the players are free to live their own lives and make their own decisions unlike road games where their schedules are pre determined and it’s much easier to keep them in a bubble.

Newman won’t help the tourney resume but it’s a game against a team that isn’t WSU. It should be a win and allow us to develop depth. It’s better than no game at all which was a likely outcome considering they had two days to find a replacement for ECU.

Leave a comment:

• TheShocktocles
    replied
    Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I guess it not so easy to pick up P5 schools or WSU just hoisted up the white flag on this season.
    You bet your sweet a$$ its not easy to pickup a power 5 school for a basketball game when your league game is canceled on Monday and your looking for a game on Wednesday. What world do you live in?

Oh I know. Next you will tell us Windmills cause cancer.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I guess it not so easy to pick up P5 schools or WSU just hoisted up the white flag on this season.
    Considering the reschedule was done like 20 min after the cancellation.... Doesn't seem like a lot of effort was put into getting ahold of anyone.

​​​​​​
    Last edited by Stickboy46; December 28, 2020, 01:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Hopefully they don't take the "Quick and Easy" approach to the coaching search that they are applying to these reschedules.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X